Can we win on the road?

Viewing 10 reply threads

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

I listened to a PAC12 Podcast that suggested that Utah is not a good road team.  They pointed out that we are 1-3 against the spread on the road.  That is not good.

If you take off your crimson glasses – what do you all think?  Can the Utes beat a very good team on the road?  Obviously, we can but is playing at Autzen going to be a difficult challenge?

11 2

UteBacker
      Ute Fan
      @utebacker

For me, it comes down to Nix.  If he plays healthy, we lose.  If he’s hobbled or doesn’t play, I really like our chances.  He’s the X factor this week.

Winning on the road in this conference is tough.  That win at Wazzou is looking better and better.

1 2

Larry B
        Ute Fan
        @larryb

I agree. I don’t give us much of a chance against a healthy Nix. I just think there are going to be too many things going against us. Hostile crowd, revenge for last year, Oregon being very good, etc…

EagleMountainUte
        Ute Fan
        @battlegroundute

I keep saying it but I think the Center and Right Guard potentially being out is a bigger deal than Nix. Utah can do just fine with Nix. Oregon’s oline is why Nix is so good. 

UteBacker
          Ute Fan
          @utebacker

Very fair point, Eagle.

noneyadb
        Ute Fan
        @noneyadb

This one comes down to Cam Rising and if he’s the 70% passer or the 50%.

ALUF
      Ute Fan
      @dbgii77

When was our last win against a ranked team on the road? 2018 against Stanford? And have we played anyone who fits that category since?

AlaskaSteveUteAlum
      Ute Fan
      @alaskasteveutealum

Not too worried about Oregon. Even with all of the mitigating factors (road game, revenge for last year, recent home loss, possible injuries), the Utes will be focused, and the defense and special teams have improved dramatically. This is a must win game, and this team (the Utes) will win, possibly by a blowout.

5 2

GameForAnyFuss
      Ute Fan
      @gameforanyfuss

Can Utah beat Oregon on the road? Yes.
      Will Utah beat Oregon on the road? Likely no.

I’m afraid this will be the game when all the injuries – including the nagging one Cam’s been playing with – catch up to us.

utefansince79
        Ute Fan
        @utefansince79

Utah started with the loftiest of expectations for a great season with playoff potential, had an early stumble in the Swamp, and a number of injuries, and it is turning into a good season.   Still we have the potential to win in Eugene, but are playing a very good and very angry team who has had this date circled since we last met them in Vegas. 

Yergensen
      Ute Fan
      @yergensen

I’m going to expand defense travels to line play travels. Win in the trenches and we’ll be right there.

At least one of our lines has struggled in recent years against better line talent (Florida, UCLA, Ohio St, Texas, Oregon, SC).

5 3

SalUteopia
      Ute Fan
      @saluteopia

We can win, but don’t think it will happen. As mentioned above, Nix and OL injuries will be the biggest factors. I’m also worried about edge containment. Also, we can’t exploit their secondary, their biggest weakness on D, to the fullest without a credible deep threat.

UteBrook
      Ute Fan
      @utebrook

The game is being played on the Saturday before thanksgiving break and no CFP. I wouldn’t be surprised if that fact and the cold weather doesn’t keep the Duck students away which could make the usually hostile Autzen more like the Wazzu game. The X factor is whether TT’s head is where it was against Stanford instead of USC. Oh and if Cam stiff arms Nephi to the ground again, we win.

PlainsUte
        Ute Fan
        @plainsute

Not sure the calendar is going to quiet the stadium.   Certainly the Duck fanbase is disappointed that the air just got let out of their potential CFP run, but I expect them to be in attendance Saturday.   What could quiet them is a hot Utah start which would bring the “oh, no, not again” feeling to the fans and hopefully the sidelines.   However, the Utes always seem to start out slow.   Not sure if its Ludwig feeling out the defense or jitters on the part of Cam but the first quarter has not been kind to the Utes.  Even against Stanford at home things really didn’t get rolling into 5 minUtes or so into the 3rd Q.   Can’t be starting that slow on the road in Oregon.

D T
      Ute Fan
      @azute1

The key to the game IMO is having TT back to his normal self…..He can really soften up their D & their Pass D is their weakness, so we should be able to run play-action successfully off TT.

Our D’s been respectable of late & should be able to get just enough stops.

This is a very winnable game for us, regardless of their injuries.

Trailgoat
      Ute Fan
      @utahgoat

TT getting back on track is good timing. Rising needs to have a USC level game. Defense has improved over the past few games.

The Miami Ute
      Ute Fan
      @themiamiute

Can we win in Autzen? You betcha…first of all, the Ducks are dealing with the psychological aftereffects of having their CFP hopes burnt to the ground. How have teams reacted to that kind of scenario in recent history? Just looking at anecdotal data, not very well. Second, the Ducks were physically brutalized by the Huskies last Saturday and a few of their key guys are banged up. The most important of these is Nix, who hurt his surgically repaired right ankle at the end of the game. Anybody really think that he’s going to be 90-100 percent with six days rest? Third, the Utes are in the ascendancy getting TT untracked and a few weeks away from the Rising and Kincaid injuries. Last, the Ducks have a tough rivalry game the following Saturday against the Braves and just might be looking a little bit at that game.

Onlyu
        Ute Fan
        @uf8fl

Losing to your hated rival and at the same time getting eliminated from the CFP is a massive gut punch and one that will have a significant emotional effect on both their players and fans. Add in the fact that their QB is banged up and won’t likely be as effective as he normally would be running the ball. Losing your center is usually a bigger problem than almost any other spot on the field (except QB) although we’ve handled it fairly well recently.

On the flip side we are getting healthy and have quite a bit of momentum. It all sets up nicely despite our road woes.

It’s a tall order to win at Autzen but if we get off to a great start in this game we will win going away. If not it’s going to be a really difficult task.

Viewing 10 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Can we win on the road?