CanTDS beat Utah in 2018?

Viewing 9 reply threads
      3 2

UtMtBiker
      Ute Fan
      @utmtbiker

If TDS comes into the game at 5-6 needing a win to make a bowl game and Utah has a date to play Washington the next week in the Pac-12 Championship game, do our 2’s and 3’s have enough to beat TDS starters? 

I think we probably do but with this game being what it is and meaning way more to TDS in this scenario I can see them sqeeking out a win.  It would be a s**tty way to end the steak. 

Utah
      Ute Fan
      @utah

If we won the south and are playing TDS, we won’t have out 2’s and 3’s out there. Whittingham will be looking for a Wyoming style beat down. He will go into that game wanting to win by 50 and crush their spirits. 

UtMtBiker
        Ute Fan
        @utmtbiker

I guess I hadn’t factored in the chance at the playoff.  If we win the south with 2 losses and Washington is highly ranked including a win over Auburn, we would have to play our starters in hopes of consideration for the playoff.  

Johnny80
        Ute Fan
        @johnny80

I would love for that to happen but my cause for concern in that situation is that BYU would increase their dirty playing. We see them pull cheap, dirty plays every time we play them. Would kill me to see one of our guys hurt because of their jealousy/insecurity. F@$k byu. 

ironman1315
      Ute Fan
      @ironman1315

Yeah, it would be a well-done job on BYU if they could break the steak. But rare is the player on their end that could start on ours. But I’d still give them a medium chance of beating us under your scenario.

Chidojuan
      Ute Fan
      @chidojuan

No, they can’t, and yes, our 2’s and 3’s are better than their starters, to say nothing of their 2’s and 3’s. Right now Tanner Mangum is expected to start, and he has not had good experiences playing Utah. If he even lasts the season, which he probably won’t. Bushman is their only offensive weapon right now, and our DB’s will be all over him. Ula is gone, and Canada has been very inconsistent against strong defenses. The only way they win against us is either by signal stealing, which is probably against the honor code, or if all of our 1’s, and I mean all of them, are injured. Last year, there was no reason for the game to be competitive, and this year, shouldn’t even be an afterthought. I’m not overlooking them, but this should not be a close game.

UteThunder
      Ute Fan
      @utethunder

I hate the placement of this game. We are in an almost impossible situation in terms of motivation.

If we win the South division, then we will be looking ahead to the Pac-12 title game. If we lose the South division, especially if we were in the race right to the end, then we likely be dejected and down from failing to meet that goal. Although, maybe in this scenario our team takes out their frustration on BYU which could be awesome . . . 

BYU is almost certain to be playing for bowl eligibility unless their season is a complete disaster, so they will have that extra motivation going for them. If their season is a complete disaster, then they will be able to come into that game totally loose and play like they have nothing to lose. If they are somehow vastly improved from last year, they will most certainly come in to that game confident and hyped looking to end their regular season with an exclamation point. Any one of these scenarios is good for them.

Hopefully we’re good enough and healthy enough to not have to worry about any of this and can just beat them handily regardless of circumstances surrounding the game.

Onlyu
        Ute Fan
        @uf8fl

I can assure you our motivation will be as high as ever in any scenario.  We will beat BYU by 20+ this year…we know it and they know it.  While that game is significantly less important than it used to be, it’s still a 100 year rivalry.  Dominating the State has far reaching advantages so we will continue to do so!

Injuries can play a factor but they are nowhere close to being as deep as we are in every position group so they will be hurting a lot more than we will be at the end of the season.  

They’ve got some talent in their 1’s but you don’t recruit in the 70’s and 80’s, come off an awful year with a new system and win a bunch…I don’t care who is coaching that group.  I also disagree about the placement…you’re either rolling or sputtering down the stretch.  If we’re rolling, won the South, playing for something bigger we’ll destroy them and if you don’t think keeping them out of a bowl game is motivation for our players or staff you’re bat s**t crazy!

If Huntley is healthy that game isn’t close.

ironman1315
          Ute Fan
          @ironman1315

Thus speaks Kyle Whittingham aka Onlyu. Now, can you tell us about Schirmer?

Onlyu
            Ute Fan
            @uf8fl

Working on it!

GameForAnyFuss
      Ute Fan
      @gameforanyfuss

If we’re in a situation where we’re looking ahead to the PAC12 championship game, that means we’re a really damn good team – best Utah team ever IMO – including our backups. Result: BYU-P loses. 

If we’re in a situation where we’re not going to the PAC12 championship game, then we’re probably still an ok team and our starters play. Result: BYU-P loses. 

concerned
      Ute Fan
      @concerned

Since it is the last game, injuries could be a major factor, and we are in a much better position to survive those.

sweetgrass
      Ute Fan
      @sweetgrass

insert LOL gif here

Honestly, talent-wise the two teams are farther apart than they have been since the 50’s. This is a two TD game advantage Utah minimum. While the games have been closer in score than they should have been, does anyone question the gulf-like disparity between the two programs? I’m not trying to sound over-confident but BYU and Utah’s current trajectory are on opposite paths.

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

No.

utefansince79
        Ute Fan
        @utefansince79

Anything can happen on any given day.  On paper we should be much better, but in a rivalry game, anything in possible, and we have a way lately of failing to put them away leaving ourselves vulnerable to a late surprise.

Puget Ute
      Ute Fan
      @pugetute

Possible? Yes.

Probable?  NFW. The ball might take a lucky bounce, etc, but this game will not be closer than 2 TDs.

Viewing 9 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football CanTDS beat Utah in 2018?