ESPN

Viewing 8 reply threads

ALUF
      Ute Fan
      @dbgii77

Anyone else frustrated that Dave Fleming and rod Gilmore are calling the game Saturday? No? Just me?

I can’t stand either of them

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

Trailgoat
      Ute Fan
      @utahgoat

Can’t get out of my head Rod Gilmore sounding like Tim Meadows from the SNL Ladies Man skit. One of the top-10 SNL skits of all time IMO.

AlaskaSteveUteAlum
      Ute Fan
      @alaskasteveutealum

Will they actually be there, or just calling the game from the studio? They’re terrible announcers. It could be worse—the game could be on ESPN+.

EagleMountainUte
        Ute Fan
        @battlegroundute

Yeah they don’t even travel anymore. It is pathetic. Journalism is dead if you even want to call sportscasting a form of journalism anymore. 

UtesRule
        Ute Fan
        @utesrule

I think it’s FS1 that does the games remotely. ESPN crew should be there in person.

EagleMountainUte
          Ute Fan
          @battlegroundute

I think there was like two plays against Stanford where I absolutely knew they were not there in person. I think it was on a substitution or something. They also wait for replays it was kind of apparent. 

FtheY
      Ute Fan
      @fthey

Don’t love them, don’t hate them. They are goofy, but not Bill Walton goofy at least. Seems like the tend to favor our opponents more than us, but that could be my red goggles. 

They tend to call the late game, and we tend to get the late slots on ESPN. Which means they call several games a year for us usually. I think 3+ A year if I were a betting man. 

So long story long, they aren’t my favorite and I wish we had more variety. 

Side note – I feel like we haven’t had a Gus Johnson and a Joel Klatt call in ages (they are Fox, I believe). 

prestitute
      Ute Fan
      @prestitute

They are terrible. That us part of why I am traveling to the game instead.

SalUteopia
      Ute Fan
      @saluteopia

I’m too nervous and distracted to be paying attention to the commentators.

Johnny
      Ute Fan
      @johnny

They are horrendous 

Staples
      Ute Fan
      @staples

This is probably my bias showing from being a San Francisco Giants fan, but I like Flemming (he and the legendary Jon Miller share radio broadcasts for the Giants.) Gilmore on the other hand … meh.

Viewing 8 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.