BYU in the Big 12

Viewing 5 reply threads
      12 5

Ted Lasso
      Ute Fan
      @tedlasso

Obviously Utah has been superior to BYU ever since their move to the Pac-12. I’m really hoping that BYU is able to catch up in the talent and depth gap over the next few years in the Big 12.

I think BYU is going to struggle for a while in a new conference, so hopefully they are able to get to the point where they can recruit better and be in a position to win the conference, just like Utah is doing year in and year out.

But watching BYU, Utah, and Utah State find success this year has been so much fun and I wish there was a way that they could all be in the same conference and play each other every year. 

2 9

richute
      Ute Fan
      @richute

I also wish that BYU would’ve come to PAC 12 when Utah did instead of Colorado. Would’ve liked to keep our actual rival instead of them forcing a new one. Imagine the Utes and cougs playing the last week of season for potentially the south title most years

Onlyu
        Ute Fan
        @uf8fl

In the building Utah’s rivals rank 1. ASU 2. USC and 3. BYU. Colorado isn’t close.

Conference wins have so much more bearing on the outcome as evidenced by this years results so while it’s still a fun game in state with historical tradition it means less to Utah than the 9 conference games…including on the recruiting front.

BYU is still a historical rival but our conference foes have become way more relevant in terms of what’s necessary to accomplish our goals. We’re still their biggest game and a measuring stick for their program…not the case anymore for what they mean to us.

The dislike for the SunDevils is real. SC is the bell-weather and has to be dealt with each and every year. There is a healthy respect between programs. They also recruit or have the ability to recruit every kid we offer. BYU does not.

gandalf
      Ute Fan
      @gandalf

I think having BYU in the Big 12 and Utah in the Pac 12 will be healthy for the rivalry moving forward. Perhaps there will be a little less vitriol since they will both have conference slates after the rivalry game. Utah had a few years of growing pains when they entered the Pac and I imagine BYU will as well.

Extra Medium
        Ute Fan
        @runningreddude

BYUs growing pains are going to be worse. The church isn’t going to pay coaches or assistants anywhere near the market rate. Kalani can love BYU all he wants but selling out isn’t a matter or loyalty or integrity. It’s a matter of price. I imagine his love for the school will hit a wall after a few 5/7 years in the Big 12. 

Charlie Foxtrot
      Ute Fan
      @charliefoxtrot

It’s definetly going to take some time to recruit and build the necessary depth across the roseter.  I will be honest and say that it took way longer at Utah than a lot of us thought it was going to, and even when we had a top 5 team with a potential shot at the CFP (Huntly/Moss etc.) it wasn’t enough to even win the conference championship.  Oregon absolutly destroyed us in that game, but I think it took that type of a beat down to really understand what it was going to take to get to the top of that mountain.

I think Kilani will continue to build and improve the culture at BYU and they will eventually get there in the Big 12.  I wouldn’t be suprised if it takes 5 plus years to get there though.  I think realistically BYU is starting at a place entering the Big 12 that is ahead of where Utah was when they got the Pac -12 invite so the build probably won’t take as long, but I guess time will tell.

Central Coast Ute
      Ute Fan
      @flip2848

If the Big 12 is somehow able to hang onto autonomous status without any blue bloods, they’re going to have a much bigger hill to climb than the Utes did. The honor code is going to be a hindrance to any non LDS kids and there just aren’t enough high level LDS kids to go around. Utah and Stanford will definitely compete for the few that are there, especially the in state kids who know they don’t have to go to BYU to make it to heaven.

Onlyu
        Ute Fan
        @uf8fl

BYU didn’t have much choice. They had to jump from Indy but their fans haven’t realized that the conference will likely lose 2 teams to the Big 10 and potentially 2 more to the Pac 12 as the media negotiations start to take place. Would drop them to basically 8 G5ish teams. They don’t want to think about that so don’t bring it up much…puts them back into that gray area in a hurry.

That said, they’ll at least have some consideration when the landscape changes but there are a few more hills for them to climb before they even have a chance to think about recruiting depth. They need to have 2-3 more successful years to stay in the spotlight.

50/50 it works out for them and if they think that the P5’s recruiting against them the next few years won’t be bringing that up they have another thing coming.

They’ve used the Big12 invite to energize their fan base and help cover up the coming risk but they have a significant uphill climb ahead.

