Because the Tuttle situation hasn’t been discussed enough..

Viewing 5 reply threads

SalUteopia
      Ute Fan
      @saluteopia

..I’ll add some more thoughts.

It is assumed that we did not recruit other QBs because we wanted to keep Tuttle happy. If you go to those lengths to land a kid, giving him mop-up duty seems less pandering in comparison (assuming playtime was the reason he transferred). Sure, this would set a wrong precedent, but you already kinda did that with the no-scholies-to-other-QBs promise. 

Then we learn that Tuttle had not earned his playtime, and the coaches didn’t want to treat him differently (and rightly so). Also that Taylor has a good thing going with Daniels, and we’re going hard after him. 

I’m not criticizing our coaches and don’t believe that they botched this, but the two narratives simply aren’t consistent. There has to be more to the story. I guess we’ll never know. I’m completely baffled. Just trying to seek more clarity.

Duhwayne
      Ute Fan
      @duhwayne

I don’t care who the player is, the program is always more important. This isn’t high school and we don’t care what the mom thinks. The end.

SalUteopia
        Ute Fan
        @saluteopia

Can’t argue with that.

jrj84105
      Ute Fan
      @jrj84105

People who remain confused seem unwilling to accept 1 possibility: Shelley is a better QB.

If there’s mop up duty, wouldn’t you give it to Shelley since HE is the better QB and you don’t want to risk SHELLEY transferring?  Why would you even be thinking about the 3rd string kid?

Also, it’s entirely normal to only take one QB in a class, because that guarantees the kid reps.  Schools fudge that promise by taking another QB as an athlete (how we landed Shelley while recruiting other QBs) or offering another QB a gray shirt opportunity like we did with the BYU kid.

Tony (admin)
        Admin/Founder
        @admin

I saw both Shelley and Tuttle in the spring game. Shelley was the clear #2 then. That’s not to say that in a year or two Tuttle wouldn’t be a tremendous college football QB.

Grayshirt
          Ute Fan
          @grayshirt

From what I remember from being there watching the QB’s closely, I would have ranked Lisk and Shelley as the top 2 QB’s.  From THAT small window that we got to see. 

SalUteopia
        Ute Fan
        @saluteopia

This is a great point. Shelley did not come with the same fanfare, so he doesn’t get much love. But as many have observed, he is probably the best #2 currently.

Central Coast Ute
      Ute Fan
      @flip2848

I don’t think that what you call the two narratives are inconsistent. They didn’t go after Wilson in order to appease Tuttle. Then he arrives on campus and doesn’t impress. Plus, they can’t just not recruit future QB’s like Daniels. They can tell Tuttle that they won’t go after another QB the same year as him to get him to commit because they would have rather had Tuttle than Wilson. But they can’t tell him that he’s the annointed one and that he’ll be playing from day one and not go after another QB that could possibly take his spot.

SkinyUte
      Ute Fan
      @skinyute

Maybe we should wait and see if the Wilson kid is even worth a crap before gnashing our collective teeth about not going after him.

He had one good game against a horrid Hawaii defense, and suddenly he’s the “one that got away”? C’mon man.

EagleMountainUte
        Ute Fan
        @battlegroundute

Amen. Utah will crush him soon enough. 

Chidojuan
          Ute Fan
          @chidojuan

Yup, go and watch the Hans Olsen videos on that game.  Hawaii may have the worst defense in CFB.  

UteThunder
        Ute Fan
        @utethunder

I don’t care how bad Hawaii’s defense is. How many true freshman QBs can come in and play as well as he did in their first collegiate start against a D1 team? He completed 66% of his passes with 3 TDs and rushed for another TD to boot. 

I’m not saying Wilson is going to be an All-American, but one thing is for sure. His dream school was Utah and we let what appears to be a very talented QB go to BYU so that we could sign a primma donna who didn’t stick with the program for one full season.

Chidojuan
          Ute Fan
          @chidojuan

Hypothetically any equally talented true freshman who had a better OL and WR.  Zach did well against a horrible defense.  Good on him.  Why does it matter anymore if we missed our opportunity with him?

UteThunder
            Ute Fan
            @utethunder

It matters for two reasons. 1) BYU would NOT have him and 2) With our history of QBs, we can use every talented QB we can get.

Chidojuan
              Ute Fan
              @chidojuan

We might just have to agree to disagree. Who cares who BYU has? They’re not in our conference. Sure we compete for recruits, but less so than the other schools in the Pac-12. We also have a talented back up who I think will develop as much as Tuttle could have. It’s frustrating to lose good recruits, but I just don’t think it matters in the long run, and Onlyu mentioned that the team is focused and ready for SC, so it doesn’t seem to matter at all.

EagleMountainUte
                Ute Fan
                @battlegroundute

TDS athletes are wasted talent if they are good players. But other than that yeah it kind of sucks if Utah misses out on a player. 

This qb is not going to have a good game against Utah. 

homer
          Ute Fan
          @homer

Earlier this year, Tuttle was lauded as a hard working, studius, humble kid who says all the right things and leads by example. 

Now he’s a prima-donna.. . .

For whatever reasons, the kid decided Utah isn’t the right place right now. I’d wager he didn’t make this decision in isolation. 

Maybe this is a win win for Utah football and Jack Tuttle.

ironman1315
            Ute Fan
            @ironman1315

Well, new facts do tend to change opinions. He could very well be a hard worker and a prima Donna. Karl Malone certainly was.

EagleMountainUte
            Ute Fan
            @battlegroundute

I don’t know who said any of that. All I heard was he was a five star highly sought after third string QB. His picks were very typical freshman in the Spring game from what I remember. 

People loved him because he really wanted other kids to come to Utah. He was very complimentary of Taylor despite knowing nothing about it. He said all the right things for Utah fans to love him. All the while I heard depth wise he was very much third string.  

SalUteopia
        Ute Fan
        @saluteopia

This is not about Z Wilson (couldn’t care less about him); this is about the exclusivity promise. We didn’t do that with T Wilson or Huntley. Now I understand why we did that with Tuttle, but it may have set a precedent for a high-maintenance relationship. In a way, I’m glad that Whitt called it off before it was too late.

UteThunder
          Ute Fan
          @utethunder

What do you mean by “Whitt called it off”?

SalUteopia
            Ute Fan
            @saluteopia

Wrong choice of words. Meant to say, coaches could have given in to his whims or they could’ve done whatever it takes to make him stay. They clearly did not do that.

UteThunder
              Ute Fan
              @utethunder

Oh, okay, that makes sense.

Jim
      Ute Fan
      @footballfan32

I’m really not surprised that Tuttle is transferring. The Tuttle family threatened to transfer before his sophomore year in high school with an All-CIF 3-star senior QB ahead of him. Daddy Tuttle was put on the coaching staff and mommy Tuttle on the board of the booster club and the senior found his way to the bench. I guess this isn’t high school anymore.

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Because the Tuttle situation hasn’t been discussed enough..