Expectations

Viewing 5 reply threads
      2 2

Hal Evans
      Ute Fan
      @dixieute

Another comical thing is  over 1/2 of the people participating in the poll think the team fell short of expectations. That has to be personal expectations because the team to this point has done almost exactly what the experts predicted they would do going into the season. Folks you need to have more realistic views of what we have not what you wish we had

RiseasUtes
      Ute Fan
      @riseasutes

I think all personal votes on a message board would be = personal expectations.

FYI-They met my expectations, but did not meet my hopes.

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

Experts say a lot of things and are totally wrong on the CFP. Utah was close this year and could have exceeded expectations which led to a feeling of disappointment. 

3 1

UteThunder
      Ute Fan
      @utethunder

I expected 7-5 but thought 6-6 was a likely outcome. So I guess you could say my expectations were met.

However . . .

After starting the season 4-0 with a win over BYU(a game I had us losing), of course my expectations went up. And then looking at each individual game we lost, there were at least 3 games where the expectation changed from a loss to a win. Stanford, USC, and UW were all pre-season losses but as the games played out, they should have been wins. All 3 of them were there for the taking. So looking at things this way, the team definitely did not meet expectations.  

EagleMountainUte
        Ute Fan
        @battlegroundute

BINGO!!

But I gotta say REALLY?? Losing to BYU?? Was it like Sitake, homefield advantage(way overblown in this rivalry), Detmer, Mangum? What was your reasoning? 

UteThunder
          Ute Fan
          @utethunder

BYU returned more starters than we did, the game was in Provo, and we were extremely fortunate to pull out the last second win in 2016. I figured with all of the talent we lost and them having more experienced coaches and players than the year before that they would get the win. As it turned out, we put ourselves in a position where they had the ball with a chance to win the game so I don’t think my prediction was too far out there.

1 2

EagleMountainUte
            Ute Fan
            @battlegroundute

Yes as much as we like to say Utah barely loss to the top of the P12 they still loss. Barely winning over BYU is another annoying trademark of Whitt. 

UTE98
      Ute Fan
      @ute98

I didn’t vote, however I think looking back and seeing the USC, WSU, Stanford and Washington games it’s hard not to wonder if they “met expectations.” I know there was a night, can’t remember if it was against ASU or Oregon and I was wondering if the team really cared, or had any pride. So in retrospect they did not meet my expectations. I don’t think the loss to ASU or Oregon in the manner they did “met expectations.” Did I expect a Pac12 South title? No, but I expected them to at least show up for all the games. We beat Arizona who finished in front of us in the South, but other than that… not much.

5 1

UteFanatic
      Ute Fan
      @utefanatic

During the last 3 seasons, Utah has gone 9-4, 10-3, and 9-4.  Because of the recent history, 9 wins has become the new expecation, so why is it comical to you that fans expect to win 9+ games?  It’s not an unattainable expectation when you’ve already achieved a certain level of success.

And let’s be honest – Vegas, national media, and other so called “experts” have been and always will be pessimistic about Utah’s chances.  And they are often wrong.  

1 1

ragtownute
        Ute Fan
        @ragtownute

It’s not unreasonable to expect nine wins with the garbage OOC schedule that we have/will have for next few years. 3-0 coming into conference shedule. Go 6-3 in conference. I think that’s the logic chain most people follow who expect 9 wins.

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Expectations