Great Preview on Utah:

Viewing 1 reply thread

Utah
      Ute Fan
      @utah

Onlyu
      Ute Fan
      @uf8fl

Nice article…thanks for sharing. They actually did some research and mentioned the Bernard possibility which most have ignored (including the local media). That’s a huge piece! No news is good news with Francis right now so things are still very positive that he arrives soon. Pirtle, Vickers and Lewis don’t get much mention yet either but they will. Depth is really impressive the next two years across the board. Pirtle will play DE UNLESS Bernard doesn’t show. Tufua, Heninger, Tupai, Repp and Pirtle is pretty strong opposite Anae. Davir Hamilton could surprise there as well this year IF he shows up ready to go and it will be interesting to see how quickly Blake Kuithe can pick things up. Lloyd, Mata’afa and Hart add more depth at backer.

OL depth over last year is something that needs to be mentioned as well. While that group improved start to finish last year they really only had 6-7 guys ready…that number is at least 8 and probably 9 this year with the addition of Shirmer.

Enis is most likely going to take a year to develop and learn (similar to Thompson). It will be tough for him to break in the top 6 minus a couple of injuries so I don’t expect a lot from him this year (Vickers makes 7)…he’s got to be special to get any time. We’ll see.

GA is also a big part of the intangibles. Quality coach, however you feel about him, but more importantly he has intimate knowledge of PAC-12 team tendencies and previous game plan experience. That voice in Morgan’s ear will be invaluable.

Utah
        Ute Fan
        @utah

Good to hear about Pirtle. Ive been saying since signing he will be more valuable as a pass rush DE this year than a LB. 

EagleMountainUte
        Ute Fan
        @battlegroundute

Is Scalley better equipped now than he ever has been to use the five down lineman effectively? @uf8fl

Utah
          Ute Fan
          @utah

3-3-5. 

Onlyu
          Ute Fan
          @uf8fl

Better equipped??  Good question.  Maybe but …Riley, Orchard, Fanaika, Palepoi, Dimmick, Gianni, Mokofisi, Norris and Blechen in 2013 was a pretty good group.  Granted some of those guys were young and Scalley wasn’t the DC.  If we didn’t do it then we probably won’t under Whit.  

That said the depth this year is still better behind the front line guys and we’re much more versatile today then we were then so we can definitely throw a different look here and there.  Especially with the linebacker depth and skill set this year (with Bernard).

EagleMountainUte
            Ute Fan
            @battlegroundute

Well when he tried it his first season I think Fitts went down and it just didn’t work well enough with youth until now. 

RiseasUtes
          Ute Fan
          @riseasutes

I think too many teams play a 4-5 WR set to play 5 DL.  I think we have the guys to play it, but it will probably depend on the team we play on whether we use it or not.

I imagine we will have at least a Nickle CB(Guidry/Lewis) out there on 75-80% of the plays.  I would guess we will play a combo of a 4-2-5, 3-3-5, 4-3-4(standard 4-3) more often than anything else.

Anae, Fotu, Pututau, Tafua

Hansen, Barton(I prefer Thompson)

JJ, Guidry, Blair, Ballard, Blackmon 

Utah
            Ute Fan
            @utah

Your combo comment is right on. Look at it this way: 

You have Tonga, Fotu, Anae, Tafua, Hansen, Bernard, Blackmon, Johnson, Guidry, Blair and Ballard on the field. Are you running a 5-2? Sure. Fotu, Tonga, Anae, Tafua, Bernard on the DL. Hansen and Blair as LB. Blackmon, Johnson, Guidry, and Ballard as DB’s. 

Or, is it a 3-4? Fotu, Tonga and Anae on the DL, Tafua, Hansen, Bernard, Blair as LB’s, Blackmon, Guidry, Johnson, Ballard as DB’s. 

Or are you running a 4-1? Sure. Tafua, Anae, Fotu, Tonga as DL. Bernard as LB. Johnson, Blackmon, Guidry, Ballard, Blair, Hansen as DB. 

This defense is versatile as f**k. Fotu and Tonga (or Penisini or Pututau) can each take 4 OL. Anae will take two as well. We can play three down and fill gaps. 

We can blitz Hansen, Bernard, Pirtle, Blair, Johnson, Blackmon. 

We can man to man with Johnson, Blackmon, Guidry. 

The talent we have is soooo freaking deep. And I haven’t even talked about the DT’s (mentioned above), Barton, Thompson, Lloyd, Smith, Lewis, Afia, Davis, Mataele, Fabrizio, Hubert, Nurse, Strong, Heninger, Repp, Pirtle, Tupai. 

So, with that personnel we could be in a 3-4, 3-3-5, 4-2, 4-1 front. Hell, we can run Gary’s 1-5 front. 

Viewing 1 reply thread

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Great Preview on Utah: