Viewing 3 reply threads
      1 1

Anonymous
      Inactive

Utah
      Ute Fan
      @utah

I agree with Anderson on his premise, but don’t agree with this:

Whether Bateman or Troy Williams starts for the Utes in 2017, they’ll be at a disadvantage at quarterback against USC, UCLA, Washington and Washington State in conference matchups this season. Sometimes that’s all that matters.

We have talent. Bateman was just as talented as Washington and WSU’s QB’s. So was Troy Williams. Yeah, we don’t have Darnold or Rosen, but honestly, neither does Alabama or Ohio State.

We need someone who can coach these guys. Tuttle, who is coming in next year, is as talented as anyone in the country.

We have talent. Let’s hope Taylor can figure out something to do with that talent.

Anonymous
      Inactive

You could argue that a no huddle may increase snaps but wear out the defense quicker.  Looking back at 2016 it seemed like Roderick did an ok job almost. Red zone play calling was the issue though. Being so low in the Redzone because the play calling became so predictable. Also penalties were drive killers all season. I don’t envy the new offensive staff.  Maybe it was just Troy Williams or something.

I point at the Cal game last possession. IMO it was correct play calling but wrong player in the game. Shyne should have got the carries in those situations not Moss. Moeai shouldn’t have been the one you throw to. Williams could have ran it in etc.  

Also pace of play all season was poor. I hope Taylor can have Utah hurry up a little. Have Williams go under center more or maybe once at least. 

2 2

Utah
        Ute Fan
        @utah

If you take out Red Zone, ARod/Harding did a good job. That is why I was ok with keeping them and just hiring a QB coach.

I do agree with what you say though. We need to be more efficient. Let’s see if Taylor can do that for us and if Whitt will let him loose.

Our schedule is the hardest it has ever been this year. I’d expect 6-8 wins. That is what will make this even tougher. We won 19 games under ARod and Harding. We will take a step back this year, most likely. I hope people don’t unfairly blame Taylor for this.

Let’s give this guy a real shot. Let’s give him at least three years before we judge.

Anonymous
          Inactive

The dramatic decrease in red zone efficiency could be blamed on losing Wilson so it is completely valid for Roderick to not be blamed. But you dig into it and look at his choice of playcalling and the people he chose it makes you wonder. Now he dealt with injury all year with CBB and such but I blame him for a lot of the Redzone trouble. Against Byu it was pathetic to watch them get in the Redzone. 

jrj84105
            Ute Fan
            @jrj84105

The dramatic decrease in red zone efficiency could be blamed on losing Wilson so it is completely valid for Roderick to not be blamed. But you dig into it and look at his choice of playcalling and the people he chose it makes you wonder. Now he dealt with injury all year with CBB and such but I blame him for a lot of the Redzone trouble. Against Byu it was pathetic to watch them get in the Redzone.

The poor 2016 red zone performance was basically what we saw in the early ARod offenses (pre-Travis) which were also terrible. Travis Wilson was good in the RZ in spite of ARod- probably because TW’s bail pocket/scramble/gallop was more effective in the RZ than the called plays- or at least avoided a lot of big negative plays.

The mismatch between personnel and playcall was, IMO, the result of ARod’s Modular offense. Rather than a multiples offense that runs an integrated playbook with multiple personnel groups and formations, ARod ran an almost Modular offense with each personnel package/formation only capable of running its own limited playbook.

As a result, ARod couldn’t really “set up” defenses or build offensive rhythm by calling jab-jab-jab-cross play sequences. And when we got in the RZ he couldn’t change personnel without tipping our hat to the upcoming play.

Anonymous
              Inactive

Utah was 77.8% in 2016

91.8% in 2015

84.4% in 2014

Seems like historically Utah is around an 80% team under Whittingham.

http://www.cfbstats.com/2016/team/732/redzone/offense/split.html

Idk if you can put it all on ARod. Don’t get me wrong I have wanted him gone for years. Wideouts haven’t improved under him. Quarterbacks regressed as the season progressed. I was singing hallelujah when he left to TDS-P. I liked the offense in 2012 but Redzone wise Norm Chow was poor.

sweetgrass
      Ute Fan
      @sweetgrass

I saw a tweet today that Troy had the 2nd most dropped passes in the country (36)

Anonymous
        Inactive

That feels like an improvement from 2015.

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football hard to argue with Ben Anderson on this one