Did I just wake up to Utah bears down UofPay???

Viewing 2 reply threads

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

Must be a sign of good things to come…two numbers fours about to fall to Utah.

dystopiamembrane
      Ute Fan
      @dystopiamembrane

Yessir.

dystopiamembrane
        Ute Fan
        @dystopiamembrane

Utah stuns No. 4 Arizona on 10th anniversary of Utes coaching legend Rick Majerus’ death

Unranked Utah‘s biggest victory of the year, an 81-66 upset of No. 4 Arizona in the teams’ Pac-12 opener Thursday night, came exactly 10 years after the death of Rick Majerus, the legendary coach who led the Utes to the 1998 national title game.

espn.com article

GameForAnyFuss
      Ute Fan
      @gameforanyfuss

Yeah you heard that right. And the funny thing is, it was pretty much a wire to wire thing. AZ made it interesting a few times in the 2nd half, but it was pretty comfortable most of the night.

This was our first win over a top-5 team in 20 years.

I hope this really propels the guys to play consistently at the next level. If you can beat AZ at home, you can beat pretty much anybody on any given night.

chinngiskhaan
        Ute Fan
        @chinngiskhaan

That is how basketball is. That is what makes it such a great sport. I’ve seen physically and mentally disabled kids with zero coordination than get hot and drain several threes in a row. confidence is such a big deal in basketball. A guy like coach Smith can really inspire confidence in his players.

These guys are all way better than your average high school player. I was your average high school player. In practice (shootaround/drills) I could go around the three point line hitting threes from 6-8 different spots, not missing until I’d gone back and forth “around the world” 3 times or more. Never dared take a three in game. I had horrible self esteem and very little confidence on the court largely because I knew my coaches did not like me. Coaching makes a huge difference in a player’s performance in basketball. If a coach can inspire confidence in his guys, crazy things can happen. If you lose confidence, even if you are a D1 level player, you just aren’t going to shoot well. These guys are all better than me at shooting (most of them anyway) in practice, but they have to have to believe it’s going in when they shoot it in a real game.

Free throws is another story. There is NO EXCUSE for being a sub 70% free throw shooter at the college level. Absolutely blows my mind how some guys just can’t figure it out. It has to be lack of repitition, it just has to be… either that or a severe lack of confidence. Make a thousand free throws a day for one summer, and I don’t care what form you have, as long as it’s consistent, you will be making nearly all of your free throws by the end of the summer. When I was in high school I could make 70/100 blindfolded, with one hand, and I only shot one or two hundred a day 4-5 days a week. These guys are dedicating their lives to basketball, to not know how to shoot properly is just unconscionable to me.

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Basketball (Men) Did I just wake up to Utah bears down UofPay???