Daughter just got accepted to the U

Viewing 6 reply threads

UTE98
      Ute Fan
      @ute98

Problem is we’re out of state.

She did receive a tuition scholarship but still pretty steep.

Any ideas on out of state kids, going to a community college before a mission, then transferring to the U and whether or not they still got some sort of scholarships.

pdogphil
      Ute Fan
      @pdogphil

They could move to Utah for a year then go to school. It is very hard to establish residency while in school. Definitely worth the wait. In state is cheap. 

EagleMountainUte
        Ute Fan
        @battlegroundute

I think you are correct on this. We had a cousin that was going to stay with us for a year and work in Utah. Then she wanted to transfer to the U from SLCC. 

Matthew Thomas Castleton
        Ute Fan
        @mcastleton928

I second this. I went to the U and it was far cheaper than anywhere else i could have gone because it was in state. Also, tuition when i went there was determined by how many credit hours you took per semester. It was on average about 2000 for me. Good luck.

FtheY
        Ute Fan
        @fthey

That’s what I did, I was from CA. My freshman year was expensive until I became a resident but the following three years were reasonable. In aggregate, much cheaper than an CA education when you consider the cost of living. 

A few tips:

Make sure you fully understand all requirements, I almost missed residency at the end of year one when I was in school

I believe summer school rates are in state

You could always do a hybrid the first year too, taking some classes and making up the difference during summer

Community college is always an option too, just be sure classes will transfer or it’s not super helpful 

Utah
      Ute Fan
      @utah

Could they do UVU/WSU/SUU/Dixie for a year for residency? 

Utah
        Ute Fan
        @utah

I’d love to hear what you guys do. We’ve basically decided that we won’t move back to Utah the past few days so that makes my kids going there harder. 

PlainsUte
      Ute Fan
      @plainsute

What will she be majoring in?  Beware some community college math and intro science courses may not be rigorous enough to prepare her for advanced STEM classes.

If she lives in Utah 1 year and leaves for two not sure how the state will handle that wrt residency.  Maybe she should spend those 2 years working in Utah rather than on a mission?

prestitute
        Ute Fan
        @prestitute

Honestly, I had a lot of friends who wen the CC route for the earlier classes and they were fine. And that was for kids going into electrical engineering. Chemistry, I would do at the U, because the program and faculty are great, but biology/physics or math through about calc 3 would be fine at the CC.

prestitute
      Ute Fan
      @prestitute

Meet with the Dean or someone from the office. They can usually get you great info. Which state are you? Some like Idaho/Oregon/Nevada have some reciprocal tuition agreements (but you have probably checked that). SLCC to the U is a good option if they will hold the scholie. 

Puget Ute
        Ute Fan
        @pugetute

When I looked into the ‘Regional Transfer Portal’ (whatever it is called), the student basically pays 150% of in-state tuition and is not eligible for state residency (i.e. never gets to pay in-state tuition). It may be cheaper to pay out-of-state for a year.  

This may have changed, however.  I know the residency requirement for out-of-state students on the Legacy program (parents/grandparents graduated from teh school)  was changed, so now the students can be state residents after 1 year.

Puget Ute
      Ute Fan
      @pugetute

My oldest is going to Utah State next year, though it would be cheaper for him to live with my parents and go to the U.  I am looking for any useful info for him as well. Somebody mentioned opening a bank account for him now at a Utah branch of a bank and giving him a ‘fake’ Utah address for the year.  But I think that is negated based on where he currently works, so who knows if that would help at all.

USU will be around $40k total for the first year, plus an additional $10K for his major program.  It will be brutal.  But after he is a state resident that will drop off considerably.

The problem is, once he is a Utah resident, doesn’t that affect whether I will be able to claim him on my taxes? (granted, in-state resident tuition is a huge savings and far exceeds my own federal tax implications for him).  If the ACA stay in force he should be able to remain on my insurance until he is 26.

UTE98
      Ute Fan
      @ute98

I did some more research.

A few biggies I remember:

1. Must have a Utah DL for at least a year.

2. Must register to vote in Utah, or file a form stating they don’t wish to register. Might have to be for a year as well.

3. Need to have proof of a job in Utah, meaning W-2s. And yes for the year period.

4. Cannot leave the state for more than 29 days total during the entire year while establishing residency.

5. Cannot be claimed as a dependent on your taxes for that year while establishing residency. (Not a big deal since the tuition difference alone will compensate for the loss of tax deduction).

6. You have to establish residency (the entire year) about three or four months before the semester you are applying for in state tuition, i.e. Feb 1 is the deadline for Summer and I believe May 1 is the deadline for fall. So really you’ve got to plan ahead.

We’re thinking of sending her off the end of May this year, have her attend UVU for a year, then stay in Utah until the end of June/July next year. That way she’ll pay out of state tuition at UVU which is about the same as in state tuition at the U. Then she can transfer to the U. I’m encouraging her to do an associates at UVU then transfer. She said she’d have to find someone at the U in the Muss to buy her tickets for the football season.

Now with all that said, who knows how that goes down if she goes on a mission. I don’t think that would put her at square one if she has already established Utah residency. But I’ll have to check.

UTE98
        Ute Fan
        @ute98

Oh, and she wants to be a labor and delivery nurse. So she’s dead set on U of U and well I don’t blame her.

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Misc Daughter just got accepted to the U