Extra Medium
          Ute Fan
          @runningreddude

Do you really think the Big 10 and PAC-12 will raid the Big 12 conference? Which teams do you see jumping ship? PAC-12 won’t touch Baylor, TCU, or BYU. Texas Tech and maybe Oklahoma State? Houston? Work out a trade for Nebraska? 

If Oklahoma and Texas were smart they’d realize the path to the playoff is easier through the Big 12 instead of having to beat Alabama every year. It makes no sense unless they just see media $$$ through the roof on the next deal. 

Onlyu
            Ute Fan
            @uf8fl

Iowa State and Kansas to the Big10…both belong to the AAU as top academic institutions which is critical to the Big 10.

Pac12 could approach them both as well but more likely look at Texas Tech and Ok State to the Pac12 to help with Texas recruiting. Lots of pressure at Ok State to make a move with big brother going to the SEC. Tech would be in the right place at the right time.

These discussions are already on-going…whether they pull the trigger is another story but it’s 100% a possibility.

PhiladelphiaUte
              Ute Fan
              @philadelphiaute

Don’t you think Mizzou would be more attractive the BigTen than Kansas?  If the BigTen offers more money than the SEC, I’d think Mizzou would be interested.  They’re a better fit for the BigTen anyway.

Onlyu
                Ute Fan
                @uf8fl

Yeah Philly but that’s a whole new level of craziness. If we see SEC teams bouncing the “4 conference 48” becomes a real possibility. Who gets in and who gets left out. Does TDS get in over P5 current members? The SEC money will surpass the other conference negotiations fairly quickly when they renew so does Mizzou really walk away for a short term net gain.

Kansas is a top 3-4 basketball program and academics plays a larger role than most think in the Big10 and Pac too. These decisions will be made by school presidents and not AD’s.

TDS comes with some baggage and politically challenging issues. How much will that affect them if/when this all breaks lose.

Who knows what’s gonna happen but there are still a lot of questions to be answered before they can sincerely act like they’re in the club. Gonna be a roller coaster of a ride for them.

Central Coast Ute
            Ute Fan
            @flip2848

According to Wilner, the PAC was and probably going to invite TCU and Houston. Who knows. But to me, Houston makes the most sense. And yes, I don’t think the Big 12 is done being raided yet. The PAC and BIG still have their TV negotiations to go through so they wouldn’t invite them until they’re a little further down that road.

Onlyu
              Ute Fan
              @uf8fl

Yeah Wilner did say that and if it were me the Houston and DFW markets make the most sense especially from a viewership standpoint. TCU also seems to be distancing themselves some from the “religious” connection as well which is probably intentional at some level.

Point is, there are 6 schools in the rebuilt Big 12 that are probably up for discussion. 4-5 of them feel like the rug has been pulled out from underneath them with UT and Ok leaving and are ACTIVELY looking at solutions. Throw in Mizzou (AAU school) and a Cincy or even unhappy Nebraska and you have the makings of one more significant realignment.

Utah’s designation as an AAU member is more significant that most realize and benefits us greatly moving forward if something even crazier took place.

Gonna be a fun and interesting 3-4 years.

PhiladelphiaUte
                Ute Fan
                @philadelphiaute

I went to high school in Texas for my Senior year, and can tell you this:  TCU does NOT hold the DFW market.  DFW, West Texas, and the Panhandle is more UT/Tx Tech.  A&M rules the roost in South and East Texas.  San Antonio is an even UT/A&M split.

I would rather not see any Big 12 teams in our conference, as it’ll force Utah into the [eventual] “Pac-12 East” division, which will take us out of SoCal.  But if we MUST add a pair of Big 12 teams, I’d rather see Tx Tech and either Houston, or Oklahoma St.

Extra Medium
                  Ute Fan
                  @runningreddude

I didn’t even think about Pac-12 East and West. Would the Pac really want to put our all blue chip football programs in the same division to further canibalize our chances at the playoffs? With expanded playoffs and a guaranteed spot for a league champ that might not be a big deal. 

Utesbyfive
                Ute Fan
                @utesbyfive

When we were invited to the AAU, I realized that we had “arrived” as a major US university. I knew instantly it put us in a great position within the athletics world, because it does add prestige to the conference, and lessens any chance for relegation to G5 to pretty much nil.

Onlyu
                  Ute Fan
                  @uf8fl

Yep…it’s a really big deal in the world of academics

Italy88
      Ute Fan
      @itacoatiara22

BYU just needs to build their depth and they’ll be just fine.

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums They So Poo Poo BYU in the Big 12