Cornerback

Viewing 4 reply threads

jobjohnsen8
      Ute Fan
      @jobjohnsen8

Who is going to play on the other side as CPIII. Is anyone going to be back like Vaughn or Marks?

Larry B
      Ute Fan
      @larryb

The other day I thought OnlyU said that Micah Bernard has been playing corner in practice. I’m not sure how I feel about that. I can’t imagine going from RB to CB is a smooth transition.

chinngiskhaan
        Ute Fan
        @chinngiskhaan

He isn’t the only one though. He’s just insurance I believe.

ProudUte
        Ute Fan
        @proudute

I believe this is only if he is needed because of an injury.  He will NOT start at CB.

Uphoric
      Ute Fan
      @uphoric

Here you go. . .

Caine Savage, has taken snaps at corner at the collegiate level — three snaps in the final minutes of the Pac-12 championship game. Redshirt freshman LaCarea Pleasant-Johnson and freshman Kenzel Lawler have special teams reps, and redshirt freshman Drew Rawls and freshmen Elisha Lloyd haven’t taken any snaps this season.  Bernard is only an emergency if that.

2008 National Champ
        Ute Fan
        @cptmrgn05

If you look at Lawler’s highlight tapes, one of them is him matched up against Gary Bryant Jr. and he handled it well. He mostly played QB in high school so he was a raw prospect but it’s not like he doesn’t have some ability.

I can’t imagine Scalley playing much man against OSU so as long as whoever is in the game knows their assignments, it shouldn’t be a complete dropoff from Vaughn/Marks.

utetastic
      Ute Fan
      @utetastic

Here is a quote from coach Shah. 

The quote comes from a public article on utezone.

It implies that Mataele will be playing outside and one of the safties will play nickel. My guess would be davis will play nickel and Latu will play free safety or vice versa. I guess Mckinney could also play nickel.

“In terms of changing positions, I only have the folks in my room that have been in my room,” Shah said. “We haven’t asked anybody at this point to change a position. We’ve asked folks to do more, but we haven’t asked anybody yet to change a position. We’ve been pushing and asking our kids that are here to know a little bit more. My nickel has to play outside corner; my safety has to be able to play nickel. That’s been the biggest thing right now.”

The quote comes from this article:

https://247sports.com/college/utah/Article/Utahs-Cornerbacks-Prepping-to-Face-Biggest-Challenge-at-Rose-Bowl-178935671/

Rick
        Ute Fan
        @utebiquitous

Shah’s quote can mean a lot of things. I’ve been told Bernard will take snaps at corner or nickel. I wasn’t told he’s starting, just that he’s practiced well and will get some snaps.

Charlie
        Ute Fan
        @charlie

This seems most likely. I was thinking the nickel had evolved mote into a corner at Utah because they play so much man coverage. That would mean a safety would step into nickel which makes so much more sense than moving someone to CB. The safeties can play man but do not do so as much as the corners. We may see more zone than we are accustomed to. The problem becomes awkward if a corner needs to dome out of the game. Still, when you lose 3 players that have started at corner, any team is thin.

concerned
      Ute Fan
      @concerned

Savage has been getting the first team reps

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.