Bloodletting continues at ESPN…

Viewing 4 reply threads

PlainsUte
      Ute Fan
      @plainsute

Probably also the end of escalation in conference/team TV contracts, though that is still something that will grab a live audience.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/espn-will-cut-100-air-personalities-today-123057142.html

6 1

GameForAnyFuss
      Ute Fan
      @gameforanyfuss

I really think this still says more about ESPN itself than it does about the general state of sports. ESPN is now paying the price for its programming decisions, such as:
      – Trying to become a football-only network
      – Deciding to focus their programming around people talking about sports instead of sports themselves
      – Trying to politicize/socialize sports
      – Hitching their wagon to non-sports like poker and spelling bees
      The sports world is fine. It’s ESPN that is having a day of reckoning here.

PlainsUte
        Ute Fan
        @plainsute

Yeah, should have went with Dodge Ball or Pinochle, instead. 😉
        I suppose the other networks, not being exclusively sports, can absorb any short-term losses for sports rights in the name of using sports to promote its other shows.

Coreyc04
        Ute Fan
        @greenstormute

The biggest reason ESPN is dying is because it has hitched its wagon to cable and satellite providers. They should create a package you can buy separate from them for a monthly fee. They have had this happen and now many other competitors for your eyeballs have come about as well with top notch sports programming. They used to be a monopoly in this space and now they are in big trouble.

utefansince79
          Ute Fan
          @utefansince79

I noted on another board that ESPN has in the past been getting lots of money from cable/satelite subscribers who watch little/no sports.  Many of those people are moving over to netflix/hulu/etc now.

Anonymous
        Inactive

This has much more to do with the changing technology landscape than any of the things you listed.

But I agree, they’ve become the MTV of sports broadcasting.

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

Wait a minute. There are 100 air personalities to fire? Wow.

Coreyc04
      Ute Fan
      @greenstormute

I think the Zoobs should be scared because this means they are very expendable by ESPN. I doubt they get near the money this time around because of this.

Heidi Keever
      Ute Fan
      @misspeach

I saw in Facebook, so I’m not real sure how true it is, but Mark May is also gone.

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Misc Bloodletting continues at ESPN…