Dennis Erickson’s impact

Viewing 0 reply threads

Trailgoat
      Ute Fan
      @utahgoat

Dennis Erickson’s had a significant impact on offensive player recruitment, development and behind the scenes offense coordination at Utah. If I have the years correct or close to it, last years seniors was essentially DEs last class of offensive recruits to leave Utah, including Shelley and Dixon, who were big losses for Utah as we all know. DE was hired by KW to basically save his own job after going 2-7 in the P12 in 2013, 3-6 in 2012.

DE coached at Utah 2013-2016 opening the door to Florida recruitment Utah has never seen. Utah achieved winning records in the P12 conference three years in a row when DE was at Utah. In 2017, the season after DE retired, Utah went 3-6 in the P12. 2018-2019 seasons were winning seasons largely impacted by DEs recruiting Moss, Huntley, Dixon, Simpkins, Shelley, and I’m sure others. 

Since DE left in 2016 and his recuitment of Huntley, Utah has not signed and retained a rated QB out of H.S (that’s essentially 5 years without a signed scholarship D1 level QB out of H.S.). Not counting Tuttle as he was signed and left mid-semester after one season IIRC. Lisk was a walk-on and not counting the guys that played QB in H.S. given scholarships to play other positions.

Understand other factors are in play, point is, Dennis Erickson had a significant impact on the Utah football program that I don’t think he gets enough credit for including possibly saving KWs job at Utah. Erickson’s coaching history and record is beyond impressive. Two college football national championships and six college football conference championships among many other awards and accomplishments. It was awesome he coached at Utah for the few years he was here.

Viewing 0 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Dennis Erickson’s impact