Did Whitt make the right call

Viewing 6 reply threads

UtahManPodcast
      Ute Fan
      @utahmanpodcast

The two conversion was no good, but was it the right call? Cameron, Ryan, and Scott break down the USC game and give you a preview of what to look for as the Utes take on Arizona State this weekend.

Episode 91

ladyinred
      Ute Fan
      @ladyinred

I heard Whit put it another way that really drove home why it was the right decision. He said OT is basically a red zone competition, and how has Utah been on the red zone… yeah, going for 2 was the best decision.

gUrthBrooks
        Ute Fan
        @hammer

Good point…my only thought is…if Utah can get a stop or a T.O. in O.T……a field goal wins the overtime. 

UM4G
          Ute Fan
          @um4g

The flip side to that though is that the defense was really struggling to stop USC all 2nd half, and Gay had missed a relatively short field goal earlier.

Utah
      Ute Fan
      @utah

It’s a no brainer, especially seeing how open Carrington was. The two point conversion was 100% the right call and play was 100% the right call. The execution? Terrible. 

RiseasUtes
        Ute Fan
        @riseasutes

Agreed.  Good call, QB has to look up when scrambling.

oc_ute
      Ute Fan
      @ocute

hands down the right call. our offense was enemic in the 2nd half and our defense was gassed. usc had a couple of long long drives in the 2nd half. couple that with our red zone success and it’s a no brainer. the old cliche as well…. go for the win on the road, tie at home.

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

In OT you have at least FOUR chances to tie it up or win. By going for two in regulation, we gave ourselves ONE chance. If you are bad in the red zone, four opportunities is better than one.

HoosierUte
        Ute Fan
        @hoosierute

And you let your strength (Defense/ST) have a chance to get a stop and win the game for you. 

UM4G
          Ute Fan
          @um4g

Problem was that the defense struggled all during the second half to get a stop on both the pass and the run, USC was getting chunks of yards almost at will. Also Gay did miss a relatively short field goal earlier, so that wasn’t really a strength either IMO.

Utah
        Ute Fan
        @utah

Would you rather have chances from 25 yards out or one from two?

give me the one every time. 

GameForAnyFuss
        Ute Fan
        @gameforanyfuss

Huh?

In a 2 point conversion, you have one chance to gain 3 yards (=3 yards per play).
        In overtime, you have three chances to gain 10 yards (=3.33 yards per play).

And in overtime, assuming you were successful on your first three chances, you have to execute the same scenario at least one more time to actually get to the endzone!

Going for 2 was 100% the right decision.

ironman1315
      Ute Fan
      @ironman1315

It was the right call. Home team wins OT 60% of the time. You win the coin toss you win 60%. Assuming those two things perfectly balance each other Utah at best had a 50-50 chance. At worst like a 25% chance.

Good call by Whitt.

RUUTES
      Ute Fan
      @ruutes

Yes

It was the right call. Even with TW, I think we make the 2pt conversion 40% of the time and we DID get a receiver open. But TW’s inability to look up killed the play. It wasn’t like a PAT attempt but a PAT only gave us OT.

Now I will almost ALWAYS go for OT…but frankly beginning in the 3rd quarter it looked like we were getting gassed on D, shut down on O, and USC was heating up. OT is a 50/50 just go get an advantage from the flip…and honestly I wasn’t seeing us tear things up on two consecutive drives to score a TD…I WAS seeing USC perform like that though. SO I honestly believe that going into OT would have caused our chances to drop below 40%.

IF we had Huntley we wouldn’t have been in that position to begin with. IF we had Huntley we would have been more confident in an OT. If we had Huntley we wouldn’t have ran 3 and out through the second half, gassing our D.

So yes…long and short, I think Whitt made the best call available with who we had available for the field.

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Did Whitt make the right call