Big Plays

Viewing 10 reply threads

Wilson’s Mustache
      Ute Fan
      @sigmaute

Does anyone else find it odd that, to my knowledge, have yet to have a big offensive play go for a touchdown through 4 weeks of the season?

I could be wrong, but even if we’ve had one it would still be unusual. Utah hasn’t been an explosive team for a while now, but we still would occasionally have big plays.

utahsportsguy
      Ute Fan
      @utahsportsguy

we had a pick 6 against AZ which is better than nothing. We’ve also had a few 40 yard pass plays. 

Wilson’s Mustache
        Ute Fan
        @sigmaute

I’m thinking offensive plays.

Anonymous
          Ute Fan
          @anonymous

We’ve had quite a few “offensive” plays. 🙂

gUrthBrooks
          Ute Fan
          @hammer

from the Utah 20 to the BYU 32 – but not a TD

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

Define big play. 

GameForAnyFuss
        Ute Fan
        @gameforanyfuss

I’ve seen “Phantom of the Opera” and “Wicked” on Broadway. Those were both pretty big plays.

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

Yeah I am trying to think of any huge chunk plays that went for a TD. Boobie Hobbs runs lately have been pretty good. 

sweetgrass
      Ute Fan
      @sweetgrass

20 second mark

27 yard TD

Wilson’s Mustache
        Ute Fan
        @sigmaute

So a 26 yard pass is our most explosive scoring play. Thats concerning.

The point of this question is as it relates to Red Zone struggles, it would be great if we could get some TD strikes outside the 20 yard line. We tend to be able to drive methodically down the field and then stall within the 10 yard line. I wonder if defenses just aren’t respecting our run game so it hurts our deep passing game.

PlainsUte
      Ute Fan
      @plainsute

Converting 3rd and 18 was pretty big!

AllInUteFan
      Ute Fan
      @allinutefan

Many variables at play. Here’s my starter list off the top of my head.:

Huntley has been accurate, except on the deep balls

Moss doesn’t have Williams’ second (or third) gear

Offensive line isn’t getting to the second level on run plays

Offense feels like it has lots of WR screens and short routes. Correlated to first point?

Only four games so far – Huntley and offense have yet to mature

We haven’t played UCLA 🙂

utahsportsguy
      Ute Fan
      @utahsportsguy

the bigger red flag right now is our inability to score td’s consistently in the redzone, tbh…

Wilson’s Mustache
        Ute Fan
        @sigmaute

Yeah I get that. That’s why I raised the question. It would be nice to be able to get some scores without getting bogged down within the red zone.

THEeyepatch
          Ute Fan
          @theeyepatch1

That’s what I was talking about the other day. Neither Huntley or Williams can hit the receiver in stride. Those are how you get big plays. We know the running game isn’t going to do it… Maybe against UCLA and their atrocious run ‘D’ haha?

Utahute72
      Ute Fan
      @utahute72

I think you’re more likely to get longer scoring plays with Williams at QB, because he is more accurate down the field, and takes those shots more often.  Huntley on the other hand is better at taking the short to intermediate stuff to move the chains.  

MotherJabubu
      Ute Fan
      @motherjabubu

lot’s of troll responses

We’ve had streaking WRs open all year, but so far Huntley and Williams haven’t been able to hit anybody in stride deep. Both of them need to work on their touch, especially for the deep ball. Other than that.. we were a bit spoiled on long rushing TDs last year because Joe is so god damn fast

UtMtBiker
      Ute Fan
      @utmtbiker

It’s because we haven’t pushed the ball down the field. Prior to the AZ game we had only thrown the ball more than 20 yds down the field 4 times and 2 were on Huntley scrambles where the WR adjusted his route and went up the field. I haven’t tallied up after the AZ game but I only can recall 2 deep throws. The deep ball isn’t strength of Troy Taylor’s offense. It’s your typical dink and dunk, high percentage, keep the chains moving type of offense.

The problems come when a defense is happy to let you take that and force FG’s. When you don’t take a few shots it also makes the running game very difficult. When the running game is weak, play action (typically big shot plays) aren’t effective.

I really don’t see this offense as any improvement over last year which really isn’t that bad. We won 9 games and were very very close on 2 more. I think we are pretty much in the same place but with an improved QB situation.

Viewing 10 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.