Dirty Bird

Viewing 2 reply threads

BigUteGuy
      Ute Fan
      @biguteguy

Jamal was just on Pac-12 radio giving his recap of the Rose Bowl. Dude is classic. Loves the program, supports it all the time. Was at something like 6 games this season. I know his boy was just offered a scholarship. At the end of the segment, he said in reference to opening the season at Florida, ‘you know I’ll be there, maybe in a headset even. Rumors. Rumors!’ Is he a candidate for next RB coach?

Larry B
      Ute Fan
      @larryb

That would be awesome! I was thinking Quinton Ganther would be a good option but getting Jamal Anderson would be a great hire.

2008 National Champ
        Ute Fan
        @cptmrgn05

I’m curious why Jamal would be a great RB coach hire? Quick perusal of his Wiki page shows zero coaching experience.

At least Ganther has coached before but I’d really like to see something other than “he played at Utah” be the reason people throw around speculation.

Tlsute
          Ute Fan
          @tlsute

Could be because during his playing career he was one of the best RB’s in the NFL and had a ton of swag to him.

He may not have coaching experience but he certainly knew how to play the position.

That NFL cred could certainly make him a formidable recruiter, which is exactly what we just lost.

Duhwayne
            Ute Fan
            @duhwayne

I think that’s the thesis. U alum, 7th round pick who led the NFC in rushing the year he helped take the Falcons to a superbowl and was a pro bowler. I think he could recruit like mad including in the south and learn the coaching role while sharing experience.

2008 National Champ
            Ute Fan
            @cptmrgn05

He’s also been out of football since 2001. He wouldn’t be recruiting anyone who was alive when he last played. Being able to point to recent success and/or other players he has mentored to the league is much more important to a prospective recruit than someone who can tell them how much fun SLC was in the 90’s.

I’d like the next RB coach to either have current recruiting connections in either a new area that Utah doesn’t currently get players from or provable success where Utah struggles. Keith Bhonapha; UW RB coach under Petersen, retained by Lake, and non-tendered when Lake was fired. Recently signed with Boise as RB coach / associate Head Coach. Utah could probably offer more money and better resources.

RB’s he’s recruited by class:
            2015 – Myles Gaskin, WA (.8791) in the NFL
            2016 – Sean McGrew, CA (.9113)
            2017 – Salvon Ahmed, WA (.9476) in the NFL
            2018 – Trey Lowe, OR (.9094) transferred to Oregon State, Richard Newton, CA (.8767)
            2019 – Cameron Davis, CA (.9016)
            2020 – Sam Adams, WA (.9015), JayVeon Sunday, TX (.8667)
            2021 – Caleb Berry, TX (.8540)

That’s five 4 stars and he’s already put 2 in the NFL. Rather than have Jamal Anderson cold calling high schools and saying “I used to do a silly touchdown dance, send me your best players”, I’d rather Whit find someone with a track record of success. Utah should not be an entry level position. It should be a place where the next big thing wants to prove himself on a higher stage.

Tlsute
              Ute Fan
              @tlsute

I wasn’t saying I believe he will be the next RB coach or would even be a good one.

Just giving a rationale for that line of thinking.

I personally would like to see an established recruiter, IMO this is far more important than getting a coach who is a great position coach. We lost an excellent recruiter with an eye for diamonds in the rough and need to replace him with something similar.

I haven’t done any research on what might be available, so I won’t go into potential candidates.

At the end of the day I believe in our coaching staff and think they will find “their” guy.

Jay
      Ute Fan
      @redrules

Absolutely zero chance utes even think for one second about hiring Jamal Anderson.

Anderson was arrested in February 2009 on suspicion of cocaine possession. Atlanta police said that Anderson and another man were snorting cocaine off the toilet bowl in the restroom of the Peachtree Tavern nightclub.

Anderson was arrested for DUI on June 24, 2012. He was arrested in DeKalb county, just northeast of Atlanta.

Anderson was banned from a QuikTrip store in Suwanee, Georgia on December 14, 2016 after allegedly exposing himself and appearing intoxicated. He was not arrested, but was issued a warning for criminal trespass, effectively a warning that he will be arrested if he returns to that QuikTrip location.

Anderson was arrested on December 23, 2018, after refusing to pay his limo driver $50. He was arrested by Gwinnett County Police where he was released on $213 bail. The limo driver did not press charges. Anderson was intoxicated.

Enough said on this subject.

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.