Comparing the 2019 Team to the Sugar Bowl Team

Viewing 4 reply threads

Ute Bc
      Ute Fan
      @utebc

Got to thinking how would this team compare to the Sugar Bowl team:

QB :

I think Huntley is more talented than Johnson.

RB:

Edge to Zach Moss.  Big statement since NFL player Asiatia was on that team.

OL:

Going with the Sugar Bowl Team

WR:

Going with that Sugar Bowl team.

DL:

Going with the 2019 team

LB:

I mean Sylvester… Sugar Bowl

DB’s:

Going with a toss up.  That Sugar Bowl DB crew was unreal.

ST:

Going with Sugar Bowl

AlohaUte
      Ute Fan
      @alohaute

I don’t think there is much of a question that on paper, this is Utah’s best and most talented team ever. The diffference simply is Pac-12 competition vs MWC competition.

Ute Bc
        Ute Fan
        @utebc

Really?  The NFL may disagree.  I think the increase you get in talent in the PAC 12 vs Mtn West is depth.

The Sugar Bowl team as you know beat Alabama.  That was also a loaded team.

UtMtBiker
        Ute Fan
        @utmtbiker

I think there is some question.  

Trailgoat
      Ute Fan
      @utahgoat

Minus the record and complete choke job losses (won’t reference games to minimize flashback pain). In terms of raw NFL talent, 2016 roster is a better comparison.

UtMtBiker
        Ute Fan
        @utmtbiker

That 16′ O-line was rediculous once they got it rolling.  Our LB’s that year were a train wreck really cost us on defense.  

UtMtBiker
      Ute Fan
      @utmtbiker

Good idea!  Here’s my breakdown.  

QB: I take Johnson over Huntley.  Huntley has more physical skills but the accuracy and decision making by Johnson were what sets him apart. Huntley was still making too many bone head throws last year. (remember the int. he gifted to Schooler?).  We can win with Huntley, but to this point, Johnson was better.  

RB: I take the 2019 crew.  Moss is pretty damn good and I think DHC will be a lot like Casteel was in change up. I expect to him to have an impact.  Asiata played a long time in the NFL but it really wasn’t because of his rushing ability.  He’s a smart player that can pick up a pass rush while AP took a breather on 3rd down.  

OL: I give an edge to the Sugar Bowl team with 3 guys getting some run in the NFL including Beatles who was a probowler and 9 year vet.  Our team this year might turn out to be as good. The talent is there, just have to show it.

WR: 2019 is deeper and more talented. David Reed was the best WR on the Sugar Bowl team but he was still a year away.  2019 is 8 guys deep and all are capable of a big year with a QB with Johnsons accuracy.  

DL: This one is a tough call.  I’ll take the Sugar Bowl team. Koa Misi (7 years NFL), Paul Kruger (8 years NFL), Derick Shelby (7 years NFL), Seavler Selinga (6 years NFL and a superbowl start for the Patriots). Cox and Newman weren’t exactly slouches either. This was the Defensive front that launched Utah’s next 10 years of devensive line excellence.  

LB: Sugar Bowl team. Sylvester was an animal and Walker and Write were good players.  

DB: Sugar Bowl team and it’s not even close. That’s pretty crazy since Johnson could be an all-american this year. Sean Smith (9 years NFL), Bryce McCain (9 years NFL), Robert Johnson (2 years NFL), Joe Dale (Ute’s legend), Brandon Burton didn’t play much but was another pro a couple years away.  

TE: I’m going to throw TE into the mix and give it to the 2019 team.  I have high hopes for Fotheringham and Kuithe.  

Special Teams: Got to go with King Louis and the 2009 team since we don’t know what we have at kicker yet this year.  Think he was 23 or 24 or something that year.  

Here’s to the 2019 team become legends and making us all forget about the Sugar Bowl!

ProudUte
        Ute Fan
        @proudute

I understand and agree with many of your picks.  What I liked about Johnson was that he was so cool under pressure.  He didn’t let his emotions get out of hand either way.  If Huntley can learn that composure that Johnson had, he could be a great player.

I think the WRs may have been better in 2008, but I hope this season changes my opinion.

Central Coast Ute
      Ute Fan
      @flip2848

I agree over all with you. It could be argued that from top to bottom though 2019 is better. The 1’s on the SB team might have been better in certain areas, I believe the team as a while is better now.

Utesby1
        Ute Fan
        @garykennedy

Depth on the 2019 team has better across the board depth than on the 2008 team. 2008 was very fortunate to have few injuriew and even when they did the injuries came in area where we had some depth.

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Comparing the 2019 Team to the Sugar Bowl Team