Good news? Sounds like the players did not like ARod:

Viewing 2 reply threads

Utah
      Ute Fan
      @utah

“I feel like we’re more efficient and everybody just trusts the plan. I feel like everybody has bought in more than they bought in last year. It’s way more consistent this year,” he said. “We trust the plan, we trust the coaches, we trust the plays.”

Huntley said the difference between this year and last is that the team was not able to “catch a rhythm” and that they didn’t trust the plan. “You can’t go off of that. You’ve got to be able to trust something,” he said.

Receiver Raelon Singleton added that he feels there is “more of a sense of urgency than last year.”

Quarterback Troy Williams said he was “extremely excited” to have a coach that has played the game, particularly at quarterback, and can help improve the offense.

“Coach Taylor has been there and he’s played the position. He’s played in big games. He’s been coaching for a long time and he knows the game of football, especially when it comes to QB play and offensive play,” Williams said. “It just makes it easier for players to connect with him, especially with the guys that have already done it.”

Williams added that he’s researched Taylor and his track record and “his system proves to put a lot of points on the board.”

“His quarterbacks seem to do very well when they’re running his system, so I’m excited to run his system,” he said.

https://www.ksl.com/?sid=45205151&nid=635

2 1

UteThunder
      Ute Fan
      @utethunder

As I pointed out on uf.n, most of these comments are as much an indictment of Harding as they are of Roderick because they were co-OCs. The issues of “trust, buy-in, and rhythm” might be a result of having two guys trying to communicate one message, or they might be the result of neither guy being OC material. Either way, I don’t think the blame for our offensive problems can all be put on A-Rod. 

I’m happy we moved on from A-Rod and Harding as co-OCs, but until I see improved offensive production on the field, I’m reserving judgement as to whether we upgraded or not.

Utah
        Ute Fan
        @utah

I think the “consistency” comments back you up. 

But Williams goes after ARod specifically. 

Whitt said at PAC-12 media days that you need a QB coach who was a QB. 

Whitt also said everyone is buying into the system a lot more this year. 

Thats all good news up to this point. 

UteThunder
          Ute Fan
          @utethunder

Some of the comments do seem to apply more to Roderick, but Harding never played QB either, so those comments apply to him as well, IMO.

I agree, there is a lot of positive vibes out there regarding Taylor and his new offense. I find myself getting very optimistic, but then I think about our history with OCs combined with the seeming lack of experience Taylor has and my optimism is quickly tempered.

Fingers crossed he is the offensive savior we need. 

Utah
            Ute Fan
            @utah

I’m the same as you. I get optimistic and then I think of the last 9 OC’s…

Worst case scenario, Shyne is pretty damn good. Lol. 

Onlyu
              Ute Fan
              @uf8fl

So is Moss, DHC and I’m hearing the Green kid is very talented.  We’re set at the RB spot for years to come

Utah
                Ute Fan
                @utah

Yeah. I wonder if we see Green in the slot this year. Especially with how inconsistent McCormick and Dana have been. 

UteFanatic
        Ute Fan
        @utefanatic

This is the 9th OC in 10 years.  We’ve heard variations of these comments during Fall camp every single year.  I am with you in that I will not believe the pre-season offensive hype until I see improvement on the field.  

I will say, though, that I am incredibly impressed with Troy Taylor so far.  The way he describes his approach to offense seems really intuitive and you can tell he is very intelligent.

ironman1315
          Ute Fan
          @ironman1315

Watching the tape of his offenses you can see that each play has actions that build on each other and that each play builds on each other. It’s almost like a game is just a single play with this offense, one action leads to another and another etc.

We haven’t seen that since Chow. And that offense was really good considering the talent level. It also helped rip apart a solid BYU defense.

Onlyu
      Ute Fan
      @uf8fl

ARod was a good guy, loyal to the program while here, etc. but very quiet in the meeting room and on the field which makes you wonder about his ability to influence both Whit and his players. I have heard that he “talked about being a good offensive team” but the kids really didn’t believe or buy in after some early in game struggles…”didn’t feel like we were able to make adjustments quickly in game…felt like he didn’t know how to respond at times” He’s probably an average OC and I think that’s proven with his results…maybe Whit’s meddling and even Harding had something to do with it…IMO he’s good enough to win in the MWC but not consistently in the Pac12.

Taylor, I hear is similar to Holliday…outspoken and involved. Players already really like him a lot and BELIEVE in his system. He played and coached the QB position and has a very “simplified approach” which has made the transition very easy to grasp so far. They’re starting to figure out tempo, reads and already are making great progress over the spring. His system really is getting the ball into the playmakers hands quickly and in space…not just talking about it like we’ve heard in the past.

He’s said multiple times already to the offensive players that he wants to win 60-14 NOT 20-17!! Wouldn’t that attitude be a refreshing change. He “acts like he’s got full control” according to one in the QB room. Get off to a good start and I think he actually might!!

He just feels right to me…better prepared than anything we’ve had in a long time. Fingers crossed but I believe we have a good one in Taylor.

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Good news? Sounds like the players did not like ARod: