Baffled by this playcall

Viewing 4 reply threads

UteFanatic
      Ute Fan
      @utefanatic

I am with Hans on this one, this truly is a baffling playcall.  2nd & 2 and Troy Taylor dials up an out route?  This is unforgivable, a P5 OC should not be making errors like this.

Utahute72
      Ute Fan
      @utahute72

I disagree with Hans on this one. If they are stacking the box you can’t run up the middle unless you have complete dominance on the lines which we did not have. The route was open and you have to trust your QB can make that throw and the WR can make the catch. That should have been a completion and you move the chains.

If you look at the tape that would have been a two yard loss if we run it.

UteFanatic
        Ute Fan
        @utefanatic

The running game was working at this point in the game.  In addition, Huntley was overthrowing receivers and the receivers were dropping passes like crazy.  

jrj84105
        Ute Fan
        @jrj84105

I disagree with Hans and Taylor.  It’s 2nd and 2  and the run game is working well.  They have 7 in the box.  The correct call is pass but not a 4 yard out.  This is when you have to take a shot downfield and go for an explosive play.

Utahute72
          Ute Fan
          @utahute72

Or throw one over the middle to the zone vacated by the blitzers. They were susceptible to that all night, yet we seldom went there. One reason may be Huntley’s innate inaccuracy, which means they use the outs so if he overthrows it goes out of bounds. But in this case it’s 4th down.

prestitute
        Ute Fan
        @prestitute

Agreed. This one really looks like it on the receiver. That should have been an easy first down, and the coverage looked favorable.

WhiteyFisk
        Ute Fan
        @whiteyfisk

Correct. The reason they’re stacking the box is cause they don’t respect Huntley’s arm. He can’t throw accurately. 

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

The play worked though. They even pulled a lineman and they thought run. Catch the f**king BALL!! It was right in the basket. 

UteFanatic
        Ute Fan
        @utefanatic

That’s the problem, though.  WRs weren’t catching passes.  How many drops did we have before this play?

EagleMountainUte
          Ute Fan
          @battlegroundute

So let me get this straight good pocket good timing lead to a wide open wr and the PLAYCALL meant it would be a drop?  You understand the mental gymnastics you are putting yourself through to come to that conclusion? 

UteFanatic
            Ute Fan
            @utefanatic

You’re right, the playcalling was perfect.  The offense looked great!

EagleMountainUte
              Ute Fan
              @battlegroundute

Not what I am saying. I am saying Hans is wrong using this as an example. Drop passes are so hard to analyze. That was a perfect pass to the sticks to get a first down. I think this was Boyd had a big catch the next series as well. Hans doesn’t even seem convinced in this video of why it was a bad play call.

It is like how we bitch about the first series. Clear hold/PI no call on third down leads to an early punt. We go well it is the playcalling. You can’t blame the OC for s**t that isn’t his fault. Players got to make plays at some point. Edit: Sometimes Refs gotta throw flags.

UteFanatic
                Ute Fan
                @utefanatic

I hear you.  I am not an Xs and Os expert by any means; it just made sense to me what Hans was saying.  I can see that you disagree with him about his conclusions on this playcall, and that’s fine.  🙂

EagleMountainUte
                  Ute Fan
                  @battlegroundute

Well if the logic is don’t throw the ball because wideouts drop the ball what down can you depend on them?  Only when you HAVE to? It was only a short time later that Boyd made a great catch and run. 

NIU was keying on Moss all game this was a great play call just one thing went wrong. 

Utahute72
              Ute Fan
              @utahute72

I believe what he is saying is that coaching can only get you into a good play that should work, the ability to complete the play in on the players.

GameForAnyFuss
      Ute Fan
      @gameforanyfuss

No, no, and no.

If you want to criticize a play call, criticize the endzone fade route on 3rd and 6 from ~30 yard line. And we’ve done it 3 times in 2 games (twice against Weber, once last night)!

I’m not a big play call critic guy, but when you have one shot at 6 yards, why oh why would you throw a low-percentage pass to the endzone?

EagleMountainUte
        Ute Fan
        @battlegroundute

Hans has been lazy af on Utah this season. I am watching his other videos now. That one was straight up whack. 

jrj84105
        Ute Fan
        @jrj84105

That is the correct playcall for 2nd and 2 when the D is sold out on the run.

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

If he catches the ball would that make it a good call? I think some quick slants when they’re playing the run are easy peasy, but we seem to not ever do that.

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Baffled by this playcall