Byu

Viewing 5 reply threads

ALUF
      Ute Fan
      @dbgii77

Didn’t really watch them last night. What happened and how do they look?

2 2

Uteusmc
      Ute Fan
      @uteusmc

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

As bad as Arizona is, I’m surprised byu didn’t win by more. 

ProudUte
        Ute Fan
        @proudute

I don’t think BYU looked great.  However, they played with a very depleted receiving group.  The Nacua brothers should be back.  Romney likely will miss a few games.

Their defense has some weak spots that I am sure we will exploit next Saturday night.  UA figured it out in the second half.

Larry B
        Ute Fan
        @larryb

I couldn’t tell if BYU was intentionally holding back as to not show too much or if they just aren’t very good. I certainly expected them to beat AZ by at least a couple touchdowns.

Anfernee
      Ute Fan
      @anfernee

Allgeier is really good as advertised. Katoa good as well. So I’m guessing we sell out to stop the run. Pau’u is definitely Hall’s go to guy. Getting Samson and Puka back will definitely help him but I’m not overly concerned with Hall or the Nacua bros. Especially with it being his first start vs us and the looks we’ll give him. At least one pick 6 and 2 ints IMO.

The run d was a bit better than I expected but still meh. Cruz for Arizona nearly threw for 400 yards and a td. So if Charlie gets time, he’ll dissect them. They can’t handle our skill position talent.

I’m assuming it’s closer than it feels like it should be as usual but we pull away in 4th.

ironman1315
        Ute Fan
        @ironman1315

He’s not. Arizona just sucks. 

BYUs run d is turrible. They gave up 4 a poo to their running backs and those dude ain’t good. Utah by 22. 

MFury
        Ute Fan
        @mfury

It’s really hard to read anything from that game. AZ D-line was low effort, not trying to get off pass block, Hall had all day. The one time they got hungry they landed a safety.

We basically learned what we already knew:

Hall is accurate with time, and can run – they like to let him get creative out of the pocket
        Allgier is fast, give him a hole he’ll make you pay
        Defense plays deep zone, like to blitz on X and long
        Expect trick plays, Arod is a poor play caller (see safety)
        TSPP D-line did not look great, decent holes – Brumfield should have a great day.
        After them Tackling a 5’10 190 (maybe) RB, TT is going to look and fell like a Mack truck when he gets to the second level.

Charlie
      Ute Fan
      @charlie

It is difficult to judge. Arizona did not look good, they may win a league game at best. However, I did not watch any other loosing Pac teams except Stanford. UCLA is the only Pac team that came out of the gates looking strong but I also expect Utah, USC, ASU and Oregon to pick up steam in the next weeks. Sadly, the Pac looks to still have G5 losses coming.

Warrior Ute
      Ute Fan
      @warriorute

Arizona looked awful, BYU looked slightly better.

Most of BYUs big plays came off of poor assignment integrity and poor tackling.  Arizona D Line would get through the O Line regularly but then the D Line would get wild and allow plays to be made.

If you look at the stats,

Arizona gained 426 yards, 345 through the air.

Arizona missed two make-able field goals, 31 and 44 yards.

One touchdown for BYU was reviewed and allowed to stand. My daughter’s friend who is a huge BYU fan texted, Ummm no, when the decision was announced that it stood. Both announcers were surprised by the call. It would have lead to a third and goal. BYU was only 4/12 on third downs so this may have added 4 points to BYU.

Allgeier ran well, but angles taken, and assignment integrity was poor. If I remember correctly his big runs mostly came from allowing him outside.

Pau’u was their best receiver and made some good grabs. No other receivers stood out. I don’t know who will be in next week, if the Nacua brothers will be back.

I saw nothing that made me think that this years BYU team is an above average team for BYU over the last 10 years. They may actually be below average. It is a first game so it is hard to say if that will continue to be true.

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.