Fire Whittingham then what…?

Viewing 12 reply threads

BYU Sucks
      Ute Fan
      @byusucks

Whittingham has done an amazing job before Utah was in the Pac-12 and even with the transition into the Pac-12.  However, as of late, it seems like his ceiling of performance is relatively low, especially concerning the offense.  So, some people have been calling for Whitt to be fired and I welcome that consideration as long as there is a legitimate candidate to take his place.   Who would you suggest?  

Bryan Harsin?  Would he leave Boise State to take the Utah job if offered to him?  

Who else is a reasonable candidate to replace Whitt?  

2 1

RiseasUtes
      Ute Fan
      @riseasutes

I’m not on the fire KW train yet, but Jay Hill would be one guy I would look at if it came to that.

Xanthis
      Ute Fan
      @xanthis

That’s Mark Harlan’s job. Not ours. 

3 4

BYU Sucks
        Ute Fan
        @byusucks

<That’s Mark Harlan’s job. Not ours. >

Yes, OBVIOUSLY it’s his job to make the hire, but it’s not unreasonable for me to ask people to justify their claims for Whitt’s firing.

ironman1315
      Ute Fan
      @ironman1315

Stanford’s DC.

Utahute72
        Ute Fan
        @utahute72

The new AD isn’t likely to make that move for a year or two.  So we need to hope for bowl eligibility for the next couple of years.

Utahute72
          Ute Fan
          @utahute72

In terms of who replaces him, someone with P5 coordinator experience., Who is a successful fbs head coach.

Anonymous
        Inactive

No more zoobs.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Bryan Harsin and Ryan Day are my first two calls.

6 1

Distantute
        Ute Fan
        @distantute

There is zero risk in firing whit. He gets us to a s**tty bowl every year with a losing conference record and bowl eligibility thanks to BYU and fcs teams. There’s zero risk in firing whit. He doesn’t keep any big time local recruits and will never win the south. Georgia fired richt and he won 9-10 games a year. We hold our breath for 6.  Get rid of whi

KiYi-Ute
          Ute Fan
          @kiyi-ute

Are you honestly comparing our program to Georgia? 

Lol

1 1

Distantute
            Ute Fan
            @distantute

In a way yes. Georgia knew their ceiling was greater than 9-10 wins just like our ceiling is greater than 6 wins. There is zero risk in firing whit. Any coach can come here and get 5-6 wins.  Unfortunately that is whits ceiling as we have seen year after year

KiYi-Ute
              Ute Fan
              @kiyi-ute

Zero risk? Alright, let’s hire Chip Kelly or Kevin Sumlin and see how that goes. 

1 1

Ute Bc
      Ute Fan
      @utebc

I think Leach would consider coming here. 

Tony (admin)
        Admin/Founder
        @admin

Why? That’s a lateral move.

2 3

KiYi-Ute
      Ute Fan
      @kiyi-ute

In my opinion, the “Fire Whitt” crowd is reactionary and short-sighted. 

They never propose someone to hire in his stead, they don’t consider recruiting, and they don’t acknowledge that without Whittingham, this program would still be in the MWC. 

I am not saying that we should be complacent; but do you really think that you will find a better hire than Whittingham? Someone who can recruit kids to weird SLC? 

I understand wanting the best. But at a certain point you also have to be realistic. 

Anonymous
        Inactive

There are three names of realistic candidates in this thread alone. 

Even though your criterion is ridiculous. Why would a fan have the replacement name?

KiYi-Ute
          Ute Fan
          @kiyi-ute

I’ll acknowledge that my third criterion might be tough, as holding someone accountable to the past is difficult. But if an individual thinks that they known enough to call for someone else to get fired, they should know enough to suggest a replacement and provide reasoning behind it. 

2 1

UtesRock
      Ute Fan
      @utahrockon

He doen’t have the fire, and the list is long.  Glad it’s not my decision.

1 1

BYU Sucks
      Ute Fan
      @byusucks

I keep seeing replies with different thoughts about Whittingham, but still very few names with a justification as to why. I read Stanford’s DC, Bryan Harsin, and Ryan Day, but why would you recommend these people? Again, I want legitimate reasons for moving on from Whittingham (and any of the current staff). If you’re anti-Whittingham or anti-Taylor, the floor is yours to make a legit argument for which new hires should be made.

On a similar note, do you think Les Miles would consider the Utah job if offered to him? I read he was a leading candidate for the Arizona job last year in the off season and he has a proven track record of success.

Distantute
        Ute Fan
        @distantute

Did you not read? There’s zero risk in firing whit.  It isn’t as if we are winning 9-10 games a year. We are winning 5-6 games a year and will take last this year in the worst p5 division in football. I could coach this team and get 5 wins. Whit brings zero to the table. Worst case scenario the new coach comes in and takes last – just like what will happen this year

BJA 13
      Ute Fan
      @bja13

Whittingham issues (my opinion only):

1: Never coached as a coordinator/recruited in P5 level program prior to coaching at Utah.  Was never mentored or experienced in high level football.  Seems to hold the same mentality as he had in the MWC.

2: Horrible track record with hiring/offense.  Lots of “loyalty” and “buddy” hires.  Seems lazy in his hiring searches IMO.  Troy Taylor was a worse hire than Brian Johsnon.  

3. Plays not to lose with a lead.  Always keeps the game close.  

4. Rinse, repeat every year.  

Utesbyfive
      Ute Fan
      @utesbyfive

…something different.

Grimmetal
      Ute Fan
      @grimmetal

If your only defense to this question is, “Well, who’s replacing him?” That’s lazy and exactly the kind of attitude that needs to be washed from this program. That’s such a conservative question (non-political context btw), it makes me sick. Who? Well, a guy that isn’t afraid of taking a game by the throat. A guy that isn’t afraid of taking risks. A guy that can blow a game open instead of going into conservative/predictable mode the second we have a lead.

Also, I’d much rather see something closer to pro-style than this RPO gimmick. We might as well run the wildcat.

Fire Whittingham and then what? Well, you start dreaming big and you find a guy willing to take risks, really. I’d love Mike Leach. I’d love Les Miles. I’d love Sark. I’d love Harsin. The list can go on and on.

BJA 13
        Ute Fan
        @bja13

Had anyone heard if Urban Meyer before he came to Utah?  

The same arguments were made for keeping McBride before Meyer came on.  

No one regretted that decision.  I’m not saying it will turn out that way but it was time.  

TexanUte
      Ute Fan
      @texanute

Agree with the sentiment above that there is absolutely zero risk in going another direction. 8 seasons and no division title. Where’s the risk? As we approach a full decade in the Pac 12 South you would think with just pure dumb luck and random variation we would win the division. Nope

Viewing 12 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Fire Whittingham then what…?