Ed Reed’s tweet

Viewing 4 reply threads

Onlyu
      Ute Fan
      @uf8fl

I’m a big Ed Reed fan…hell of a player and tells it how it is. He tweeted this yesterday…

“Transfer portal got kids making bad decisions, it may work here and there! A lot of kids gonna find themselves on the street instead of in school getting a education. #ncaa u wrong #kids stay in school. So spoil!”

There are plenty of good reasons to jump into the portal but so many bad reasons. Talented kids from good programs, with solid backgrounds will end up fine but there are so many bad situations out there that will have a huge negative impact on these students. I’ve said it before…I hate the portal even as it benefits us much more than most.

Utah5410
      Ute Fan
      @utah5410

ONLYU. Any insight into guys leaving our program ? I ask, because for the first time since the portal I see a lot more negativity about it than positivity. Don’t get me wrong its great for some kids. But for the majority it does not benefit them. I still dont understand why Boyd, Dixon would transfer. I mean Boyd was the third corner and was guaranteed playing time. Dixon was basically a starter.

Onlyu
        Ute Fan
        @uf8fl

My honest opinion is they got some bad advice, feel slighted some how or don’t want to wait their turn or split time. I get it…nobody does. Covey was going to take a lot of JD’s reps this year. JD can spread the field but so can BT. Nacua was healthy and Enis, and Thompson we’re gonna be on the field too. So he was probably 5th or 6th coming into the season. Still would have gotten balls his way though.

Hard to say with Boyd…WR turned CB but a ton of young talent in the room. Might have been 3rd to start but would have been tough to hold onto that spot. Maybe he saw the writing on the wall or maybe he felt he was getting “screwed.”

It’s a tough business…Take Dart for example. He’s going to USC behind Slovis and will battle it out with another stud 4 star QB. USC will bring in a 4-5 star guy each year that he’s there so it’s a constant competition. Love a kid that is willing to compete and believes in himself but it’s a grind at these top 25 type programs. Always a young stud coming in to take your job. As recruiting continues to improve that’s the battle you face. Good for the program but very challenging for the athletes.

UtahUtesRock
          Ute Fan
          @utahutesrock

ONLYU. What’s the story with Ben Lennon? That’s been the only one I was really surprised to hear. I wasn’t aware of anybody pushing him. The others I think I know they are all just kids but if you’re not wanting to compete then I wish them the best. 

Central Coast Ute
            Ute Fan
            @flip2848

They had a different kid in there for the Colorado game and he did a better job. I’d say he got pushed out.

Central Coast Ute
        Ute Fan
        @flip2848

You can throw Brumfield into there with Boyd and Dixon too.

Jake
      Ute Fan
      @jutahfootball

For every Justin Fields and Joe Burrow there are 10+ kids (probably more) that won’t even make it on a team, but all people see are the couple success stories

gUrthBrooks
      Ute Fan
      @hammer

Sharrief Shaw was a guy that wanted to leave Utah after year 1 because was not happy. 3 UofU degrees later (a law degree included), passed the bar exam,  a solid law career, and a coach back at the Alma Mater, I bet he’s happy he stayed. 

pedro
      Ute Fan
      @pedro

Agree.  Just look at where any Utah transfer has ended up?  Mariner may be the only one that got an equal amount of playing time, with a inferior team.  Has there been any others that ended up better off?  I can’t think of any.

Sunspot
        Ute Fan
        @sunspot

Stevie Tu’ikolovatu is the first one I remember. I think he transferred to USC in 2016 and got more playing time there as a defensive tackle.

EagleMountainUte
          Ute Fan
          @battlegroundute

Stevie made a great decision to move to a depleted team in need of dlineman. It benefitted him greatly. Some of kids going into the portal this year are facing stiff competition with overcrowded rosters. 

salty-ute
            Ute Fan
            @salty-ute

Keep in mind this was also before the portal existed. Back when you had to have an option for a place to transfer to before jumping headfirst into a portal.

Crazyforu
          Ute Fan
          @crazyforu

Raelon Singleton did well at Houston too.

Central Coast Ute
        Ute Fan
        @flip2848

Nick Heniger comes to mind.

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Ed Reed’s tweet