Educate me on recruiting.

Viewing 2 reply threads

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

Why can teams offer more than their allotment and basically breach a contract in a sense with kids?  I think you should get sanctioned if you plan on cutting kids who already hold a schollie essentiall trying to string loads of players on.  They should be given an allotment that is audited by the NCAA and they can then send these offers to kids.  Just my opinion.  

Utah
      Ute Fan
      @utah

I agree. The scholarships are year to year. So, a player can be cut at any time. That is why Utah has players “medically” retire every year. They aren’t good enough to play, but if they retire due to a medical reason, they get to keep their scholarship but it doesn’t count against the 85 limit. 

I think you are talking about USC right now. It looks like USC will be waaaay over their allotted 85 scholarships. They will have to “cut” 5-10 players after Feb 2. 

What will happen is that you will see a bunch of kids announce that they are transferring or retiring. Let’s hope that some of the Utah kids get cut. Then, we can use that when recruiting against USC. One more reason for these kids to stay home. 

EagleMountainUte
        Ute Fan
        @battlegroundute

I just feel like P5 teams need to be semi pro lets remove any illusion that these kids are student athletes anymore.  Pay them for their service and lets start getting the best product on the field. 

Stone
        Ute Fan
        @stone

I agree with your sentiment, but your first paragraph indicates Utah does the same thing as USC, so not sure how Utah could use that as a tool to recruit local kids over USC. 

EagleMountainUte
          Ute Fan
          @battlegroundute

What he is saying is the local products that leave they can say look you will get cut because USC over recruits by a ridiculous amount.  It really is a ridiculous amount that they are over. 

Utah
            Ute Fan
            @utah

Aren’t they six players over and still recruiting hard? Crazy. 

Stone
            Ute Fan
            @stone

Right, but @Utah suggests that the Utes cut players for that simply are not good enough to play, but use “medical reasons” as the justification. Certainly the Utes recruit players to fill those spots in advance, knowing which players will medically retire.

Similarly, it sounds like USC is heavily over recruiting their open slots, with the implication that players already on the team will be forced to “retire.” 

The practice may be more prevalent at USC than Utah, I have no idea how often it happens at either school, but if Utah is playing that game too, it would seem hard to hurl accusations at USC.

iamthepreacher
        Ute Fan
        @iamthepreacher

I think you’re way over simplifying things. In many cases, probably most cases, if a player medically retires he actually is closing the chapter on playing football for good reasons. It’s a physically taxing game, so it’s understandable for a player to retire. If they wanted to keep playing the game (on scholarship, no less), they would just transfer to another program. They could transfer to an FCS school and play right away. Since that doesn’t happen with medical retirees, it’s safe to say there are genuine reasons why they are stepping away from the game. Sorry, but I couldn’t let this discussion continue with a huge logical fallacy like this not pointed out.

noneyadb
      Ute Fan
      @noneyadb

Wonder if they’ll allow those that used their red-shirt this season to transfer without having to sit out another year. 

Utah
        Ute Fan
        @utah

Bwahahahahahahahahahahahaha. 

I doubt it. Just like how Kalani always releases players…unless it’s his. 

EagleMountainUte
          Ute Fan
          @battlegroundute

These coaches are such snakes. 

Utah
            Ute Fan
            @utah

It’s sad but true. All coaches do it. Even Kyle. 

BUT, to be fair to the coaches, if they didn’t do it, we scream for their heads to be fired. 

If I was making 3 million a year and cutting some kids (or medically retiring them) gave me a better chance to do that, I’d cut them in a heartbeat. 

noneyadb
          Ute Fan
          @noneyadb

Your comparing Kalani to Helton? Fail… 

There’sa difference between a coach with limited recruits allowing his best players to transfer and a coach allowing a red shirt 3* kid to transfer with 4 and 5* players fighting for the same position. 

Shaw just allowed Lund to transfer, praised and wished him the best of luck…

EagleMountainUte
            Ute Fan
            @battlegroundute

I think he is comparing the behaviors. Sitake is an outright hypocrit bitching about USU not allowing a player to transfer post mission then doing the same thing when it is your own. 

Can’t really blame Sitake though polishing the brass on a sinking ship is hard. 

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Educate me on recruiting.