Chase Hansen being moved into safety rotation?

Viewing 11 reply threads

Anonymous
      Inactive

I noticed during the Cal game Tevin Carter got rotated out on a drive, Andre Godfrey was subbed in. Carter looked quite winded, I think the coaches were giving him a chance to rest. Carter is a big dude, the hurry-up offenses are probably tough for him. Williams appeared to play the entire game, from what I observed. I’m surprised we haven’t seen much of Jason Thompson in the safety rotation.

I’m now hearing Chase Hansen is switching to #22 and will be practicing with the safeties. This is interesting. I think it’s a good move to get some more depth at that position.

I’m not convinced Hansen’s future is at QB for the U. Next year I’m hoping to see a big name JC QB or transfer.

-the moose’s whistle

The Lone Wolf
      Ute Fan
      @thelonewolf

Hansen was never a Quarterback. Utah did a fantastic job in recruiting him. The idea the whole time was to let him come in and compete at QB then switch him to safety or backer if he couldn’t cut it on O. It was only a matter of time. The kid will make a great strong safety.

What happens next year at QB? Does Whitt go after a JC QB? If Hansen can’t get it done Utah may be in trouble, even if they can find a JC guy.

• This reply was modified 8 years, 6 months ago by The Lone Wolf.

Wilson’s Mustache
        Ute Fan
        @sigmaute

Hansen was never a Quarterback.

That is such bulls**t. He took significant snaps at QB all through spring & fall camp & he even has a limited amount of game time experience.

I find it highly unlikely they will decide his future until next year.

Anonymous
          Inactive

That is such bulls**t

Woah, take it easy. It’s far from bulls**t. I watched spring practices and listened to fall practice reports. Kyle Gunther agrees with me, doesn’t think Hansen has the arm for D1 ball. He’s 6’2″ and can run, I’m excited to see what he’ll do at safety. I think Morgan Scalley sees Hansen as the next Morgan Scalley.

Tony (admin)
            Admin/Founder
            @admin

Well, please check out this post gentlemen:

Dirty Words

The Lone Wolf
            Ute Fan
            @thelonewolf

It’s what Kyle does. He identifies talent early and develops it well. Hansen’s ceiling was highest at safety or linebacker. Kyle and Bronco both knew it when they were recruiting the kid. Both coaches gave Hansen the chance to compete at Quarterback, and Chase chose Utah knowing there was a better chance of him starting at Utah after Wilson graduated than winning a battle vs. Mangum. It looks like it’s possible he tried QB and it didn’t work. Now Whitt will turn him into an NFL safety. No big deal.

Anonymous
      Inactive

We’ll be fine, Dennis Erickson is all over this.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Second hand from Erickson via former player in airport: Hansen is a good runner but has no arm. Boom! Move to defense. It’s the Utah way.

Anonymous
        Inactive

He’s had some shoulder injuries that probably have reduced the velocity and accuracy of his balls. Kyle Whittingham really wants him to start at QB but those who make their living on offense are requesting another option at QB.

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

No arm. We recruit QB’s with no arm. That’s awesome.

hayes6
        Ute Fan
        @hayes6

A few of the no arm quarterbacks we have recruited: Eric Weddle, Paul Krueger, Stevenson Sylvester, Robert Johnson, and many more I don’t recall. You recruit players and move them to where they can perform best.

Torg
      Ute Fan
      @torg

So where was this heard? Information is as good as the source is. If it is a good, reliable source… I’m interested. I did find it a little strange to see Hansen doing kickoffs, but I didnt read too much into it.

Anonymous
        Inactive

It was my brother’s conversation with a former player who’s close to the team. Conversation was in the airport prior to boarding flight to the game. Former player said that Dave Christiansen was toxic and did mess with Travis Wilson. He noted that Whitt was basically a prick to work for and that Erickson has had his issues with him and nearly left, but has since ironed things out.

Anonymous
        Inactive

My source is newmanscott22. His source is Chase Hansen’s cousin.

Homer Crimson
      Ute Fan
      @homercrimson

I have no problem with this move… except that if we don’t get even a middling PAC-caliber QB to replace TW, I’m going to have to go scream and break things.

Torg
      Ute Fan
      @torg

Well, sure enough.. He was at #22 last night versus 15. As much as that Florid qb huntley recruit is impressing me.. I’d rather not have a true freshmen starting next year. We gotta find a decent JC quarterback. With our success this year, I find it highly possible.

Anonymous
        Inactive

I wonder why we haven’t extended an offer to Jerod Evans, top JC QB out of Texas. Other than Auburn, his offer list is not that impressive yet. I wish we’d get someone recruiting him asap, he’s got size, speed, a high and quick release. Looks ready to start.

Wilson’s Mustache
      Ute Fan
      @sigmaute

Coach Whittingham confirmed that Chase Hansen is still a QB

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

He said he come into camp next year as #1.

BioUte
      Ute Fan
      @bioute

Interesting. Newman had said he heard from Chase’s relative that we had secured a commitment from a CA QB. Now on UFN they’re saying we just got a commitment from this QB (originally a UW commit who transferred to a JC)
      http://sports.yahoo.com/lsu/football/recruiting/player-Troy-Williams-101102

Wilson’s Mustache
        Ute Fan
        @sigmaute

Utah still needs to recruit QBs every year. Not sure why that is overly interesting.

Puget Ute
          Ute Fan
          @pugetute

Troy Williams looks to be very talented. And he is Steve Smith’s cousin, so he has that going for him. He could be a solid fit in our system. He is a solid dual-threat QB and he appears to be an accurate passer with a strong arm.

BioUte
          Ute Fan
          @bioute

Utah still needs to recruit QBs every year. Not sure why that is overly interesting.

@sigmaute
          Interesting that newman had the scoop on everyone by a solid week. Last week he told me that chase’s relative (I think he said mom?) had told him that the Utes had a commit from a CA QB. Newman and I talked about how Neves at one time attended a CA HS and wondered if that’s who she was referring to. It turns out it’s this new guy.

I’m all for bringing in QB’s, they’re usually the most athletic kids on their teams.

Wilson’s Mustache
            Ute Fan
            @sigmaute

Newman seems to have had some inside knowledge recently. Good stuff.

Anonymous
              Inactive

newmanscott22 may have provided some good info, but that doesn’t change the fact that he once posted the absolute worst topic on UF.N, a thread criticizing a player who had a below average showing in a game played a couple days after a terrible personally tragedy for the player. newmanscott22 never apologized for that terrible post.

NorthEZUte
      Ute Fan
      @northezute

We’ll have good qb’s competing next year, worry not. I’m glad we’re utilizing players at the positions where they’re most beneficial to the team as a whole. That’s how you win games. I have full confidence in our coaching staff and the recruits they are bringing to the U.

Viewing 11 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Chase Hansen being moved into safety rotation?