Coach Whit interview on ESPN 700

Viewing 1 reply thread

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

Thought the game went as planned. No injuries.
      QB2 not selected yet. Yet to be determined.
      Johnson missed a third of the spring practice.
      Rose has a good command of the offense. He can play without overthinking things. His trajectory from day 1 to the end of camp was excellent.
      Like what he saw from Mikey Matthews. Great quickness and good hands. He will be playing the slot this season.
      Micky Su… looks good at tight end.
      Happy with the progress Glover made this spring.
      Always looking at the portal to improve the team.
      Cam and Kuithe are both ahead of schedule with their rehab. Expects Kuithe to be good to go soon.
      Kuithe will be a hybrid receiver.
      Like what they see from Battle. He is learning a complex defense.
      Medlock is looking very good at LB.
      Depth is good at safety if Ritchie is back healthy by the summer. Hall is looking excellent as a true freshman.
      The highest priority right now is academics and finals.
      Players will be away from campus in May and back in June.
      He is hearing that Kincaid will likely be picked up in the first round.

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

By the way, I heard an interview earlier today with Scott Mitchell.  He likes Rose but does not think he is ready to be the starter yet.  Scott thinks he still needs time to learn and develop.  He thinks the 2023 season will depend on how healthy Cam is.

Roy Rangum
        Ute Fan
        @royrangum

I think that’s a good point. While it’s great that Rose is getting better, it doesn’t feel like we have a very solid QB2 option. And with Cam coming back from a significant injury – that makes me pretty nervous…

3 1

EagleMountainUte
        Ute Fan
        @battlegroundute

Pretty obvious point from Mitchell that we have all said for months now. 

Charlie
        Ute Fan
        @charlie

The odd part of that is we ended the season expecting Rising to go to the NFL. I would have expected the QB room to roll in a starting QB with a bit more ease. Nate’s spring injury impacted that but for now it becomes big that we get Cam back onto the field. Summer workouts and fall camp might change that but more work needs to be done to get ready for the first game.

EagleMountainUte
          Ute Fan
          @battlegroundute

Love Whitt. But the transition at QB has always been rough. It isn’t like the majority of coaches compared to him do all that well either. Also there are not a lot of head coaches with the tenure of Whitt with the similar resources.
          Not sure how to grade the transition but I feel with Ludwig he has a real opportunity to fix this issue. The rough transitions have many factors obviously that I am not ignoring. 

As others have said if Rising isn’t ready and Barnes starts Florida I am not going to be enthused.  

2008 National Champ
            Ute Fan
            @cptmrgn05

On the issue of QB replacements, I give Ludwig a pass for this year. Between he and Taylor (I think TT originally reached out and Ludwig got the transfer commitment but could be wrong), they got their presumed 2020 starter on campus and had a year to get him ready for a multi-year run as QB1. Bentley was brought on to be a stopgap in case Rising wasn’t ready or to be a quality backup. Unfortunately, Rising’s 2020 lasted about 10 plays but with Bentley and Lisk they were able to manage 2020.

Costelli losing his senior year of HS and then transferring left a hole and Jackson moving to RB made it bigger. So short of bringing in another transfer – which they probably would have done if Rising went to the draft – he’s left with 4 young guys. I believe that they will roll with Barnes if they need to before either Rose or Johnson to get through this year but Ludwig absolutely has to have a QB ready to go in 24. Otherwise, he will have had 6 years of recruiting and not managed to bring in a single HS recruit (scholarship) who was good enough to start at the position he coaches.

Viewing 1 reply thread

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Coach Whit interview on ESPN 700