👀👀👀

AZUTE
      Ute Fan
      @azute

99% done but Alex was 98% done so things can still fall apart

Matthew Thomas Castleton
        Ute Fan
        @mcastleton928

It was never reported that Jensen was done. It was always that Utah was just interested. This is different. Almost everybody on Twitter is saying it. Remember, Smith’s team is the only one of the candidates Utah has been interviewing that is no longer playing.

AZUTE
          Ute Fan
          @azute

I never said Alex was done? I said he was 98% done meaning he was very very close to being Utah’s next Bball Coach. Harlan some Boosters and some former players had Alex almost convinced to take the job. So much so contract details were being ironed out.

In the end Alex’s heart is in the NBA but give Harlan credit he went after the big fish and almost pulled off a miracle hire.

Jonnie Bryant(my choice)felt a little disrespected he wasn’t Harlan’s #2 choice and removed his name from consideration.

In the end Harlan always wanted a Coach with college basketball experience.

Smith is a good hire not sexy but safe.

Questions remain though.

He’s had the same Asst Coaches with him for 7 years. Will he bring them with or build a completely new staff?

Nothing in his history shows he’s a dynamic recruiter.

Does he view Utah only as a pay raise and a stepping stone to a Big 10 job? Only time will tell

If he wins and leaves then he will have left Utah in a better place then he found it.

Jensen and Bryant were high risk high reward options but Harlan went safe and secure.

Smith will be some stability to the program.

But can he recruit.

Ute2
        Ute Fan
        @ute2

FWIW the smoke at the Aggie message board is THICK!  About as thick as it can get.

ive said below that my in-laws are Aggies and followed usu very closely for a bit now, especially since they let me go to games…  This would be a GREAT get imho.  

Ute Dub
      Ute Fan
      @chestercopperpot

He’s by far the best choice. Time will show this to be true if hired.

AlaskanUte
      Ute Fan
      @kenaiute

Take this for what it’s worth, on Twitter it’s being reported that Craig Smith has agreed to be Utah’s new head BB coach

AlaskanUte
        Ute Fan
        @kenaiute

UPDATE: Salt Lake Tribune is also reporting Craig Smith as new BB coach  

2 5

BJA 13
      Ute Fan
      @bja13

Obviously we don’t know what happened behind the scenes or who Harlan reached out to beyond Bryant and Jensen ..but on the surface, this seems a bit of a Lazy coaching search IMO.   

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.