Coaches Luncheon – report

Viewing 3 reply threads

leftyjace
      Ute Fan
      @leftyjace

Women’s Track is ranked and kicking butt. Top 20 amongst 384 schools. Impressive.

Soccer is 3-0 and kicking butt and taking names. They sold out of season ticket scarves at the luncheon (I bought 4 myself).

OK, football.

Whit showed practice video of Tyler Huntley and some crazy plays he made with his feet. I mean… wow.

He also showed off the defensive backs as well as Carrington. Showed a one-handed catch Carrington made in the end zone that was simply sick, and Whit says he makes those on a REGULAR basis.

Says he is most excited about Bradlee Anae. Thinks he’s going to have a special season. Also thinks the freshman DB Jaylen Johnson (did I get that right?) is going to be amazing.

Hit me with questions if you have them.

Uterider
      Ute Fan
      @uterider

Anything on Shyne?

Utah
        Ute Fan
        @utah

Rumors are flying that he’s done for the year. 

Updates? 

Ute Bc
          Ute Fan
          @utebc

Where are those rumors flying just out of curiosity?  I’ve been hearing back by conference play.

Puget Ute
            Ute Fan
            @pugetute

Based on the injury, he should be able to begin rehab in 4-6 weeks or so.

I can’t imagine we will see him this year, and that is a real kick in the giblets. He is one of the players I was most excited to watch this year.

Utah
              Ute Fan
              @utah

As bad as Troy was vs Cal, Shyne was equally amazing. 

leftyjace
      Ute Fan
      @leftyjace

Sorry, didn’t see these replies until now.

Yes, Shyne is out until the very end of the year at the earliest.

It was a compound fracture of the arm. Bone was poking through. He had surgery the next day and has been actively present with the team, but Whit is not counting on him this year, and that’s why McCormick was moved over to Running Back, so as to give some depth with Shyne likely being down for the rest of the season.

Another update was that Chase is at about 80%. They’re going to see how he is the day of the game. If he’s not 100%, they’re going to hold him out and play the next game. (Whit cracked a joke here – he said “then he’ll play the next game – I don’t remember who that is against though”).

ladyinred
        Ute Fan
        @ladyinred

Oh no, feel so bad for Shyne. Tough break for him (no pun intended). I was really looking forward to seeing him back. 😭

kazute
      Ute Fan
      @kazute

Most of what was shared in the luncheon is available through the other media outlets, but here were the few nuggets that I picked up, mostly around injuries.

Whitt is the most excited he has ever been to see what his kids can do. I have heard him say similar things, but he seemed to put emphasis on “most” and “ever.” That doesn’t mean this will be the best team, just that he has a bunch of new talent and really wants to see what they can do. I am guessing not sure where they are, but could be really good.

I knew that Harry and Siale were not practicing. Whitt said that they hope to have one (didn’t say which) back by ND, and possibly both back by the second game.

He said that Shyne may be back towards the end of the year, but that they would likely seek a medical redshirt to give him two more full years.

The comment about Bradlee Anae, was in answer to a question about underclassmen on the D-Line that Whitt saw as standouts.

Someone asked Whitt a question about the comments of Troy Williams’ high school coach. Whitt was sincerely confused by the question. Didn’t know Troy’s high school coach had said anything to the media. Whitt asked for clarification (that the Utah staff knew early on that Huntley was going to start and may have strung Troy along to keep him from having an opportunity to transfer). After Whitt was told, he just shrugged his shoulders and said we gave both QB’s every opportunity to win the job and seemed honestly confused on why Troy’s high school couch would think they should have done anything differently. Like, why would you not give Troy every opportunity. From Whitt’s honest surprise, I don’t believe there were the calculations by the Utah coaching staff that have been speculated by the media. Just something for the media to fill the hours of air time that they have to fill.

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Coaches Luncheon – report