Could San Diego State be an expansion candidate?

Viewing 5 reply threads

Anonymous
      Inactive

Their football program has progressed quite a bit under Rocky Long. Their basketball program has been legit under Steve Fisher. Men’s Soccer is already in the PAC-12.
      I’m not sure where they stand academically, and their school’s endowment is quite low. But if they continue to grow as they have over the past decade+, they could be a nice fit in our conference.

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

Pac-13? Pac-14? certainly the region is a great fit. Great campus etc too.

Anonymous
        Inactive

Yeah, I’m just wondering what Plan B is if we can’t raid the Big 12.

UteThunder
      Ute Fan
      @utethunder

The thing that really hurts SDSU is that the Pac-12 already owns the California TV market. The thing that really helps SDSU is that adding them gives all of the non-California teams another opportunity for a California game which is something every school wants. 

I think the only way SDSU is ever seriously considered is if 16 team super-conferences becomes a requirement for P5/P4 status and Texas & Oklahoma are off the table.

Red Don
      Ute Fan
      @reddon

Just as long as no independent church schools are ever considered.

Puget Ute
      Ute Fan
      @pugetute

UCLA and Cal will never allow a Cal State team to join. If there was another University of California school (Irvine, Davis, UCSD, etc) with an upcoming program they might entertain the thought.

That said, SDSU is ‘leading’ the PAC-12 South standings right now with a 2-0 record against the conference.

SkinyUte
      Ute Fan
      @skinyute

While I’d personally be for it (I’ve always liked SDSU), I’m not really sure what – if anything – they would bring to the table in terms of additional revenue or market share. Doesn’t seem like it would be much, to be honest.

My other guess is that the P12 is already as competitive as conference leadership would like it to be. Having a conference that “eats itself” every year only keeps teams out of the playoffs and eliminates huge potential revenue.

Puget Ute
        Ute Fan
        @pugetute

Another thing, I can’t think of a way to split the games do all the CA teams play each other annually. We already rotate two teams every other year.

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Pac-12 Could San Diego State be an expansion candidate?