Football Recruiting

Viewing 3 reply threads

UtahFanSir
      Ute Fan
      @utahfansir

ESPN FB Recruiting Utah’s 2020 Class.

247Sports List of Top Utah FB Players.

The ESPN list shows seven committed players. The 247Sports list of top Utah players shows 5 more who are not on the ESPN list. These five include Mason Falslev, who is already a sign & send.

If you look at the 247Sports list, some of the other kids have a Utah offer. For example, #8 Bodie Schoonover, apparently committed to BYU, has a Utah offer. An uncommited recruit with a Utah offer is Drason Havea, while Utah is listed as cool and BYU is warmer.

Clearly Utah is in the hunt for talent. See this Salt Lake Tribune article from August that said Utah spends a fair amount, more than you would think on FB recruiting. See that here: Utah’s spending on FB recruiting is highest in the Pac-12.

I post these since some folks here believe and then tell us that Utah is––relatively speaking––not that good in recruiting. I take it they expect if the coaches were better recruiters Utah would have more 4* and 5* recruits. As others do, I believe Utah makes more of its recruiting than just about anybody.

The trajectory of Utah football is certainly something to crow about. Perhaps more recruits will see that and how well Utah does in getting players into the NFL. Then more 4-5* kids will give Utah more than a visit.

mfaulk80
      Ute Fan
      @mfaulk80

All 3 of your links go to the same ESPN page.

I think I agree with your larger point, but I’m not following the logic tbh…

Regardless, I think this is shaping up to be a great class even if the ranking isn’t there yet.  There is a lot of buzz about landing some great prospects, and we’ve started to see the dominos fall a bit with 4 commitments in the last week.  While fans rely on 247 ratings to evaluate talent, Utah has it’s own internal way to evaluate talent.  Following who the coaches are more heavily targeting kind of gives an indication of their internal ratings…and if that’s accurate, then we’re doing pretty well this year.  

Also keep in mind that a lot of 247 ratings are a year old now.  They do their best to update ratings, and there is a great chance that players like Wegis are going to get a big bump.  It happens every year, and that’s actually one way that we move up the rankings late in the signing period.  It just shows that Utah does a good job evaluating talent, and then 247 eventually catches up…

UtahFanSir
      Ute Fan
      @utahfansir

2020 FB Ranking of Utah HS Recruits.

Utah Spends the most in the Pac-12 on FB Recruiting.

I’ve discovered that if I edit posts, the format blows up. So here are the proper links to the last two articles.

UtahFanSir
      Ute Fan
      @utahfansir

2020 FB Ranking of Utah HS Recruits.

https://247sports.com/Season/2020-Football/CompositeRecruitRankings/?InstitutionGroup=Highschool&State=UT

Utah Spends the most in the Pac-12 on FB Recruiting.

https://www.sltrib.com/sports/utah-utes/2019/08/06/utah-spends-more-football/

I’ve discovered that if I edit posts, the format blows up. So here are the proper links to the last two articles.

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Football Recruiting