Class of 21

Viewing 1 reply thread

Fabian
      Ute Fan
      @scutes

I was just wondering if the class of 2021 is done or we were looking to get a kid or 2 from the states that are playing on the spring

2008 National Champ
      Ute Fan
      @cptmrgn05

The class may not be complete but states playing in the spring has nothing to do with it. NSD is next week so any decisions will need to be made before games happen.

Utesbyfive
        Ute Fan
        @utesbyfive

It’s technically complete. There are no more initial spots left unless we have a decommit. There’s some word that Veltray Jefferson may ask to be released from his NLI.

2008 National Champ
          Ute Fan
          @cptmrgn05

Are we clear on how many, if any, will be immediate missionaries? I’ll admit to never being truly clear on how the numbers work for kids like Ritchie and Fotu who played a year and then will be heading out. I’ve always assumed that they don’t count while gone.

I agree that it doesn’t appear as if there will be any big flips like Utah has pulled off the last couple of years but every school keeps a couple of scholarships in their back pocket. These usually come from early entry into the draft, transfers and medical retirements. The scholarships that are earned by walk-ons have to come from somewhere.

PhiladelphiaUte
            Ute Fan
            @philadelphiaute

Mission years don’t count.  Ritchie was a true freshman last year, but last year didn’t count either.  So Ritchie will have 5 years to play 4 once he returns from his mission.

2008 National Champ
              Ute Fan
              @cptmrgn05

you are referring to eligibility, not scholarship numbers. Ritchie and Fotu absolutely counted against the 2020 scholarship cap of 85.

I agree that they should not count against the cap while on their missions. It is the details that I am not clear on. Do they stop being counted the first quarter/semester that they are not enrolled? Do they start being counted when they re-enroll? Or is it based on the school year, i.e. would they not be eligible to participate in team activities until the beginning of summer term 2023?

Viewing 1 reply thread

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.