Dart

Viewing 5 reply threads

highlandute7
      Ute Fan
      @highlandute7

Stone
      Ute Fan
      @stone

USC signed two 4-star QBs this class (Dart being one of them). It may be that it is just USC being USC. But apparently Dart is okay with the idea of competing with another signee.

Utesbyfive
        Ute Fan
        @utesbyfive

It’s USC. They can sign who they want generally.

Central Coast Ute
        Ute Fan
        @flip2848

USC Has 4 star upperclassman QB backing up a 3 star lower glassman QB. USC is a different animal.

Yergensen
      Ute Fan
      @yergensen

I like Costelli and trust the coaching staff, but would it really be a deal breaker for Costelli or others like him if we were to offer another qb who is a legacy kid?  Rumors (reports?) were Tuttle conditioned his commitment on our not recruiting another qb, but transferred (quickly) anyway.  Thoughts?

Utesbyfive
        Ute Fan
        @utesbyfive

Who knows? It’s a moot point with Dart now.

3 1

Stone
          Ute Fan
          @stone

Yes, moot point, and maybe Dart would have gone to USC even if Utah had recruited him aggressively. But I am still curious to know whether Costelli made it known that he would only sign if he was the sole QB in the class. I would not be upset if he did, just interested to know. 

Yergensen
          Ute Fan
          @yergensen

Moot point with Dart yes, however it’s the approach taken with Tuttle and Costelli (1 qb per class) that I’m interested in. It may be indicative of a strategy that we’re taking. Pure speculation and would be interesting to know how our recruiters assessed Zach Wilson and Dart, but happy that we’re getting the QB talent that we are…big step up for us to be getting 4* qbs on a consistent basis, love it.

Central Coast Ute
        Ute Fan
        @flip2848

We don’t know what the conversations between Costelli and the coaching staff were.

Charlie
          Ute Fan
          @charlie

A better assumption is Utah has too many needs to bring two freshmen QBs.  USC, with many fewer needs can.  I would rather see efforts with WR, CB, and OL than efforts for a second freshman QB.  LB was a greater need and that appears to be addressed.  I don’t assume Whitt wants as many freshman QBs as possible and could not make it work.

Utesbyfive
            Ute Fan
            @utesbyfive

I’m underwhelmed by our OL, and WR recruiting too. Only 2 O line in this class, and 1 WR. With what I see already on the sidelines, it has me kind of concerned. I guess the coaches know what they’re doing.

chinngiskhaan
              Ute Fan
              @chinngiskhaan

Holladay seems to do a good job coaching guys up, but I’ve not been impressed with his recruiting.

I also wonder why we still feel the need to recruit projects on the offensive line.

Utah should largely move on from the diamonds in the rough recruiting philosophy IMO.

noneyadb
              Ute Fan
              @noneyadb

One of those OL signees has only played one year of football.

chinngiskhaan
                Ute Fan
                @chinngiskhaan

Which is exactly what I’m talking about. Upside is nice, but that guy is probably only going to make an impact as a senior, and that’s par for the course with Harding recruiting.

Central Coast Ute
                  Ute Fan
                  @flip2848

You guys seem to think that if Utah offers a kid, he’s here and that the Utes are only going after “projects”. I can guarantee the Utes talk to top prospects and if they get a good response, they’ll actively recruit them. If not, they need not waste their time and focus their attention elsewhere.

noneyadb
                    Ute Fan
                    @noneyadb

Before Colton Swan came on as the LB Coach Utah had ZERO recruited HS LB’s playing LB. Look at the LB class now…

Central Coast Ute
                      Ute Fan
                      @flip2848

Yes, Swan is a bad ass, but let’s break it down a little. How long has Swan been here? Two years. When did the Utes start recruiting Calvert? A long time ago. Yes Swan is a better recruiter than Ena but trying to say that Cody Barton was a transfer is kinda weird imo.

Utesbyfive
      Ute Fan
      @utesbyfive

Another bit of speculation, Jay Toia has signed with USC.

2 4

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

I know it is not popular on this board, but I think we should have gone all-out for Jaxon Dart.  I agree that the point is moot now.  But, I watched Jaxon many times and felt that he is a potential NFL player.  He already has the body and size.  He can pass and is a good runner as well.

It now is what it is. I hope Rising and Costeli can deliver.  We can’t look back now and as others have posted, who knows if Jaxon would have ever come to Utah.  Go Utes!!!

//r00t4Utes
        Ute Fan
        @r00t4utes

I have had it in the back of my mind and holding out hope that he could transfer back home after next season. I mean USC hold onto a lot of qbs but they did just have their previous starting 4star recruit xfer

I get it not likely but I can hope

MDUte
          Ute Fan
          @mdute

I realize there are a lot of Dart fans on here but I think he picked the best fit for his talents. He’s the type of QB that fits the air raid scheme perfectly. And seeing that he didn’t even have us in his Final Four (USC, UCLA, ASU, and TDS) shows me that he realizes Utah wasn’t a great fit for him either based on the scheme we run. And based on @OnlyU’s comments from weeks ago, it’s not like our coaches haven’t been talking with Dart. He knew he could come to Utah if he wanted to and we would make a spot for him. But it sounds like Costelli is a much better fit for us and I trust our coaching staff.

highlandute7
            Ute Fan
            @highlandute7

I thought he didn’t have us in any of his lists given that he was never offered a scholarship from Utah.

2008 National Champ
            Ute Fan
            @cptmrgn05

considering that Utah never offered Dart, i have a hard time believing they were in his final four. Sticking with Costelli was the right thing to do.

I’m glad for Dart that he had a huge senior season and his rating went up a full tenth. However, comparing their tape, I’m Costelli all the way. Also, with him enrolling in January and a good possibility of a transfer QB, there’s a very good possibility that we’ve seen the end of Rising. Having two freshman QB’s on top of that just guarantees that at least one of them leaves at the end of next season.

Utes 69
      Ute Fan
      @slc123

Just to end the speculation, Dart signs with USC.

https://usc.rivals.com/news/four-star-qb-jaxson-dart-picks-usc-as-trojans-get-their-guy

My response…better USC than TDS!

Stone
        Ute Fan
        @stone

It’s a tough call, but I might actually prefer to see a top in-state recruit go to BYU than USC. The reasons being (1) I think we beat BYU regardless; and (2) we have to compete against USC for division/conference championships. Even if we were to lose to BYU, that has less impact than a loss to USC. 

By way of comparison, I am fine with Wilson doing great at BYU. I don’t really care one way or another. But if he were at USC and crushing the south division (including Utah), I would be really upset. 

EagleMountainUte
          Ute Fan
          @battlegroundute

Glad he didn’t choose zoobville personally. The endless foaming at the mouth for Wilson is real old. Wilson went full zoob and is not that great of a player.

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.