Got the first answer to my questions about Smith’s recruiting prowess

Viewing 4 reply threads
      3 21

chinngiskhaan
      Ute Fan
      @chinngiskhaan

Wilguens Exacte Jr just committed. Has offers from… wait for it…

East Carolina and George Mason. Man it feels good to steal a recruit out from under those national powerhouses! WE’RE BACK BABY!!

oh wait…

Yeah, our program is screwed unless Smith lucks out on a nobody from Europe or Africa or something.

6 7

chinngiskhaan
      Ute Fan
      @chinngiskhaan

We really should have s**tcanned LK before our program was in complete ruins.

Roy Rangum
        Ute Fan
        @royrangum

My Twitter feed is leading me to believe that Exacte is an incredible athlete with a lot of potential that wasn’t on other peoples radar. As Utah football made a name for itself through development and finding diamonds in the rough, I don’t think it’s impossible this could be similar.

However, given the state of the season, I’m not sure I’m ready to give Utah basketball the benefit of the doubt either…

8 1

AZUTE
          Ute Fan
          @azute

The season has been derailed by injuries and illness. The team has had Carlson, Anthony, Hoyt, Mahorcic, and Madsen all out at different times this season.
          Carlson the teams best player
          Anthony the best rebounder
          Hoyt best athlete
          Mahorcic is the muscle
          Madsen best most consistent 3 pt shooter.

The record would look very different if these 5 had been healthy all season

4 4

AZUTE
        Ute Fan
        @azute

This comment right here just proves how dumb you are.

Harlan’s hands were tied behind his back when it came to firing Larry. Utah couldn’t afford his buyout thanks to Chris Hill and Jon Huntsman and the ridiculous contract they have Larry.

Larry should’ve been fired two years ago when he really checked out. Believe me Harlan fired Larry the first chance he got.

5 4

chinngiskhaan
          Ute Fan
          @chinngiskhaan

Wait… you argue a point that I didn’t make… then insult MY intelligence? Bahahahahahaha!

Did I place blame on Harlan? You aren’t saying anything I disagree with. We both agree that it would have been better if he had been fired sooner.

4 8

AZUTE
            Ute Fan
            @azute

Listen Moron.

I argued your first point that Smith couldn’t recruit and then your second point that Larry should’ve been fired years ago which he should have been but Utah couldn’t afford it.

Do you honestly think Harlan didn’t want him gone the day he stepped on campus?

Larry quit Coaching and recruiting his last two years here. He was waiting to get fired.

1 3

chinngiskhaan
              Ute Fan
              @chinngiskhaan

Lol… so it’s ad hominem attacks now then eh? I already addressed every point you just made (for the second time for some reason).

AZUTE
      Ute Fan
      @azute

Exacte is already an upgrade over Brenchley and Madsen in the backcourt

He has a college ready body and is very athletic which the current team lacks in spades.

This is how Smith is going to have to rebuild the team. With transfers and under the radar guys.

Just remember before you post another stupid uneducated comment. Whit has made a career out of recruiting under the radar guys and turning them into great players. Let’s give Smith a couple of years to prove he can do it.

Distantute
        Ute Fan
        @distantute

No the team needs guys that can shoot. This guy doesnt sound like thats his game. Big body and athleticism are great – but if they cant score …. Its not football. Ill wait and see but given nobody was recruiting him it worries me.

AZUTE
          Ute Fan
          @azute

Have you even seen his highlights???

He’s a three level scorer

He can spot up and shoot.

If the defender runs up on him he can dribble around and pull up which looks like the best part of his game.

Then his ability to get to the rim.

Utah has nothing but standup shooters right now they need a guy who can pump fake and make something happen.

chinngiskhaan
        Ute Fan
        @chinngiskhaan

Here you go again building up that straw man and knocking it down.

Did I compare him to anyone else on the roster? No
        Did I say anything about his body? No
        Did I blame smith? No

This isn’t on smith, but it is a reality of our situation. Like I said in a previous post, if we can’t beat byu in a battle for maybe the most important recruit in the history of the program, who is a lifelong Ute fan… we are going to have to rely on lucking out with diamonds in the rough. Which is EXACTLY the point you just made!

He might be a great player. Smith might be able to help him develop. He did that at USU. He’s got to do it here also.

I don’t mind Smith. This isn’t his fault, but if he were an excellent recruiter he would have pulled in Chandler. Kyle is not an excellent recruiter, but he has an eye for talent. Maybe Smith does too. We’ll see.

I was simply pointing out that we now know for sure that Smith isn’t a good enough recruiter to pull in known commodities in spite of our programs current state.

AZUTE
          Ute Fan
          @azute

So much more went into the Chandler recruiting that you know nothing about. It just makes you look foolish and stupid

It wasn’t just Utah vs BYU basketball or Smith vs Pope. You forgotten about the Chirch pressure and the NIL deals that were promised to him. Scholarship availability when he returned from his mission in three seasons and much much more

radioUte
            Ute Fan
            @radioute

Oh come on now. We were all disappointed but let’s not go full Zoob. There was absolutely no scholarship crunch had our No.1 recruiting target for a team in complete disarray decided to wait two years.

chinngiskhaan
            Ute Fan
            @chinngiskhaan

Straw men, ad hominem attacks, and conspiracy theories… nicely done.

chinngiskhaan
            Ute Fan
            @chinngiskhaan

And let’s pretend that you are correct that byu outbid us for his services… or that we didn’t have a scholarship.

If byu is going to outbid us for the best b-ball recruits, Smith is screwed, Is he not?

If Smith didn’t boot someone off the team to make room, then he is a fool… but I don’t believe that is what happened.

Charlie
          Ute Fan
          @charlie

I believe it was the Jazz owner that decided where Chandler would go to school. It would have been interesting if Jon Huntsman was here to watch that process. I will give Smith some time since I don’t know who could do better with what he walked into.

RedUte14
      Ute Fan
      @redute14

Are we really allowed to call each other morons and idiots?
      I think something should be done or said about this toxicity. Sounds like 12 year olds playing video games.

chinngiskhaan
        Ute Fan
        @chinngiskhaan

Lol… there is only one guy calling people names… my feelings are very hurt.

Extra Medium
      Ute Fan
      @runningreddude

It’s basketball. Who gives a s**t? The only thing worse than the NBA is college basketball. Seriously guys you’re arguing over basketball. Think about it for a second.

GameForAnyFuss
        Ute Fan
        @gameforanyfuss

I give a s**t. Every college basketball game I watched this weekend was vastly more entertaining than any NFL game I watched this weekend.

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Basketball (Men) Got the first answer to my questions about Smith’s recruiting prowess