Dub fans discuss Utah

Viewing 8 reply threads

Duhwayne
      Ute Fan
      @duhwayne

Really hoping the drops, the oblock and the sack taking is fixed. We’re capable of the win.

https://www.uwdawgpound.com/2018/9/11/17846030/opponent-offense-preview-utah-utes

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

Spot on.

Utahute72
      Ute Fan
      @utahute72

The key to this game is the O-line. If they can fix their issues it becomes a lot easier to function and even the drops by the receivers can be overcome, if they continue to be porous we are in for a long day.

Utah
        Ute Fan
        @utah

If we keep Huntley to two or less sacks, we win big. 

RiseasUtes
          Ute Fan
          @riseasutes

I dont think winning big is going to happen(Ill happily eat crow if it happens though).  Lets get our O going and see if we can keep Washington out of the endzone.  If we can hold them to field goals we will have a great chance.  I have us winning by 1-4 points, but our O needs to show a lot more if that is going to happen.  Im not worried about the D doing what they do.

2 1

Utah
            Ute Fan
            @utah

Outside of our OL, we are better than they are. We have the better QB, better RB. They have better WR’s. 

If our OL holds up, we will score 21+ on offense. I expect our defense to score and their ST’s are terrible. It wouldn’t shock me to see a Covey punt return. 

I don’t think they get more than 20 on us. So, if our OL keeps the sacks to 2 or less, then they were fantastic. If that’s the case, then we win big. 28 or 30-17. 

If our OL sucks, it will be a 17-14 type game. 

20 2

therealu
              Ute Fan
              @therealu

I am all for positivity…but good god man.

RiseasUtes
        Ute Fan
        @riseasutes

100%.  I havent seen anything from our Oline yet that shows I can trust any of them.  Penalties, missed assignments, getting beat badly, getting overpowered etc.  Lo is the only one playing decent up to this point.  This worries me a ton going forward.  If we are going to have a chance against Wash, they have to step up big time.  Huntley needs a few seconds to get rid of the ball and he hasnt had that yet.  

Utah
          Ute Fan
          @utah

I’d rephrase your statement: if our OL doesn’t step up, this will be a dog fight. 

Washington is a carbon copy of us this year, but our QB and DL is better than theirs. Maybe even our LB’s and secondary. 

And on paper our ST is better than Washington. 

If our OL steps up, it’s a 30-17 game, Utah wins. If not, it’s a 17-14 game, either team wins. 

RiseasUtes
            Ute Fan
            @riseasutes

No, Im not going to rephrase my sentence just to sound irrationally red goggled.  Washington is good and I think you are underestimated them or just refusing to give them their credit.  If we get good Oline play I feel we can get the win, if not I dont really think there is a shot at winning.  

FYI, Huntley hasnt shown any signs of being better than Browning up to this point(a lot of that is because of weak OL play).  Our Dline is pretty even with theirs, as is our LBs and DBs.  Washington is pretty stacked, hense their top 10 ranking the last 3 years.  Both Olines are the weak spots on O.  They have better WRs, and their RB is just as good as Moss, but just a different type of back.  Once again, I feel we can win, but I dont see us beating them down by any means.

Virginia Ute
              Ute Fan
              @virginiaute

Yeah, where is this “Huntley is better than Browning” talk coming from?  

TheJuggernaut
            Ute Fan
            @thejuggernaut

Washington’s secondary is the best in college football, and it’s not close.

concerned
      Ute Fan
      @concerned

Are the o-line problems correctable? Do we need better coordination and technique or do we just need better players?

In addition to the 2 or 3 holding calls, wasn’t Agasiva also the ineligible receiver downfield? He is a senior for crying out loud.

Chidojuan
        Ute Fan
        @chidojuan

I believe they are. While we do need better players, and I’m not sure if this group will ever be GREAT, I think they’ve proven that they can be serviceable. With a great RB, a good QB, and serviceable OL and TE’s, I think there is the possibility for the offense to be greater than the sum of it’s parts. At least 1 of the holding calls was “excessive blocking” where Agasiva drove his man into the ground. Should not have been called, but it’s starting to feel like refs are watching out for things with certain players. An example is Marquise Blair. He had a lot of targeting calls where they picked up the flag, and only 1 confirmed against AZ that I can remember. It felt like they were quick to call it against him after the AZ game because of the confirmation. I wonder if they feel the same about Agasiva regarding holding? Also, Dan Sorensen or Steve Bartle, can’t remember which, on UteZone mentioned that they thought the ineligible receiver downfield call was BS. Agasiva does need to be better, but I bet the remaining penalties were frustration related, so I believe it will be fixed. Where is my 64 ounce mug of Kool-Aid?

FtheY
        Ute Fan
        @fthey

Even if we did need better players, that won’t change until next year anyway. Time to make do with what we have – coach up and step up. 

As a lineman, it’s no longer about you. It’s about not letting your teammates down. 110% effort for your buddies and for your your seniors. 

KoolWhitt
      Ute Fan
      @koolwhitt

I haven’t seen much of UW this year; I was only able to watch a few minutes of the Auburn game.  I do lurk on other teams’ boards from time to time, usually on game week.  For the most part, I really like the UW board.  Articles tend to be well researched and the comments are generally informed.  Many fans over there have been calling this their toughest conference game for months.

Based on what I’ve read there (again, I’ve seen the Huskies play very little so far), it sounds like two keys that might help us win are their O-Line and their lack of edge rushers on the D-Line.  Yes, our O-Line has struggled, too, but it was on the edge that Sutton Smith did the most damage last week.  They don’t have a guy like that (very few teams do),so that’s a big plus.

We do have some great edge rushers, so if their O-line is as wonky as some fear it is, then we should have an advantage in the trenches.

IMO, it all comes down to our WR group.  If they have a good game, we win.  If they don’t, well…

1 2

Utah
        Ute Fan
        @utah

This week comes down to these things:

Our OL vs their DL, their DL vs our OL and QB play. 

I liked their DL a lot preseason, but losing Adams is devastating to them. And our DL is nasty. I think we get to Browning a TON on Saturday. NUI kept 6-7 guys to block our OL and they were successful doing so. If UW has to keep 6-7 guys to block our DL, we’ve won the game. 

I think our OL is better then theirs and our DL is better than theirs. Their DL is like ours was last year, if you take Lowell off. 

And I think Huntley is a better QB than Browning. If we can keep Huntley upright, we win. 

7 1

Tony (admin)
          Admin/Founder
          @admin

Dude, they almost beat Auburn on the road and we barely beat NIU.

ProudUte
          Ute Fan
          @proudute

IMO they have a better QB and RB.  We have a very good RB, but Gaskins is a step above IMO.  I don’t think it is even close at QB.  But, I will agree that Browing has his vulnerabilities.  

Duhwayne
      Ute Fan
      @duhwayne

Dawg Pound is one of the best fan forums in the PAC12. All the Washington fans that Oregon fans complain about are at Harcore Huskies. The difference is split personality levels different. Then again, so is the State of Washington. It’s like dropping the Bay Area in Couer D’Alene.

concerned
      Ute Fan
      @concerned

Is UW’s all-America left tackle back or out?

Chidojuan
        Ute Fan
        @chidojuan

Trey Adams? Out for the season.

concerned
      Ute Fan
      @concerned

I suppose. I don’t know his name; Utah said Adams is a DL, which is the reason I asked about the OL.

UtMtBiker
      Ute Fan
      @utmtbiker

I have to say, this is a fantasitc article.  I really with we had some local folks with similar talent. 

Duhwayne
        Ute Fan
        @duhwayne

The guy is amazing and his commenters are even more amazing. They’ll talk exxes and ohs and riff on how Kierkegaard would have rated Peterson’s dialectical approach to coaching 20 somethings. Never posted there but if I were a regular somewhere, I’d want it to be there.

Chidojuan
          Ute Fan
          @chidojuan

We could start something like that here. How would Freud rank the female sideline commentators? Or does Jackson Barton allow enough expression of his Jungian Shadow to be an effective offensive lineman?

tarheelute
            Ute Fan
            @tarheelute

I drink therefore I am. (a ute fan)

Viewing 8 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Dub fans discuss Utah