Honest question regarding Oregon and Recruiting

Viewing 2 reply threads
      2 1

Trailgoat
      Ute Fan
      @utahgoat

Looking back to their history Oregon’s path is similar to Utahs with of course being in the P12. One constant back to the Belotti years is they have consistantly recruited top-level 4-5 star level players across the board. They have a clear defined brand and I get the Phil Knight money tree. Eugene is a cloudy moss pit so it’s far from an Oasis.

If you look at Utah’s recruiting in the past ten years recruiting has improved with getting more of the 3 star recruit players, but very little movement picking up 4 to 5 star recruits. Utah pays (on the record) more than all other P12 teams for recruiting and consistantly lands at the bottom in terms of H.S. talent comparison.

Spin the 3 star player development it all you want, 4-5 star recruits matter. USC, Oregon, Washington, and now ASU, and Colorado are landing a lot of the big time players Utah is not getting. 

The graphic put up on the P12 network post game showing the player recruiting disparity comparing Utah to the other schools they’re ranked next to is staggering. Again, I get the development of the 3 star guy and portal lotttery thing is Utah’s niche and spin. That said, if Utah truly is going to compete yearly with these teams they need to start landing better talent. Would be nice to have a solid load of 4-5 star recuits to develop.

Why does Utah not see much recruiting improvement with all the success while spending at the top of the P12?

Not critizing here as I enjoy watching the hard working players Utah has and appreciate the kids who have worked so hard. Truly grateful for the Florida kids taking a big leap choosing Utah, without them Utes would not be in this place with such a memorable season. Go Utes!

crazyute
      Ute Fan
      @crazyute

I think this class will be a change from there norm. We have a very good possibility of landing 2 instate 4* DL. Both stee long and athletic. Something we haven’t really had.

UteHorn21
      Ute Fan
      @utehorn21

Gotta start locking down the instate kids first and foremost. The last 5 recruiting classes (2015-2019l from the state of Utah have had 17 4* or better players. The Utes have landed 1……

Lock down the home state and supplement heavily with Texas, California, and Arizona. Sprinkle in the Southeast states and the midwest and you can fill out a solid roster.

I would also emphasize the junk OOC games Utah has been playing. Big time recruits like to play in big time games. Get the South Dakota’s and Northern Illinois of the world off the schedule. Would be nice to see an out of conference schedule consisting of one tier one school and 2 tier two schools. Something like:

Florida
      Wyoming
      BYU

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Honest question regarding Oregon and Recruiting