Best and worst football games against Arizona

Viewing 4 reply threads

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

Since we are playing the Wildcats this weekend – I considered which games against Arizona were the best and the worst.

The Best

In 1972, we played Arizona at home on our newly installed astroturf.  We played poorly for three quarters and trailed the Wildcats 27-0 going into the 4th.  I wanted to leave the game.  However, I was talked into staying.  I believe half the fans left.  Utah scored a couple of TDs on passes to Odom to make it 27-14.  That gave me hope.  However,  Arizona started a long drive and was taking time off the clock.  They were in Utah’s territory with about five minutes to play.  Steve Marshall intercepted a pass and took it to the house to make the score 27-21.  Utah got the ball back one more time and drove down the field.  With ten seconds to play Utah’s QB, Van Galder ran a QB keeper for five yards to win the game 28-27.

The Worst

In 1969, all that Utah had to do is beat Arizona in Tuscon on November 15th to win the outright conference championship.  We had upset powerhouse ASU 24-23 earlier in the year.  We had tied for the WAC championship in 1964 but had never won it outright.  We led late in the game 16-14.  Unfortunately, Arizona got into Utah’s territory and kicked a game-winning field goal to win 17-16.  This loss and Super Bowl III are the most difficult losses in my memory.

Yergensen
      Ute Fan
      @yergensen

Can’t opine on either of those games.

In my fan experience the 94 Freedom Bowl win over Desert Swarm and Tedy Bruschi ranks highest for me. One of AZ best teams.

Question, did we win or lose that AZ game we false started 25 times? 

utefansince79
        Ute Fan
        @utefansince79

The November game perhaps 7-10 years ago where forecast was for rain and we all thought “those Wildcat players used to the Arizona sun will be at a disadvantage”.

Seeing the forecast, RichRod had his team practice at night with the sprinklers running, and that night (can’t remember the score without looking it up but it wasn’t close) they came in and took the Utes to the proverbial woodshed with steady rain all four quarters.

I was one of the few who braved it out until the very bitter end.  Was greatful for a change into warm clothing and a warm drink when I finally arrived home.

Was rather young when we set the NCAA record (at the time) for biggest comeback in the 28-27 game in 72 but recall people raving about it the following week.

Tony (admin)
        Admin/Founder
        @admin

I believe we won that game. Wasn’t that when we found out they were illegally making false signals on defense to make the offense jump? 

Yergensen
          Ute Fan
          @yergensen

Yeah, I thought we might have won that game. Utefansince79 references the game we lost to RichRod.

This new AZ team is well coached and NIL funded. They’re going to play us tough.

UtahPilot47
      Ute Fan
      @utahpilot

How can we forget the 1994 Freedom Bowl against Arizona’s Desert Swarm?  Late 4th quarter touchdown to Dyson on 4th down… finished the season ranked #10. A big step in the growth of this program.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_7_hhpvFRU

utefansince79
        Ute Fan
        @utefansince79

That 1994 Bowl game was crazy.  Our defense was outstanding that year led by Luther Elliss but we had a respectable offense.   In Anaheim the offense could not do anything against Zona, but scored 2 TDs on possessions that started inside the 10 (one after a fumble recovery, then another late one after Cal Beck had a long runback).  We ended up with about 75 yards offense and Zona had around 150 yards or so.

A stellar season for the WAC who had 3 ranked teams when the final polls came out as CSU and BYU both had good teams that year as well.  CSU had beaten Arizona earlier, BYU had won at South Bend, and Utah had won at Oregon (who went to the Rose Bowl that year) 

SOWhat
      Ute Fan
      @sowhat

We were there, we stayed, we have never left a game early. My kids and their kids go to the U games, they never leave early.
      GO UTES!!

ProudUte
        Ute Fan
        @proudute

You are more dedicated than me. 🙂

X723
      Ute Fan
      @x723

Super Bowl III What a day for me a jr. in High school won 500.00 that day

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Best and worst football games against Arizona