DSA Roundtable: Pac-12 North and South favorites

Viewing 3 reply threads

cjd1
      Ute Fan
      @cjd1

https://oregon.rivals.com/news/dsa-roundtable-pac-12-north-and-south-favorites

Interesting article from Duck fans on Utes and the PAC12 South chances.   

Great1Ute
      Ute Fan
      @tribute

Thanks for posting this link.

PlainsUte
      Ute Fan
      @plainsute

Not sure why people are giving Arizona so much credit.  Gonna be a retooling year.  Just wish Utah had USC’s Pac-12 North schedule.   Gotta beat the dawgs in September!!

Chidojuan
        Ute Fan
        @chidojuan

I hope it will be this way as well, but Arizona always seems to have our number, I think that’s why everyone is concerned about them.

Utah
        Ute Fan
        @utah

I think people are giving Arizona credit for three reasons:

1 – For some reason everyone thinks Sumlin is a big upgrade of RichRod. RichRod has his issues, but he was an offensive genious. He took a RB (Tate) and turned him into a servicable QB. I don’t think Sumlin is a big of an upgrade as people are saying. 

2 – Their conference schedule is ridiculously easy. They should go 2-1 or 3-0 OOC. They play at OSU, which is great, they get Cal at home, which is great because Cal could be tough enough to beat you in California, but easy enough to beat at your house. They don’t play Stanford or Washington and they get Oregon at home. Outside of the Utah and USC games, Arizona could go 7-0 and it wouldn’t be surprising.

3 – The Tate hype has reached full steam. Now, don’t get me wrong. As a running QB, he is amazing. Like, unreal. Maybe Tebow level (and in my mind Tebow was arguably the best COLLEGE QB to ever play the game). BUT, the dude can’t pass and I think a lot of people are forgetting that. He is a RB playing QB. And RichRod was amazing at getting Tate into situations where he could make the easy dump off pass or chuck it deep. Tate is Taysom Hill, only much, much better. 

sweetgrass
      Ute Fan
      @sweetgrass

great stuff from a non-local media outlet.

god forbid we have anything remotely like this (or Wilner from SJ Mercury News) from within the state.

but we can get 30 articles a year about a 6 foot Mormon white boy playing in Asia.

I’m Mormon, but I just don’t get it.

Utah
        Ute Fan
        @utah

I think it is changing. Just yesterday, Gordon Monson was on the radio saying that Utah has surpassed BYU, was singing the praises of Hill and Young keeping everything hidden about the PAC-12 because if they did not, the BYU legislatures would prevent Utah from going to the PAC-12, and how ridiculous that is. 

It will change. It is changing. Dan Sorenson went off on this on a podcast the other day. 

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/state-utah-changed-forever-for-better-day-utah-joined/id1297672490?i=1000415653254&mt=2

Everyone else will come around. I don’t think BYU fans will become Utah fans, but I do think that BYU fans will just die off/fade away. 

In 20 years, Utah will be the clear #1 and will have all these stories as everything evens out. 

Utah
          Ute Fan
          @utah

Here is the link of Monson praising Hill and Young and then the second segment is about why people think Mormons are so weird and how it has hurt Utah and the Jazz and Gobert’s thoughts on that in an interview with Zach Lowe. I think Gobert said the perception of Utah is that it is a s**tty city. Interestingly enough, two very relevant conversations to this board in one 25 min segment. Rudy/Zach Lowe starts at 16 mins in. Rudy says that Utah has never gotten a big free agent and Lowe agrees and says that the reputation that SLC is a “s**tty” place starts at 23:30. 

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/big-show-split-story-history-utah-joining-pac-12-gobert/id1145619805?i=1000415647196&mt=2

3 1

Chidojuan
        Ute Fan
        @chidojuan

It’s that damn Mormon Culture. Heaven forbid we talk about the University of Utah or watch a rated R movie. People don’t think of Baptists when they think of Alabama (well, not only), or Puritans when Massachusetts is mentioned, but Utah will always be the place with the Mormons because of that culture. I don’t mean to say there shouldn’t be one, but it shouldn’t be this Pleasantvillesque sort of thing. People need to reign that in.

4 8

Utah
          Ute Fan
          @utah

It is what it is. And it’s not people being mean to Mormons. It’s the other way around. From the start and Joseph Smith’s multiple wives including marrying other men’s wifes. Then Joseph Smith builds an army and Sidney Rigdon says Mormons will exterminate all gentiles in Missouri which leads to Boggs running them out of the state. Then rumors of blood atonement and the mountain meadows massacre. All the stories of the Danites, attempted genocide of native Americans, castrating young men and so on. Then onto the priesthood/temple ban on people with african descent. And now with all the anti-LGBT+ garbage, high depression rates and youth suicides.

The LDS have very deliberately taken stances on issues that have been wrong and have treated people horribly because of it. That is going to segregate yourself from mainstream society when you do that. It’s going to lead to black athletes being very wary of the state. It’s going to lead to opinions of it being a s**tty city.

You reap what you sow.

Chidojuan
            Ute Fan
            @chidojuan

I shouldn’t have said anything, my comment belongs on utefans.net.  As for what I am sowing, it’s a strong red Kool-Aid, which will reap a Pac-12 Championship.

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football DSA Roundtable: Pac-12 North and South favorites