Bentley

Viewing 7 reply threads
      3 5

Distantute
      Ute Fan
      @distantute

Bentley is awful. This team isnt going anywhere next year if hes starting. I also don’t understand why b thompson wasnt playing much last night? Hes an nfl talent and the only real threat we have as a wr.

2 3

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

I agree.  Unfortunately, the only starting Ute QB as bad as Bentley in the last 25 years was John Hays and he was never intended to be a starter.  I don’t understand how a guy with so much experience can be that bad.

3 1

concerned
      Ute Fan
      @concerned

I cant imagine there is more than a 0% chance Bentley would start next year. I imagine there is a 100% chnace they are trying to bring in another transfer. I imagine there is a 80% chance Bentely transfers after the season.

2 5

Cesar Chavez
      Ute Fan
      @le-cockgrande

you’re an idiot! this is bentleys second start, and also Risen was getting most of the reps through out fall camp. It takes time for any QB to get in sync with his receivers. If he get the starting job in 2021 with 2 or 3 good receivers, Bentley will put up video game numbers.

3 2

chinngiskhaan
        Ute Fan
        @chinngiskhaan

an idiot? Really? Any QB worth anything doesn’t miss the throws that Bentley missed.

It is Bentley’s fault the game was as close as it was. If he hits Kuithe on those two TD throws, the game is over before halftime. He is beyond terrible.

Trailgoat
      Ute Fan
      @utahgoat

Hate to say Utes may lose Ennis and Thompson as well if these guys are working to go to the NFL. Wasted talent while Utes try to figure out the offense issues. Outside the run game, Utah’s offense looks confused.

Hellhound152
        Ute Fan
        @hellhound152

Thompson is not going anywhere and is Enis going to take his 30 catches in 3 years with him when he transfers? How will the Utes ever make up his tremendous production?

Utah5410
      Ute Fan
      @utah5410

Cesar Chavez…. really. Dude is tied for the most starts of any current active started in CFB. Dude can’t even make basic throws. Covid aside and lack of team chemistry aside. Dude can’t read defenses or make basic throws to covey and kuithe. Coaches have no confidence in Bentley

Utah5410
      Ute Fan
      @utah5410

I agree. Thompson and Enid could go. Enid for sure. Unreal we cans never figure out the throw game.

Central Coast Ute
      Ute Fan
      @flip2848

As far as Bentely goes, I highly doubt he will be starting next year. It be Rising or another grad transfer, unless Costelli really impressed when he gets here. Bentely will transfer. As far as Thompson, I thought I heard he was hurt so that’s why you didnt see him much.

I agree with others here, Enis is gone, possibly Thompson too. Can’t keep good receivers if we can’t get them the ball.

Onlyu
        Ute Fan
        @uf8fl

BT wasn’t supposed to play at all…neck injury from last week. Mostly used as a decoy tonight. He’s WR1 and has no designs on leaving but he’s also been hurt parts of 3 years now so has to find a way to stay healthy. Tyler Huntley is on an NFL roster and wasn’t able to get Solo the ball the previous two years. Strong hands, great teammate, willing and committed blocker but when was the last time you saw him running free in space? The ball finds the open guy more often than not…period. I’m proud of Solo as a Ute but the expectation here compared to his true skill set in this league doesn’t completely line up IMO. I’d love him to stay because he’s a great kid and has talent that can help us but the portal has proven in 80-90% of the cases that the schools these kids are leaving have been right about the players usage and ability.

Not happy with Jake’s inconsistency so far. Looks different from one throw to the next. Sloppy play all around but there is a large amount of talent on the hill which will be strengthened by another outstanding recruiting class with a few stud missionaries returning as well.

This season has been hard to take but I like where it’s heading…2 games and on to next Fall and the development that we’re accustomed to seeing.

1 5

idahoute
          Ute Fan
          @tfute

OnlyU, sure appreciate all your insight and insider info you are allowed and feel comfortable sharing.  I hang on every word you write.

I know personally some coaches and players as well.  Without sharing sources but worth discussing is our QB situation.  I’ve been told by parents close to PC at MV that he isn’t that good.  (I know, I know that doesn’t mean anything and I have personally watched the highlight and twitter videos of him and don’t see much weakness) but given our history of QB recruiting blunders I am really worried that we are putting all eggs in one basket so early and passing up on a legacy kid… JD.  I fear we are snakebit at the QB position if you look at our past, present cluster and possible future epic misstep.  

please football Gods let me be terribly wrong….

Onlyu
            Ute Fan
            @uf8fl

With Costelli that makes four straight 4 star QB’s in the program. Tuttle, Rising and Bentley are the other 3. Granted two of those we didn’t land out of high school and one left the program.

My point is they were all highly coveted and held multiple major offers so I’m not sure it’s us that’s missing on them.. They were also highly rated by the recruiting services. Rising is real… Costelli is a little bit of a project similar to Huntley who developed extremely well from his freshman year to his Sr year here so I don’t share the same feelings as you do about the QB position.

Sometimes it’s the kid and sometimes it’s the situation but getting it all to mesh is a crapshoot at that position and you do the best you can. We see can’t miss prospects miss and we see 2-3 star guys become All Pac12 performers all the time.

1 4

idahoute
              Ute Fan
              @tfute

Thanks for the response.  I get it.  It is a crap shoot.  I don’t know what is said or promised to recruits but it seems uncharacteristic and dangerous of the program to promise a kid a position having never played a down.  I get the feeling that PC has been promised something he hasn’t earned and for all we know the better player is down the street.  Too bad we can’t promise both guys the opportunity to compete for the spot like every other position.  We all know each guy is one play away from starting.  It is really unlikely that a QB is never going to see the sideline during his tenure either due to injury or play so the other guy will at some point start and if he is good earn and keep the spot.   We need JD.  Really frustrated and confused that for some reason we can’t or won’t pursue him as well as PC….

Charlie
                Ute Fan
                @charlie

Lot’s of assumptions here. No reason to assume PC has been promised something, not seen anything like that in the Utah program. One thing I know for certain, HS parents are absolutely the very worst source for information. Compared to paid recruiting services and Utah evaluations, this info is useless. There is no reason to make assumptions about Rising, he very well could be a top Pac QB. I have to believe he is a good option until proven wrong. I don’t agree with your assessment with our QBs. Ludwig has been busy delivering as many promising QB options as could be expected in his time. Who could have foreseen the Tuttle situation? Who knows where Rising could have taken us without an injury? Bentley is not meeting expectations, however, not all of our offensive issues are QB.

Do we know if Dart had interest in Utah, don’t assume legacy kids don’t want to leave home? He came on strong late, Utah already had a plan, and I expect we would be going nuts if Utah waited this late to settle on the class QB. Next, USC or bigger schools may sometimes bring in two highly rated QBs in a class, but that is not possible for Utah. In addition, there are other needs in this unusual time. I expect that if he was open to be considered an ath, possibly a safety like Hansen, he would have an easy path to Utah. Key question, is Dart interested in Utah?

Right now Utah has a very good class in the top half of the Pac while competing with 11 others that all enjoy many advantages over Utah. Without detail about what is actually going on, it is hard for me to be critical.

Onlyu
                Ute Fan
                @uf8fl

The days of promises ended with Tuttle’s dad I can assure you. You have to have faith that these coaches have learned how to recruit top players and based on the last two classes it’s clear they have. There are no promises at QB or any other spot and if JD wanted in he most certainly had/has the opportunity to come in and compete. Now it makes zero sense to announce that publicly because you could alienate Costelli and have no guarantees Dart wants in. Why risk something you are already thrilled about having?

Maybe he wants to be somewhere else or maybe he was frustrated with the timing or lack of our communication but either way he knew months ago that he had the opportunity to be a Ute.

There is a lot that goes on behind the scenes that is never discussed publicly in recruiting. You just have to decide if you trust the competence of the staff you’re pulling for.

2 1

idahoute
                  Ute Fan
                  @tfute

Ok, I’m with you and Charlie.  I’m obviously looking at the situation through the retrospective glasses of Tuttle/Wilson.  I just hope that the U staff are 100% sure they have given JD their best pitch and if like you said it is timing or lack of communication that has been the divide we have made damn sure to rectify it and tell him he can compete and very likely become the starting QB for the University of Utah playing in front of family and friends.  Shouldn’t be a hard sell IMHO

1 3

AZUteFan
            Ute Fan
            @azutefan

idahoute is spot on!  The QB position has been mismanaged.  I don’t entirely fault the coaches for the ZW/Jack Tuttle situation, but why does the Costelli/Dart situation feel like deja vu?

Hope I’m wrong, too!

Central Coast Ute
            Ute Fan
            @flip2848

How do you figure Dart wants to go to Utah? It seems to me a lot of people on this site think if the Utes offer, he’ll come. From what I understand he wants to leave the state.

Viewing 7 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.