Fun with cfbtrivia, pt. 2

Viewing 2 reply threads

CincyUte
      Ute Fan
      @cincyute

I’ve been crunching some numbers again.  It looks like there are 85 games this weekend involving an FBS team.  Of those 85, more than half (47) feature an FBS vs. FCS matchup.  And there are many more FBS-FCS games in the coming weeks.

Since 2006–when the regular season went to 12 games–the growing trend has been to play more FBS-FCS games, usually in the first few weeks of the season.  It’s a somewhat anti-climatic way to begin the season.  The plus-side is it means we get to see some pretty cool upsets every year.  And yes, they happen EVERY YEAR….

In 2011, six FBS teams lost to an FCS team.  Three of them were P5/BCS teams.

In 2012, ten FBS teams lost to an FCS team.  Two of them were P5/BCS teams.

In 2013, 16 FBS teams lost to an FCS team.  Four of them were P5/BCS teams (not including AAC schools, who were technically BCS at the time.  But for the record, three AAC teams lost to an FCS team that year).

2014, eight FBS teams lost to a FCS team.  Only one of them was a P5 team.

And in 2015, nine FBS teams lost to an FCS team.  Three of them were P5 teams.

This weekend, of the 47 FBS-FCS matchups, 22 involve a P5 team (including Utah vs. SUU).  Are we likely to see an FCS team upset a P5 team this weekend?  I say yes.  Will it be the Utah-SUU game?  Hell no.  

But definitely someone is about to get pantsed.

• This topic was modified 7 years, 7 months ago by CincyUte.

89ute
      Ute Fan
      @89ute

Norther Arizona over ASU … but I don’t have the balls to actually pick it on the pick’em. BUT YOU DO! You’ll thank me later.

CincyUte
        Ute Fan
        @cincyute

I see you’re new with these games. Let me clue you in on something here: no one ever wins a Pick ‘Em contest by only making the safe picks. You might be inclined to take a conservative approach at first. That’s fine; I was the same way once. But you’ll change. And your life will never be the same again.

Having said that, OSU is a lock. In fact, I’m going to name the Beavers over the Gophers as my solid gold lock of the week.

89ute
          Ute Fan
          @89ute

You’re going to eat Gopher dung.

noneyadb
      Ute Fan
      @noneyadb

Curious as to what the personnel turnover rate was for those FBS teams.

CincyUte
        Ute Fan
        @cincyute

I don’t know, but a FCS team has to be fairly decent to pull off such an upset.

If you’re looking for a potential upset, here are a few to consider (current FCS Coaches Poll ranking in parenthesis):

(4)Richmond at Virginia
        (5)Northern Iowa at Iowa State
        (10)William & Mary at NC State
        (14)South Dakota State at TCU
        (16)Colgate at Syracuse
        (17)Eastern Washington at Washington State
        (18)Northern Arizona at Arizona State
        (19)Fordham at Navy
        (22)Villanova at Pittsburgh

By the way, apparently Southern Utah is #23. Huh.

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Fun with cfbtrivia, pt. 2