Food for Thought Re: Penn State Keeping Their Top 10 Ranking

Viewing 2 reply threads
      2 6

UteThunder
      Ute Fan
      @utethunder

A few have voiced their displeasure(?), confusion(?), frustration(?) with Penn State remaining in the top 10 after beating Appalachian State.

In 2008, were you bothered when Utah moved up from #11 to #10 after beating a 4-5 at the time, and eventually 4-8, New Mexico team by a score of just 13-10?

That Appalachian State win will probably end up being a much better win for Penn State than the New Mexico win was for Utah. App State has gone 11-2, 10-3, and 9-4 the last three seasons.

1 2

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

The difference is huge.  The UNM game was certainly a debacle which I am unhappy about still today.  However, we already had some great wins at that point.  We had proved something.  Also, UNM’s Rocky Long seemed to have the Utes’ number when it came to defending us.  Penn State has proved nothing.  They played poorly.  I am not saying they should have dropped out of the top 25, but they certainly did not look like a top ten team IMO.

My main obejection yesterday was pre-season rankings in general.  Once a team is in the top ten, you can’t knock them out without a loss.  Some teams don’t have a tough schedule and won’t get knocked out regardless of how poorly they play.  Boise could fit the bill this year if they get by OK State.  Wisconsin played a pathetic schedule last year and was considered for the final four, but lost the conference chanpionship.  I don’t think Wisconsin looked like a top 8 team let alone a top 4.  

COFfrom83
        Ute Fan
        @coffrom83

too often Rocky Long’s method of defending us was to go after our top running back’s knees

3 1

Puget Ute
          Ute Fan
          @pugetute

I think that was his DC, Bronco Mendenhall, who pulled that garbage.

UtMtBiker
      Ute Fan
      @utmtbiker

The down votes? App State is twice the team UNM has ever been.  Don’t forget they aren’t FCS anymore. 

UteThunder
        Ute Fan
        @utethunder

Anything that isn’t sunshine and rainbows . . . 

2 1

UteThunder
      Ute Fan
      @utethunder

You’re right, it’s not close in comparison. Like I said, App State is probably a much better team than UNM was.

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Food for Thought Re: Penn State Keeping Their Top 10 Ranking