Hard-Rod vs Troy Taylor

Viewing 5 reply threads
      4 9

UteThunder
      Ute Fan
      @utethunder

It was only 2.5 quarters, but now that we have seen Williams and Huntley both in Taylor’s system, is it possible the problems under Harding and A-Rod were more due to lack of QB/WR talent than coaching?

A-Rod took most(all?) of the blame for our lackluster offense and poor QB play, but he didn’t have a sophomore Huntley or Carrington transfer like Taylor does. Even with Carrington, Taylor’s offense looked an awful lot like A-Rod’s once Williams came in. Another knock on A-Rod was his lack of QB development. Is it just me or did Williams look like he hasn’t improved at all from last year? 

For two years now we have heard what an amazing O-Line coach Harding is and everyone points out how masterfully he coordinated the run game last year, but he had 5 NFL guys on that line with an NFL runningback. He is still the OL coach this year, however, our OL has looked mediocre at best and the running game has been virtually non-existent compared to last year.

I like that we moved on from A-Rod and I think Taylor might be better, but seeing his offense with Williams at the helm makes me think the only real upgrade from last year’s offense to this year’s is the switch to Huntley. I’m very interested to see what Williams and the offense look like against Stanford and USC. 

gUrthBrooks
      Ute Fan
      @hammer

I reject the idea that the only real upgrade from last year and this years team is the switch to Huntley. The scheme is much better. The players love Troy Taylors offense vs. being apathetic at best towards A-rods no real direction system. Last year, Utah had Joe Williams and Armand Shyne and Garret Bolles, and Isaac Asiata, and Sam Tevi. It was a different team, so you can say there has been a drop off at RB and O-line…but can Troy Taylor control that in year 1?

IMO, Taylor had the balls to start a Sophomore over a Senior who went 9-4…A-rod would have never done that, IMO. Taylor had the balls to do it because he’s a QB expert, he played for Cal and was a 3rd round draft pick and his company got 80 QB’s into D1 & D2 programs. 

Uterider
        Ute Fan
        @uterider

I agree with every post in this thread, including the original post. Strong position on my part I know…

1 5

UteThunder
        Ute Fan
        @utethunder

2009 – Junior QB Terrance Cain started the season 6-1. He was benched at halftime of the Wyoming game in favor of true freshman Jordan Wynn who finished the season as the starter. A-Rod was the OC for that move so I don’t think you can claim he would have never started Huntley over Williams. As for the scheme looking better, when Huntley was in, I agree. When Williams came in, like I said, it looked eerily similar to the A-Rod offense we saw last year minus Joe Williams.

Also, I didn’t say Huntley was the only upgrade. Carrington is as well. A-Rod never had a WR close to Carrington and I wonder how much that, plus mediocre QB play, limited the offense he was able to create.

4 1

gUrthBrooks
          Ute Fan
          @hammer

Terrance Cain couldn’t make a pass further than 10 yards. Different story there. 

UteThunder
            Ute Fan
            @utethunder

Exaggerate much?

Williams has only completed half of his pass attempts for his career. A-Rod went with the younger player over the older one, despite great team success under the older player. Seems like it’s not a different story at all. 

3 1

highlandute7
          Ute Fan
          @highlandute7

I could be wrong but wasn’t Dave Schramm the OC that year? Also, we had scored 3 points that game going into halftime, trailing 10-3.  A little different situation than what is being discussed here.

Wasn’t that the year ARod went to Washington for a short time and came back? ARod was then Co-OC with Schramm in 2010.

4 1

Utah
      Ute Fan
      @utah

ARod was fired for one reason:

redzone production. 

I think Troy is who he is and he isn’t that good. Same for Bateman. There is a reason why he lost his job to a true freshman. 

The problem is, we still have red zone issues. We have to figure that out. I’m excited to watch the last two games again this weekend and see if anything stands out. 

As far as Harding goes, his OL always starts out slow and struggles with pass protection. And the OL is always a strength later in the year. I’m not worried. 

UM4G
        Ute Fan
        @um4g

Agree about the redzone production, and the O-line.

I think the issue with the redzone last year was no good passing game, but we had a strong running game.

This year we have the exact opposite, a good passing game and a mediocre running game outside of Huntley, plus the inexperience at O-line.

I think the redzone production will get better once the players get more in game experience. The offense is on the right track, they just need the experience to catch up before we see good results.

It took Tauteoli until about the last 3rd of 2016 for things to click, so if there’s no improvement in red zone production and pass protection by game 9 I’ll start to worry.

6 1

highlandute7
      Ute Fan
      @highlandute7

I see what you are trying to do but the first 5 words of your post are most relevant. TW has played for 2.5 quarters under Taylors offense.

I doubt the game planning in any of the 4 games thus far has been tailored to TW. Sure, things may not change too much but I would be shocked if we see as much running from TW has we saw with TH. I would think there will be a lot more handing off rather than option-reads (in the sense where the QB makes a decision on whether to give or keep). Who knows about the throw game. Could be similiar but we won’t know until we see a full game with TW along with a week or so of prep with TW. 

Completely agree with Hammer as well in regards to Taylor taking the road less traveled, especially at Utah, in starting a Soph over a Senior Captain. 

Let’s see how it goes during the time TW starts and plays and then see what we think. I think it is just premature given that TW has played in such a limited amount of time thus far.

shakeitsugaree
        Ute Fan
        @shakeitsugaree

Yes, exactly this

TW has played for 2.5 quarters under Taylors offense

Small sample size in effect

ladyinred
      Ute Fan
      @ladyinred

I think we’ll see a marked improvement against Stanford. Taylor has the extra week to gameplan to Troy’s strengths, and to coach him up on what they saw on tape against Arizona. It’s a little premature to judge Troy on that performance considering that was his first real action for the season and it came unexpectedly and under duress.

The run game was also slightly better against Arizona. It seems to have gone unnoticed that Zack Moss had over 5 ypc. I think they continue with that improvement. And I hear DHC is picking up the blocking schemes.

I don’t mean to sound like I’m not antsy for Tyler to be back, because he just has that it factor, but I am comfortable with Troy. I’m actually more worried about the Fitts injury as Stanford has those great RB’s.

gUrthBrooks
        Ute Fan
        @hammer

Damn, that is a mighty fine post. 

Onlyu
      Ute Fan
      @uf8fl

Still learning Taylor’s methods but I for one believe the offense has shown improvement in all 4 games so far…under ARod we saw regression as the season went on especially at the QB and WR positions.  That fact alone gives me confidence that he knows what he’s doing.  Additionally we have 3 four star WR Freshman recruits that are here because of his offense in Thompson, Hampton and Boyd with more to come.  They will be monsters before they leave.

O-line blocking schemes and speed of play are clearly different…and will take some time to mold but as Utah mentions Harding will continually improve them as the year goes on.  

Future is extremely bright.

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Hard-Rod vs Troy Taylor