Car help

Viewing 7 reply threads

ironman1315
      Ute Fan
      @ironman1315

I ask because I recently got my oil changed and my air filter replaced but right after that my endeavor stopped accelerating like it normally does wjen trying to get up to free way speeds. There’s no weird noises it just doesn’t get up and go wuite like it used to. Wjat could be the problem. 

UM4G
      Ute Fan
      @um4g

Wild guess here – the distributor? I had problems with mine on my first car, a ’96 Mazda Protege. You could push the gas pedal all the way in and it would go no where, had to feather it until it got going. When it really started to fail, feathering it would no longer work, it would just slightly move but would not accelerate anymore than about 5 MPH.

ironman1315
        Ute Fan
        @ironman1315

How costly a fix is that?

UM4G
          Ute Fan
          @um4g

Sorry for the late reply, mine was around $2k, so I sincerely hope it’s not that.

Chidojuan
      Ute Fan
      @chidojuan

Make and model?

ironman1315
        Ute Fan
        @ironman1315

04 Mitsubishi Endeavor. 

NavyUte
          Ute Fan
          @navyute

Time to s**tcan that thing and get a Land Rover or Mercedes…

NavyUte
          Ute Fan
          @navyute

Also, are you a Bartholomew?

vcsg01
      Ute Fan
      @vcsg01

First thing I would do is check where work was done. Make sure the oil is at the proper level and look in the air filter box and make sure that there are no obstructions in there.

GameForAnyFuss
      Ute Fan
      @gameforanyfuss

Sounds like your fuel filter to me. It’s clogged.

ironman1315
      Ute Fan
      @ironman1315

Update:

After fiddling with the air filter my car is back to normal. I’m still taking it on to see about the service engine light though.

pedro
      Ute Fan
      @pedro

First, take it to a different mehanic just to be sure someone isn’t trying to dick you.  Despite reputations, most are honest but there are a few that know a few tricks to keep you coming back.  Nothing they were paid to do should affect your ability to accelerate, but who knows.  If you took it to a Jiffy Lube type place or a dealer, then you are probably fine.  

Second, does it have a lot of miles on it?  Also, had it been a while since it’s last change?  I have seen cases with smaller 4 cylinder cars where a subtle changes (like going from really bad runny oil to new thicker oil) are noticeable.  Add that to the fact that the whether turned colder these past few days and I could see a cognizant driver noticing that.

Good luck.

ironman1315
        Ute Fan
        @ironman1315

I took it to Big O in bountiful.

It had been a little under six months since the last change and just over 5k miles. I figured ”twas about due. Maybe it was just a change in the oil but who knows. I’ll be going back in to see what I can do about the check engine light though.

PlainsUte
      Ute Fan
      @plainsute

Not getting enough air flow or fuel flow.   Since they messed with the air flow, maybe they didn’t get everything buttoned up right.   Air also comes in through the throttle body, this is a common place for gunk to accumulate, requiring careful cleaning, but usually causes problems at idle or very low cruise speed.

Someone else mentioned clogged fuel filter, that is also a possibility, though not sure how it would be triggered by the oil service visit.   Used to be changing fuel filters was a snap, but nowadays with fuel injection systems it can be a real PITA.

Viewing 7 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Misc Car help