Gherke is brillant! This is what the legislature should do with 0.05

Viewing 2 reply threads
      3 1

PorterRockwell
      Ute Fan
      @porterrockwell

PSA Utethunder you might not like this link or his takes so I  thought it fair to warn you in advancehttp://www.sltrib.com/home/5098545-155/gehrke-four-ways-to-fix-this?page=1

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

Read the comments. 

1 2

UteThunder
      Ute Fan
      @utethunder

Hard to take him serious when he paints all cops as racists, but I will address his suggestions.

1. No way should drunk driving be an infraction, but I would be in favor of a graduated classification of offenses with accompanying penalties. The minimum should be a Class C Misdemeanor with a hefty fine, driving restrictions, education, and either some serious community service or a small amount of jail time. Make people who drink and drive, even at just .05, think twice about ever doing it again and significantly raise the penalties for higher BAC levels.

2. I don’t agree with this at all. I agree that there is some financial incentive for catching DUI drivers, but if you take that away from local municipalities, they may shift their focus away from catching drunk drivers which would result in more drunk drivers being left on the streets. How many drunk drivers that are caught before they make it home would have ended up in an accident? We have no way of knowing, but I guarantee you this: if enforcement of DUI goes down, DUI accidents WILL go up.

3. Agree totally. I’ve always struggled with the idea that businesses should be on the hook for the actions of their customers once they leave their establishment. If they are going to be held liable, then customers should be required to pass a breathalyzer before they are allowed to leave.

4. By all means, lets gather the data. If this new BAC level lowers the number of injuries, deaths, and property damage caused by DUI, it will be great to have proof.

Tony (admin)
        Admin/Founder
        @admin

Yes UteThunder #3 is completely retarded.  Drunks start drinking before they even get to the bar or restaurant.  They probably have a flask or something they drink from after.  So the bar/restaurant is responsible just because the drunk had 1/3 of his drinks at their place?  But the idiots who make the laws and don’t drink don’t think about stuff like that.

1 1

PorterRockwell
        Ute Fan
        @porterrockwell

Link to him painting cops as racists?

I’ve always said the penalty should fit the crime. And IF 0.05 sticks, note that even MADD did not support it then a graduated or tiered punishment we have graduated punishments and enhancements for other crimes why should DUI be different in your mind?

Why should the government require a bar to give a breathalyzer? Isn’t that govt infringing on business?

1 2

UteThunder
          Ute Fan
          @utethunder

Do you even know how to read?

I said: “I would be in favor of a graduated classification of offenses with accompanying penalties. The minimum should be a Class C Misdemeanor . . . and significantly raise the penalties for higher BAC levels.

And from the article you linked: “While you’re at it, use some of the money to train law enforcement how to avoid racial profiling, so the minority community is not unfairly targeted under the inherently subjective field tests under the new standard.”

Apparently Mr. Gehrke believes that the police are a bunch of racists who can’t help but specifically target minorities while enforcing the law.

1 2

UteThunder
          Ute Fan
          @utethunder

Oh, and another thing. I don’t view it as the government infringing on businesses by requiring bars to give breathalyzers; I view it as the government requiring customers to prove they are safe to drive which ultimately protects businesses. Is the government infringing upon businesses by requiring them to check customer IDs before serving them alcohol? 

Viewing 2 reply threads

The forum ‘Politics’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Politics Gherke is brillant! This is what the legislature should do with 0.05