Butler-Byrd

Viewing 3 reply threads

ChooseTheRed
      Ute Fan
      @choosethered

The news today is not good.  I hate to say it, but if alcohol was involved, I’d be less concerned (i.e., the behavior makes more sense in the nonsensical realm of alcohol-induced lapses in judgment).  That’s not to say there would be no concern but just less concern than if this is his character or a mental health concern or something impulsive, etc.  I do not envy Whitt and Co. in their task of figuring out how to handle this.  Given the loaded topics of racial tensions, support for/ opposition to law enforcement that are so hot right now, they’re in tricky waters.  Obviously they know much more about the situation and Cory than I do so I’ll have to trust that their best judgment will be sufficient to help Cory and respect the issues involved.  Still a bummer.

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

What are the basics of the news?

Tony (admin)
        Admin/Founder
        @admin

Ugh.  Just found it. Unfortunately it would seem CBB is a troubled kid. Hope he gets it straightened out.

On July 27, University of Utah campus police heard what they described as “a loud pop and the sound of glass shattering” on the southside patrol room on their building, according to a probable cause statement. When officers went outside, they made contact with Butler-Byrd, 21, who they say was “preparing to throw a large white sign.”

Butler-Byrd was arrested at the scene, whereupon officers discovered one of the patrol cars had a rear windshield smashed and large dents on the roof of the vehicle, according to the probable cause statement.

Officers later recovered video footage that showed Butler-Byrd standing on the patrol car’s roof jumping up and down. Officers said Butler-Byrd admitted to damaging the patrol vehicle and breaking into the patrol room. Butler-Byrd told officers he threw a piece of wood through the building’s window.

Utah
      Ute Fan
      @utah

Here’s my take:

It’s a bad thing that he did. But, it’s not that big of a deal. He’s a kid with a rough, rough background. With a rough background, you become angry. For the most part, Butler-Byrd has used that anger to help him become an excellent football player.

The other night, that anger took him to a bad place.

He didn’t hurt anyone. He did some damage, but it was less than $1,500 worth. Most of us “responsible” adults over 25 should have 10 times that in a bank account (and if we don’t have that saved up for an emergency, do we have a mental issue? I mean, who would be dumb enough to NOT have that much saved up for an emergency, right?).

Butler-Byrd will have to face the consequences for his actions. After he has done that, I would LOVE to have him back at Utah. This is what Utah football is. Taking boys and helping them become men.

I’d bet B-B is back for BYU if not sooner.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 8 months ago by Utah.

Anonymous
        Inactive

The motivation for jumping on the police car is the concerning thing to me.  I don’t care about your background and what your history is.  Being a scholarship athlete is a pretty great privilege and one should act accordingly.  I agree 100% with the decision and I agree that he will most likely be back for the BYU game.  Which I would agree is a great decision because tossing them off the team entirely just leads them down that path of self destruction.

leftyjace
      Ute Fan
      @leftyjace

This is a tough one.

That is really, out-there behavior.

Look at in the context of someone NOT on the football team.

What would you do, how would you think, if that was your brother or sister or son or daughter?

I’m really worried about this kid. I think football should be the least of his worries and concerns right now. And I honestly don’t think he should have a place on the football team until he gets his s**t together.

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.