Does anyone remember the first game?

Viewing 5 reply threads

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

We started the 2017 football season with a different field goal kicker. He pulled his first kick from what should have been a very easy range. Coach Whitt yanked him and Gay was the kicker for the next attempt. Gay was long and solid, so to speak. The rest is history.

SalUteopia
      Ute Fan
      @saluteopia

Why don’t I remember this?! And I call myself an ardent fan… 

NarfUte
      Ute Fan
      @narfute

Chayden Johnston. Top 3 kicker coming out of HS. They were neck and neck coming out of camp and Johnston blew that first kick. He’ll be alright, but it’s good we get Gay back for another year. Crazy he went from walk-on backup to national award winner

SalUteopia
        Ute Fan
        @saluteopia

Now I remember.. My number one concern going into the season was our place-kicker position. 😂 I was so naive.

BD
          Ute Fan
          @flyfisherman

I had the same concern coming into the start of the season. I thought the kicking would be terrible. I attended several spring practices and the kicking wasn’t very good. 

What an improvement. 

pedro
        Ute Fan
        @pedro

I believe Chayden is redshirting this year.  He’ll be fine, he just has to wait a little longer than he was hoping for.  

NarfUte
          Ute Fan
          @narfute

Can’t redshirt this year because he played the first game. Will probably redshirt next season, though 

X723
      Ute Fan
      @x723

Yep that was a very good change — from a non starter to Ray Guy winner that is cool !!

Sweetness
      Ute Fan
      @sweetness

I actually don’t think it was easy range. I think it was a 45-48 yarder if I remember right and he hit very good. Just barely missed. I remember being impressed with the way he hit the ball, and thinking he looked like a legit kicker. Little did I know the freaking Lou Groza award winner was going to come in and take over after that kick.

SkinyUte
        Ute Fan
        @skinyute

I actually don’t think it was easy range. I think it was a 45-48 yarder if I remember right and he hit very good. Just barely missed.

Came in to say this. It was far from a chip shot, and he actually hit it pretty well but pulled it just a bit to the left.

And the rest, as they say, is history. 🙂

Tony (admin)
          Admin/Founder
          @admin

I don’t remember the exact yardage. I looked like it should have been makeable from where I was.

Tony (admin)
            Admin/Founder
            @admin

Ok just looked it up.  45 yards.  35 26 yard line. Not a chip shot.

SkinyUte
              Ute Fan
              @skinyute

Ok just looked it up. 45 yards. 35 yard line. Not a chip shot.

35 yard line would actually be a 52 yard kick. +10 for the end zone, +7 for the snap.

Gay makes it look easy, but that’s a tough kick for anyone.

KiYi-Ute
      Ute Fan
      @kiyi-ute

Kickers are people, too!

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Does anyone remember the first game?