Gunther and Ben on Tuttle ….

Viewing 7 reply threads

sweetgrass
      Ute Fan
      @sweetgrass

Have taken the position that the coaching staff botched the handling of Tuttle.  Their claim is that Shelly didn’t beat out Jack (based on the practices they witnessed) and Utah tried to slow play Tuttle to their own detriment.

Clearly aware that some of this from Gunthetr/Ben might be to stir up controversy and drive ratings, but they have taken the stance that because of Jack’s status he needed to be placed as at least the backup and should have played ahead of Shelly.  Old school thinking isn’t going to fly going forward.

Don’t necessarily agree with them, but its food for thought.

5 1

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

I don’t believe either of them. 

ironman1315
      Ute Fan
      @ironman1315

Gunther also said Covey wouldn’t amount to anything and die after one hit. We all see how that’s turning out.

3 1

EagleMountainUte
        Ute Fan
        @battlegroundute

“Pound for pound” cliche Covey is one of the best players I have ever watched play football. 

Hoo Ray Who?
      Ute Fan
      @mattybumbo

I just ended up switching off the radio. Those clowns are unlistenable at times. Even if there is some semblance of merit to their take, the chest thumping “told ya so” rhetoric is just tiring. You know what would drive ratings up? OFFER SOME QUALITY INSIGHT. There. With his amazing wealth of knowledge, I am SHOCKED that Gunther hasn’t landed a top-tier HC position somewhere in D1 football. Also, we get it. Covey is small. Rehashing the same lame-ass jokes day after day doesn’t make them funnier. 

I mean…it’s not like we’ve got a game coming up on Saturday or anything. 

sweetgrass
        Ute Fan
        @sweetgrass

I really like Ben Anderson, Gunther not so much

EagleMountainUte
          Ute Fan
          @battlegroundute

Ben Anderson is like a therapist talking with an addict. He eventually just relents to the madness. 

KiYi-Ute
      Ute Fan
      @kiyi-ute

Gunther is a hack. Playing time is earned at the U, it always has been. Remember in the Drive preview where Coach Shah said “it doesn’t matter how many stars come after your name”?.

If Tuttle wasn’t the clear #2 QB after being given multiple opportunities, that’s all there is to it. He could choose to stick it out and try to keep battling for the position, or transfer somewhere else. We all know what he chose to do.

I wish him luck wherever he lands and I hope Daniels decides to be a Ute.

UtahManPodcast
      Ute Fan
      @utahmanpodcast

While I never like to agree with Gunther, I think he has a point. In the limited reps I saw all the QBs it did seem to be 1. Huntley 2a Shelley 2b Tuttle. I think Tuttle was only 2b for redshirt reasons.

That being said I believe their is more to this whole story other than Tuttle is p**sed he wasn’t the first backup. 

1 2

Utah
        Ute Fan
        @utah

Yeah, no one transfers this early because they aren’t playing. We don’t have the whole story. Tuttle’s best shot at playing is still Utah. This transfer is mind boggling. It’s weird. 

Duhwayne
          Ute Fan
          @duhwayne

Agreed. Smacks of Heapsism, meaning parents messing it up.

Distantute
        Ute Fan
        @distantute

Why is it a mystery?  He wasn’t playing this year and wasn’t playing next year (in fact I posted this was likely long before the season started and said he may transfer and it wouldn’t matter). So now two years out with the prospect of Daniels coming he knows he may never play so he leaves.  And he leaves before Daniels may commit because that way it doesn’t look like he’s afraid to compete (which we know he is because he didn’t allow any other q.b scholies in his class).  Good luck to him but my guess is he never is more than a random college q.b given his lack of confidence (and didn’t look good in practice).  

2 1

EagleMountainUte
          Ute Fan
          @battlegroundute

It all makes Tuttle look bad imo. But I am sure a program will pick him up. Good luck to him. 

2 2

Utah
          Ute Fan
          @utah

Huntley has not played well enough to anoint him the starter next year. If Tuttle is as good as we were told he is, I’d fully expect him to beat out Huntley in spring ball. 

QB’s don’t transfer until after springball. This…this is odd. 

EagleMountainUte
            Ute Fan
            @battlegroundute

Huntley honestly has to feel a lot of weight off of his shoulders for his senior season. I can’t help but think how good of a wideout he would be personally. 

Central Coast Ute
            Ute Fan
            @flip2848

Read what OlnyU said regarding Tuttle. No way he beats out Huntley next year.

jrj84105
            Ute Fan
            @jrj84105

This is so wrong.  

1) nobody who watched Tutle play at the college level made any claims of his ability.  He was a great HS QB and a TBD college QB whose only body of work is losing out to Shelley and throwing nice balls to our 3rd string LBs in the spring game.

2) Players DECIDE to transfer a lot early than people find out.  With the new transfer clearinghouse, everybody will know as soon as a player decides to list himself.  There will be a buttload of transfer news in the next few weeks.

Hoo Ray Who?
          Ute Fan
          @mattybumbo

It’s pretty great timing for Daniels’ OV…if he was going to go, it’s pretty stellar timing if you ask me. You didn;t ask me, but if you did, that’s what I would say. Hypothetically. If you did ask. 

Central Coast Ute
        Ute Fan
        @flip2848

Playing time is the only thing that makes sense. Even OnlyU, who has proven to be a very reliable source, said Tuttle wasn’t going to play even if Huntley got hurt. Apparently the coaches don’t trust him. 

1 6

Anonymous
      Inactive

I didn’t hear the babbling duo, but I also think that Jack was mishandled. Utah should either have committed to RPO, cut him loose and tried to find another back-up type of QB, or they should have designed and implemented a package for Jack to get him some game speed reps. Screw the RS. Who GAF about RS anyway?  You basically have five years to work in a RS year, if necessary. Keep that RS year in your back pocket for when, if ever, you need to use it. 

If he wasn’t ready, if Shelley isn’t ready, that falls on the coaching staff. It’s their responsibility to get guys ready. Why the f**k aren’t guys ready? If you just recruited a stud horse you don’t treat him like any cart pulling nag. You get him ready. 

This is how I believe our coaching staff has failed Jack. I don’t blame the kid. Were I he, I’d not have come to Utah in the first place. 

Good for you young Jack Tuttle. Go to a place where you’re wanted. Good fortune young man. 

3 2

Utahute72
      Ute Fan
      @utahute72

“Read what OlnyU said regarding Tuttle. No way he beats out Huntley next year.”

I’m not sure you can make that statement based on what he said. He said that right NOW he isn’t ready, but that doesn’t mean that he could grow by leaps and bounds over the next year.

EagleMountainUte
        Ute Fan
        @battlegroundute

Coaches said that about him?  Where is he going to get that growth from?  Utah also isn’t known for developing QBs. I think Tuttle made a decision based on how he saw his situation then. 

Central Coast Ute
        Ute Fan
        @flip2848

Sure. Things can change. But people are who they are. Do I can day 99 percent sure that there was no way. If hesha head case as OnlyU says, he always will be.

Viewing 7 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Gunther and Ben on Tuttle ….