educational

4 2

SrJ
    Ute Fan
    @john777

Question for you physics majors, if I fart inside a walk-in refrigerator, does the gas expand or contract?

UtahFanSir
    Ute Fan
    @utahfansir

When gas expands, the decrease in pressure causes the molecules to slow down. This makes the gas cold. Then there is the impact on cooling further in the refer. 

My advice. Don’t fart in walk-in refrigerators. 

GameForAnyFuss
    Ute Fan
    @gameforanyfuss

Answer:

It’s a trick question. The gas can’t expand or contract because it’s not in a fixed volume. The Ideal Gas Law (PV=nRT) only applies in a fixed volume where the pressure is higher than atmospheric. So the fridge wouldn’t be considered a fixed volume unless it’s a really small fridge or a really huge fart. A normal fart in a normal fridge would just blow where the breeze takes it – no pressure change due to temperature.

I’m such a nerd.

Thlete
      Ute Fan
      @thlete

I guess I’m a nerd too because I definitely enjoyed your response.

Utebeam
    Ute Fan
    @utebeam

One questions to add to that, does temperature and humidity effect the smell of the fart? It seems that when I hot box the shower with my wife in it that my farts stink way worse than when I fart outside on a cold day.

SrJ
      Ute Fan
      @john777

That is totally true, they do smell 10 times worse, specially if you’re taking a steam shower. I bet GameForAnyFuss has a really good answer for why that is. My guess is that the warmer vaper inside the shower traps the fart exposing your olfactory nerve to the stimuli for a longer amount of time.

GameForAnyFuss
        Ute Fan
        @gameforanyfuss

I suspect it’s because the methane molecules bond to the water molecules, and when you breathe it in it reaches more of your olfactory receptors because the molecules are heavier. Kinda like how a bong works (I’m told).

We might need a chemist to confirm. We’ve reached the limits of my knowledge of the science of hammy gas.

PlainsUte
      Ute Fan
      @plainsute

Methane, being lighter than air, rises and disperses.  Also being 90 degrees coming out of your body adds buoyancy and helps it get carried off.   But when the air is warmer and/or more humid the difference in density is reduced so it will not disperse as quickly.

Utebeam
        Ute Fan
        @utebeam

So the smell might not be any different but you are just exposed to it for a longer period of time? Damn, one of lifes greatest questions was just answered!

Johnny80
      Ute Fan
      @johnny80

Another question to ask: do farts smell worse in New Orleans because of the high humidity compared to somewhere like Salt Lake where we have relatively low humidity?

Tony
    Admin/Founder
    @admin

Welcome to the off-season.

Johnny80
    Ute Fan
    @johnny80

We need more questions like this on the board.

SrJ
      Ute Fan
      @john777

On a related issue, does any of you have some good tips on how to prevent sharting? I was up in Park city on a ski lift when I felt an erge to let one rip. What better place to do it than at 50ft. Up in the air on a moving chair and No one else around right? So I released the sphincter 100% and damn! To make matters worse, I was flying COMANDO that day and could fill the price trickling down my legs. When I got to the top, the hot looking assistant at the top gave me this weird  look and pretended she did not see me approaching. I was hanging there for about 5 minutes until this dude came out to help me off the chair.

Utebeam
        Ute Fan
        @utebeam

OMG, did it trickle into your ski boots? Note to self, never go commando on a ski lift and try to push one out.

“never trust a fart”

Pace Manyung
        Ute Fan
        @a2ute

^fake

SrJ
    Ute Fan
    @john777

Did not trickle into the boots, but I did have some icicles attached to my Hairy legs by the time I made it down the slope.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Utah Utes Message Board Forums Misc educational

This topic contains 15 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  SrJ 5 months, 1 week ago.