IDK

Ute Dub
      Ute Fan
      @chestercopperpot

Maybe they work it out and he stays?

dystopiamembrane
      Ute Fan
      @dystopiamembrane

Yesterday, I had a nice chicken strip basket at a bar in rural Oregon.

highlandute7
      Ute Fan
      @highlandute7

Wonder if OnlyU is laying low until something is officially announced or are we sure Holliday isn’t OnlyU?

Onlyu
      Ute Fan
      @uf8fl

Yeah he’s out. Don’t know anything about a replacement yet other than there isn’t an immediate fill. I think his best coaching days were behind him. Great guy and great recruiter but once the receivers got here I don’t think he was the best fit. Love the guy though and most of the kids who played for him would say the same thing.

MDUte
        Ute Fan
        @mdute

@OnlyU, does this have something to do with BT and Nacua leaving? Did they know he was getting fired and therefore wanted to leave? Or were they unhappy playing under him as a their position coach and left as a result…and this led to his firing?

Onlyu
          Ute Fan
          @uf8fl

Assume the transfers had to be the final straw. When he joined the program he was known to be a good recruiter but an average coach who didn’t really develop players, and that’s been the case for the most part.

However, the talk is that he’s also slipping as a recruiter and had almost no momentum with any receivers this past recruiting cycle so I think ultimately it led to his being let go. We had talent with 22-30 targets a game and outside of Covey we didn’t really ever have someone step up a demand 10-12 targets a game. That has to fall on his shoulders…not all his fault but add everything up and that kind of seems like where Whitt landed.

In fairness I’m not sure recruiting is easy with the style we’ve rolled out there recently however the lack of development with what we had plays a big part in why he was let go IMO.

Charlie
            Ute Fan
            @charlie

The WRs were not progressing as needed.  If it was one that could be on that one guy.  When it is the group, you need to question the position coach.  When the WRs don’t progress it makes the OL and QB look bad.  Still, when there is uncertanty and low production you need to make a change.  Our fan group has been quite tough on coaches, particuarly HCs, it is a bit odd there are questions around this change.  The timing is bad but if you reach the tipping point bad timing can’t save the day.  If there was one position group I would like to see improve it would be WR.  It is possible that much has been learned in the last few weeks.  But at the end of the day, the assistant coaches serve at the pleasure of the HC.  When I was young my dad had only one question about how I was doing at work.  It was, is your boss happy?  If Whitt becomes unhappy a change must happen.  That is football, if you want a protected job that would be teacher.  If Whitt didn’t try hard to improve, it would soon be him.

ironman1315
      Ute Fan
      @ironman1315

https://twitter.com/jholliday05/status/1366507156988596231?s=21

he’s definitely gone. And his son is back at it. 

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Guy Holliday still on Ute website