Bartle’s thoughts on Saturday’s scrimmage

Viewing 4 reply threads

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

Bartle thinks the defense looked amazing! He said that we could be deeper at the defensive line than we have ever been. He said that a number of guys are looking very good at linebacker. He feels that Bishop and Vake will be the defensive leaders.
      On the other hand – he did not give a positive report on the offense. He does feel good about filling the two positions on the offensive line and he said the running back group is stacked. He feels that the WR and TE groups need some help from the portal. (Of course, Kuithe is not participating in spring ball.) Bartle does not think that any of the QBs are ready to play yet. He said that they are all a work in progress. He indicated that he saw some flashes of their physical talent, but that they are slow to react.
      My thoughts – I am very pleased with what we are hearing about the defense (not a huge surprise). Without Kuithe and Rising (our two best players) not participating in spring ball – I guess I should not be too surprised by his less-than-stellar update. I was hoping that one of the young QBs would step up and be ready to play in case Cam is not ready.

3 1

Tednab
      Ute Fan
      @tednab

Can’t afford Kuithe nor Cam to take the beating they did last year again this year .. RBs need to be taking the load ; which I’m still skeptical their as stacked as they say they are . Maybe my expectations are to high ; Williams, Moss, booker . Hopefully JJ makes that leap .. WR no surprise there , same ole same ole

1 1

Charlie
        Ute Fan
        @charlie

RBs do need to increase the load. I don’t think Utah will have a workhorse 30 snaps pg kind of RB. But we could still be ok. Bernard is a unique RB with a wide range of skills. He is great catching the ball even down field but also good at picking up a blitz. Jackson will be the short yardage back but also has speed. Curry is also a back I like, he has just always been in a crowd and got hurt early last year. I think he will play a part. Glover will likely be improved in his second year. Randle and Stanley, if he plays RB, have promise but are yet to get started. We may not have an all conference RB but we have, I think, an awesome weapon for each need.

The TE group, I would expect would look rough given Kuithe out and two moved from other positions. The spring should be about getting them and Vaha ready. McClain needs to look ready to be on his schedule. The WRs should be more ready. Cope and Parks looked good last spring and should see the second year bump. We should be hearing about Matthews and Simmons if he is here. We need to hear a good report here.

PhiladelphiaUte
          Ute Fan
          @philadelphiaute

I think we DO have a “workhorse 30 snap pg kind of RB” (JQJ).  I also think we don’t even need one, as we also have Curry, Bernard, and Glover to keep him fresh, and/or step in should he get injured.  I love our depth at RB.  Always have.  But our depth at the WR/TE position is presenting Utah with additional options, which will also lessen the need for any of our tailbacks to get 30 touches.  We hadn’t really had this sort of passing/rushing tandem attack since 2004.

Of course our SOS will be a lot more challenging than our ’04 squad (we are facing USC, UWa, and Ore this year — 3 teams whose QBs rank #1, #2, and #4 in the nation per ESPN’s article earlier this morning), so I’m not suggesting we’re going 13-0.  I’m just saying I really like this team!

Charlie
            Ute Fan
            @charlie

There is ‘have’ and ‘the potential to have’. Since we have had a workhorse back in the past we should be able to spot them developing so I hope you are right. Along with their skill set they develop a very high level of ball security and have a body that holds up through lots of physical hits. Yes, our RBs also need other offensive weapons to develop to keep the defense guessing where to defend. If we have that workhorse back it will be because the rest of the offense does not allow others to focus on that back. We need the younger and new players in the passing game to take big steps to allow Rising and Kuithe a rolling start because they may not be at the top of their game at the start of the season. If the OL is as strong as expected everything else gets easier.

RustyShackleford
          Ute Fan
          @shakyute13

JJ should get double the carry’s bernard gets

Utes 69
            Ute Fan
            @slc123

Disagree with this, Bernard should be starting, watch the last  game against the zoobies, Bernard was the  only player on offense that was worth a crap. he can catch and run, JJ is still unproven, plus he is proe to fumble. 

alexsmith
              Ute Fan
              @alexsmith

That game was also 2 seasons ago

Charlie
                Ute Fan
                @charlie

Also 2 seasons ago was the best reception I have ever seen by a Utah RB in the first RB. Considering who defenses put on RBs Bernard gives us the opportunity to create massive mismatches. Ludwig hunts these opportunities so I expect to see Bernard hopefully running a route with a LBer.

chinngiskhaan
            Ute Fan
            @chinngiskhaan

I can see double the carries, but not double the snaps. Bernard should be the guy on most obvious passing downs. JJ should be the guy most of the time when running is advantageous.

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

I listened to some other media guys who were at the scrimmage this afternoon including Scott Mitchell.  Everyone is worried about QB.  No one person thinks that any of the new guys are ready to come in and beat Florida.  Some are suggesting Barnes will be the guy because the others have yet to show they can do it. (This has been my biggest concern about 2023.  If Cam cannot go in game 1 – what will we do?)

Everyone is praising the D and the offensive line.  That’s the positive message I am hearing.

1 2

Yergensen
        Ute Fan
        @yergensen

Coaching staff has had more than 2 years to get the heir apparent ready and next man up is a walk on? No bueno.

FtheY
      Ute Fan
      @fthey

This is exactly what I thought we’d hear. Bummer about the qb, te and wr. Portal help could really make an instant impact though if these guys aren’t able to develop before fall ball. 

If no portal guys, Ludwig will scheme around the talent he has. My guess is more play action to running back check downs, more Nate Johnson runs and Bernard takes the McCormick/Vickers role up another notch. I believe we are very deep on the d line. But….that’s much different than being deep AND crowning a new mayor (or two) of sack lake city. We need this more than ever. 

DataUte
      Ute Fan
      @scotwaye

With a deep DL, hopefully, teams have to double someone and that frees up others to make havoc.

If Rose or Johnson aren’t ready to go (still have more spring and fall camp to get better) AND Cam isn’t ready to go for Florida, that would suck if Barnes had to get the start, but he could manage the game (expectation is no turnovers, heavy run game with some play action pass – Bryson also is sneaky on runs and pick up an occassional 10-15 yards).

We have to remember FL lost Richardson and has to break in a new QB in their 1st game as well @ Utah.

2 players changed position to TE (one DL that seems like he will focus mostly on blocking first and another from WR that will need to learn to block). With Yassmin being a freak and Kuithe coming back (along with a couple other recruits), I’m not too worried. We do use 1-2 TE often as we run a lot of 11 and 12 packages. Obviously we also need some WR to open up the field and make some catches. Kuithe is really a WR/halfback mix (in NFL projections, he was not put as a TE).

RB is deep. I would love to see games like Stanford a couple years ago with 3 100 yard rushers. Bernard coming back adds a lot of versatility (good runner, can catch passes, picks up blitzes well). JCJ is the big back with speed. Glover is good. Curry healthy should get carries. We might have 4 different leading rushers (hopefully not 5 as that would likely be a qb) in games during the year.

I hope we have 200+ yards/gm rushing, a TE that leads receptions (and yards), 2 WR with 500 yards. I would guess any qb is in the 2000-2500 yard range (while 2-3 PAC12 qbs will likely get around 4000). With our defense, running game, and servicable kicker, I hope we play strong Whitt-ball. Control time (7/8 minute drives), play field position, bend but don’t break defense (nm, 3 and out everytime with negative yards from sacks). 

Mule
        Ute Fan
        @mule

Two edge sword here. It’s great to hear that the D looks good. But do they just look good because they’re going against the offense, which isn’t that good (yet)? 🤷‍♂️

D T
          Ute Fan
          @azute1

Based upon all logical factors, our O’s struggling in large part because of our D.

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Bartle’s thoughts on Saturday’s scrimmage

• This topic has 15 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by D T.