Big recruiting weekend for the local kids

Viewing 4 reply threads

RiseasUtes
      Ute Fan
      @riseasutes

Nine guys visiting this weekend.  The list includes Siaki Ika DT(projected to Alabama), Simote Pepa, DT, Lolani Langi, OLB, Chase Roberts WR(BYU-p commit), Logan Sagapalu, OC(projected to Oregon).  Would be nice if we could land a few of them, especially Langi and Pepa.  I’m guessing Tafuna will also be up there to help convince them.  I’m not sure who all the others are that are coming, but put this list together based on what I’ve seen from several sites/tweets.

https://mobile.twitter.com/SBartle247/status/1070938116733583360

jamarcus24
      Ute Fan
      @jamarcus24

Lol at Nick Saban.  He ranked his Bama squad at #2 behind Clemson.

highlandute7
      Ute Fan
      @highlandute7

If Ika and Sagapalu do end up at Alabama and Oregon, I will be following their progress.

It seems like we won’t get either which is really disappointing given that Ika played at East and steps away from RES. And we could use a center.

RiseasUtes
        Ute Fan
        @riseasutes

To be fair to Ika, he only moved to Utah from Tonga to play football at East.  So he didn’t grow up here, would still be great to get him but I can’t really blame him for wanting Bama if he ends up there.

highlandute7
          Ute Fan
          @highlandute7

Didn’t know that. Thanks for pointing it out. 

prestitute
          Ute Fan
          @prestitute

I am hoping the coaches are fair but that they point out the talent we are developing and putting into the NFL vs. the number of great players who almost never see the field at Bama. We have plenty of examples, of that. There are a lot of kids that would have been stars here that never really see the field elsewhere, not because they weren’t good enough, but because I believe Utah does a better job of DEVELOPING and IMPROVING talent whereas USC/BAMA, seem more like they just plug the best talent in and liit chances to other players.

highlandute7
            Ute Fan
            @highlandute7

Completely agree with this. What’s better – going to Alabama and sitting on the bench or going to Utah and becoming an all-Pac12 player and NFL draft pick?

Stone
            Ute Fan
            @stone

I agree with this approach, the problem is that most kids being recruited by Bama believe that they will start at Bama. If they are good enough to have Saban calling and visiting them, they have been stars for a long time, and their mindset is that they will continue to be stars. Obviously, the numbers just don’t play out that way, but it is typically only in hindsight that the recruit can realize that he would have been better off somewhere where playing time and development was available.

User Suspended
              @a2ute

I would imagine a stud HS player who has Saban telling him what he wants to hear would jump at a bama offer – it’s the ultimate ego stroke.

The reality is that you will need to be exceptional from day 1 at bama – if not you’re buried on the depth chart and then they move on to the next *5 star stud. No room for error.

But at 18 you think you’re the sh+t.

radio_rahim76
          Ute Fan
          @phill

Apu (Siaki) been in SL valley for a while, watched him play little league football for East and AAU basketball when he was still in middle school …avid BYU fan in those days, hope he sees the light and comes to the U!

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

Where do you hide all the MOREmans?

RiseasUtes
      Ute Fan
      @riseasutes
Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Big recruiting weekend for the local kids