Great Jazz and Snyder article

Viewing 3 reply threads

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

There’s a reason coaches are generally hesitant to make rookies the focal point. It’s typically tough to let a young guy cook without torching your record at the same time. Only four rookies in NBA history have led their teams in scoring and had more wins than Mitchell and the Jazz do right now: Wilt Chamberlain (49 wins), David Robinson (56), Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (56), and Larry Bird (61). To put it in further context, LeBron James scored 20.9 PPG as a rookie and the Cavs won 35 games. Blake Griffin scored 22.5 PPG and Clippers won 32. Kyrie Irving scored 18.5 PPG and Cavs won 21. It’s not an easy call to make, and it represented something of a calculated gamble on Snyder’s part.

https://www.theringer.com/platform/amp/nba/2018/4/10/17217950/quin-snyder-utah-jazz-playoffs-winning-streak

Utah
      Ute Fan
      @utah

Mitchell is great. And so is Snyder. But I don’t want this to get lost in all this:

Rudy Gobert is a top 5 NBA player. He is special and he is the reason why we are in contention for the third seed. 

EagleMountainUte
        Ute Fan
        @battlegroundute

Defense has lead to offensive success agreed and it isn’t unusual or unexpected what Gobert brings. Snyder and Mitchell is the unexpected success story.  

Utah
          Ute Fan
          @utah

I think that Gobert is arguable a top 5, maybe top 3 player is the unexpected success story. 

Mitchell gets all the publicity because he scores points. But Gobert is why this team has a shot for the three seed. He is the reason why we are on this tear. 

Before Gobert came back, we were looking like a team that should hang it up and start tanking. 

EagleMountainUte
            Ute Fan
            @battlegroundute

Read the article the quote is from. 

Utah
              Ute Fan
              @utah

Good article. It even devolves down into a Mitchell is the reason why, although he does talk a lot of Gobert initially. 

Interestingly enough, Snyder talks mostly about Gobert as does Luke Walton. It’s not until he directly asks about Mitchell, does Snyder bring him up. 

He knows. Walton knows. Gobert is special. Mitchell looks like he can get there.

Fun stuff. 

Also, the Joe Johnson/Hood stuff isn’t surprising. The locker room was a mess with those two. I loved Joe last year, but it is good he is gone. Same with Hood. They would have set the Jazz back five years if we’d kept them and we’d lost Gobert along the way as well. 

EagleMountainUte
                Ute Fan
                @battlegroundute

My only knock on Gobert is that other centers have had great nights on him. There are plenty examples of him winning games with the defense. But with the outside shooters these days and especially with the playoff teams it is kind of over emphasized. Every team the Jazz need to beat will kill you from outside. Marc Gasol recently lit him up from outside. 

The other knock on him is his offense.  He needs to develop something a sky hook, a back to the basket move ANYTHING.  It is so nice when he gets 15-20 a night.

Mitchell has taken over stretches of games and turned games into their favor. Demanding a double team as a rookie is unique. I also really doubt any player outside of Mitchell gets 20 a night. 

ironman1315
                  Ute Fan
                  @ironman1315

If Rudy could make a jumper from ~15 feet out he would be deadly! Also, the Jazz gotta scheme the big shooters better. This is where I think Favs should be able to run ’em off the line and into Rudy. But I am also a b-ball idiot so WTF do I know.

EagleMountainUte
                    Ute Fan
                    @battlegroundute

Every team has a big who can shoot in the playoffs except the Jazz. I will say Jazz bigs are great passers

highlandute7
        Ute Fan
        @highlandute7

I keep wondering where we would be had Gobert not missed 26 games and if we could have been close to the 2nd seed.

TheNuschler
      Ute Fan
      @thenuschler

I think it had to happen the way it organically happened with Rudy out for that much time. Mitchell had to handle a load, Ingles and Ricky had to pick it up (and they’re playing at a Career all time level). Once Rudy got back with the Hood deal all the pieces had gone through serious adversity. BAM! They’re going to put up a serious fight cause that’s what Quinn demands and the team has bought into.

Ingles = Dunk Life

PlainsUte
      Ute Fan
      @plainsute

The reason is the playoffs, when the veterans stop coasting and start playing.

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Professional Sports NBA Great Jazz and Snyder article